Modern Gretsch Guitars

Need info on 6120 DS 2003

Hi there! I need some schooling on that one!

This is a 2003 6120 DS. A few question: - is this already a "FMIC" ? - what kind a bracing? or sound post? - Make of DeArmond? (TV Jones?) - general view on quality and sound of that model? (compare to the latest 55VS for example)

Thank you

I have a 2007 DSV, only difference is Vintage finish hence the V to the one you posted. Made in Japan, quality is excellent. Sound post and they had stock Gretsch Dinasonics, mine had Seymour Duncan on by previous owner who sold it and bought the 6120 DE model. I like my pickups amazing clean single coil sound however with a lot more going for them, I think the stock Gretsch ones at that point in time were not too well rated perhaps. I play the Twang stuff and finger pick, my guitar guitar is well used. The 55VS looks rather good though if you want spend that kind of money, DS and DSV a rather lower key perhaps.

I believe this model is based on a 56, when they took away some of the western stuff before going to the 57 model with humpblock inlays. So no G brand, cacti and whatnot on the inlays, and no steer on the headstock

I think they were introduced when Duane Eddy moved to Gibson and had his own model there after having a Gretsch 6120 DE made before he left, came back and now a super Gretsch 6120DE in the current line up and made to specific Duane Eddy specs from his original one back in the 50s, I think that's correct.

I believe this model is based on a 56, when they took away some of the western stuff before going to the 57 model with humpblock inlays. So no G brand, cacti and whatnot on the inlays, and no steer on the headstock

– Chmason85

"Based on" is the right description. Modern Gretsch has been mixing and matching features from different vintage years for some time. Thankfully, