Modern Gretsch Guitars

New 2021 Gretsch models

That player's edition Duo Jet in any color does it for me.

Yowsa! Those are some tasty offerings. The Tennessee Rose caught my eye too! The Gretsch site has very unflattering photographs, I bet in the proper light and with the proper exposure, that Rosewood Tenny would pop out of the page like nobody's business.

Of all the guitar sites, I think that Gretsch has the worse photos. They just look flat and uninteresting, but we all know better. Gretsch has some of the most beautiful and attractive guitars out there, it's a shame that they don't take advantage of it with better pictures.

I think communicating the vibration of the string to the top along the expanse of a bridge base makes for a more complex, harmonically rich tone by comparison to direct-injecting it through two metal studs into a block. And I think liveliness behind the bridge lends still more harmonic complexity - Proteus

Yep, this is exactly why I'd buy a Gretsch rather than a Les Paul or a PRS. Because I'd be after THAT!

– ThePluckedString

Yes I think you're on to something here. There is something about the overtones and bloom of my Duo Jet that sound beautiful to my ears that no other guitar achieves.

Geez, if only they had actually sold the '89 model spec Duo-Jet in 1989! There's some sort of time-loop that would happen if that was the case, and FMIC never would have been introduced. LOL

What's wrong with this line...

Parallel tone bars connect the top and back of this guitar for authentic vintage tone.

From the description of the Rosewood Tenny? Either that's some radically new construction (it isn't), it's a sloppy paste-together - like someone took the description of a guitar with trestles and badly edited it for this one - or someone writing copy seriously misunderstands the instrument.

I know how hard it is to get all this stuff right on a website, and I know equally that FMIC web staff are always overloaded with work and pushed to superhuman efficiency. But frequent mistakes and oversights in copy and specs on the Gretsch site make it impossible to depend on what it says in any particular situation.

Pretty sure FMIC staff also relies on the site to answer questions for dealers and customers. So unless we know someone on the inside with personal familiarity with every guitar (and I don't anymore), or somehow have the opportunity to inspect each one ourselves to confirm the information (likewise), it's something between a crap shoot and a leap of faith to rely on the published spec.

Mahogany Fest!

Dig-deeper detail (which I hope is accurate).

Both the standard and junior new centerblock doublecut Streamliner "FideliSonic P90" guitars look at first glance like slight updates of 2019-2020's P90 Streamliners, with a pickup change and some cosmetics. (Both visible on this page: https://gretschguitars.com/...)

But au contraire, mon freres: instead of the usual Gretsch lam maple bodies, they are spec'ed as mahogany throughout - top, sides, back, neck. (With "chambered spruce centerblock.") Gotta say that, along with (potentially) interesting new pickups, puts one on my lustlist.

They've also done away with the full-width block fret markers I had to cover up on my gunmetal 2622 (from 2019 and recently modded), replacing them with attractive and demure ovals. (Not Gretsch-historical that I know of, but an improvement.) And new arrowtop knobs that look a bit Baldwin-70s, about which I'm enthusiastically ambivalent.

And I know I was wishing for a junior doublecut centerblock from Gretsch...but now that I see one, the body shape isn't working for me. The ears look flattened and spread by comparison to the full-size doublecut (possibly a proportional illusion) - and that's not lighting me up - but worse is the shape of the lower bout. To me it looks kinda freakishly squashed-round.

I hope they didn't build them just for me. (I would also only want one with Bigsby, and that version only come in three tu-tones - colors over mahogany stain - none of which appeal.)

Oh boy... there's some gorgeous stuff in there. It has me checking my couch cushions for spare change.

1989 is a Vintage Reissue? Am I THAT old???? Sheesh. I'm sure they are much better than those 11 pound heavy metal neck ceramic filtertron 1989 models.

Yep, the all-mahogany 2622 Fideli90 has me written all over it.

Oh boy... there's some gorgeous stuff in there. It has me checking my couch cushions for spare change.

1989 is a Vintage Reissue? Am I THAT old???? Sheesh. I'm sure they are much better than those 11 pound heavy metal neck ceramic filtertron 1989 models.

– JBGretschGuy

I figure that my daughter was born in 1997, and if her age range is a target market, then "vintage" just means, "Before you were born". That fits, right?

My guitars are all older than she is, so to her they are "vintage", to me they're not.

It's all marketing anyway.....

The Tri-Five had me for a second, but only a second. It falls short of capturing much of anything; a weak reference to the jalopy being referenced. Then again, following Proteus' line of thinking, perhaps its mundane assertion reflects what should be the true status of the Tri-five. Maybe Gretsch will issue a Bel Air next year.

How can an '89 model Jet have 'period correct' chambering? They weren't chambered in '89, this is something FMIC reintroduced.

There're some butt-ugly guitars listed there, anyone else think Gretsch has lost its way a bit?

– Deke Martin

A bit? A lot if you ask me. Have you seen that lumpy streamliner centerblock JR doublecut thing?!? That truly has to be the ugliest turd of a guitar ever to have Gretsch on its headstock. Makes even the most awkward Baldwin designs look great

And you're right about the 89 reissues...I was wondering if they came with those awkward ABM roller bridges, ceramic 8K pickups, self-removing strap-pins, mini pots and "guaranteed to malfunction" pickup selectors..haha! Oh, the good old days of the GDP!

Anyway - looking at those new offerings does feel like the 90's all over again - we could use Mike Lewis again to uhm..."correct some things"!

Looking at all those tension bar Bigsbies, generic 'buckers and ugly body shapes, Gretsch have certainly made it a lot harder to distinguish their new guitars from all those butt-ugly copies on Aliexpress!!!

Waaiiillll, I dunno Walter. I agree that the Jr Streamliner doublecut is pretty not pretty - with inherent body proportion issues that no amount of hardware replacements can fix. But, I ask you: for ugly, is it really worse than the Astro-Jet?

We can ignore the '89 as an odd Gretsch production year to nostalgiate about - but, at least, having decided to go there, they did not replicate all the bad stuff and instead made it something like maybe it ought to have been in the first place. Not that I was itchin' for a do-over on that one, but maybe it's warm and fuzzy for some people.

By my count, there are 9 guitars on those 4 pages with the GeneriDumbuckers (or whatever they're calling them now - they ain't foolin' me). Out of 48 products shown, that's not horrible. Well, I mean...any of them are too many, but when you need an econoline pickup for a (very well made) 400.00 guitar, where you gonna turn?

Also, I swar tew gawd, most of the guitars on those 4 "New Products" pages aren't new for 2021. There's a lot of stuff left there from at least last year, I think, if not before that. Without trawling the specs of every guitar on the entire site, I can't prove it. But I'm pretty sure. (Also, the 5622 Centerblock appears twice - on pages 1 and 4. At least I haven't found any difference between the listings.)

I'm harping on this, because if we knew what was really new this year, and not left over, we could make more definite outraged judgments about which way the brand is headed. As I said above, my first impression was that there are more traditional (and nicely tweaked traditional) builds than I'd feared there would be. I was surprised to find a couple-three I'd like to have. (Not because Gretsch doesn't make guitars I like - just because I have pretty much every base covered with my fleet from the last 15 years of Golden Age.)

Also, we'd have to massage the new introductions in with the entire line to draw good conclusions about the proportion of yeah-that's-a-Gretsch to not-so.

And also also...even if some of the dumbuckin' tension-bar models aren't (nearly) as Gretschy as they ought to be, they are well made and a decent value, and may prove to be starting points for guys who otherwise would never try a Gretsch - and at least they can be modded to get Gretschier. I remain very impressed with my two Streamliners, and not just "for the money." They're just seriously nicely built and great-playing guitars.

I like astro jets a lot, and think of them as 60's Gretsch quirkiness. It's "over the top" in typical Gretsch fashion - jimmie Webster on LSD.

They're certainly not generic, as a lot of the recent Gretsch releases are more and more.

The 89 reissue is kind of funny, but at least I totally get it : they might as well have called those the "Seattle series". There's a whole generation of young-ish working adults out there who can afford them, and they grew up on Soundgarden videos that imprinted those Jets on their minds forever as "a Gretsch". That gold sparkle finish is certainly not a coincidence or random choice.

The rosewood Tenny is definitely interesting. It’s very well specced, and something a bit different. The copper Falcon is cool too. Neither have me reaching for my wallet though.

There’s a serious dearth of Dynasonics. The only thing that would get me really hot under the collar would be a new dyna Country Club.

In blonde or sunburst, please.

If Gretsch sells aftermarket FideliSonic 90 pickups and they fit a standard P90 route they may have a lot of customers.

If Gretsch sells aftermarket FideliSonic 90 pickups and they fit a standard P90 route they may have a lot of customers.

– BuddyHollywood

Why? We haven't even heard them yet, and there's already a billion aftermarket P90s available.

Even the ad copy is the same generic shit you could say about any pickups:

These single-coil pickups are modeled after P-90 pickups from bygone eras, but with a twist that appeals to the modern player. They have all the warmth and bite you expect from a P-90 plus a well-defined treble response that helps them stay clear when you're playing dirty.

Why? We haven't even heard them yet, and there's already a billion aftermarket P90s available.

Even the ad copy is the same generic shit you could say about any pickups:

These single-coil pickups are modeled after P-90 pickups from bygone eras, but with a twist that appeals to the modern player. They have all the warmth and bite you expect from a P-90 plus a well-defined treble response that helps them stay clear when you're playing dirty.

– Otter

I think they will be in demand because they are staple style P90s which means slug magnets. Traditionally Staple P90s are really expensive. I love the attack of slug magnet pole pieces.

I think they will be in demand because they are staple style P90s which means slug magnets. Traditionally Staple P90s are really expensive. I love the attack of slug magnet pole pieces.

– BuddyHollywood

THIS.

Unfortunately (though, fortunately for my wallet), none of the new guitars do anything for me.

Well, looking and sounding can be different things. I won't know till I play one.

Hopefully, the Gretsch staples will deliver more clarity than the mid-thick ka-chunk I typically get from these...

– BuddyHollywood

I maintain we haven't heard them and the description is generic. There's no reason to expect they'll be any better than other Korean P90s. If they were vintage-correct Staples I'd think they'd be advertised as such. I'd love to be proven wrong, but just because they look like staple pickups doesn't mean they'll share the same construction. Gretsch isn't known for their Staples, but they are known for a pickup which is constructed identically; why wouldn't they just put Dynasonics in these?

Maybe it's just the sweeping unoriginality of the rest of that catalog has me skeptical.

A brand named "Roswell" sells (and makes?) a rather inexpensive variant of this pickups for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Gretsch uses exactly these.

https://www.musicstore.de/d...

Some of the 2021 offerings are pretty interesting, but once again - no chunkier (say 50s spec.) neck options. Cmon Gretsch, even Gibson, Fender, and G&L offer chunkier necked guitars. I'm not asking for a baseball bat neck - even a Medium C with some shoulders would be nice.

A brand named "Roswell" sells (and makes?) a rather inexpensive variant of this pickups for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Gretsch uses exactly these.

https://www.musicstore.de/d...

– sascha

Precisely.

I don't see any pole adjustment mechanism, so rectangular magnets does not automatically equal "staple pickups".

Register Sign in to join the conversation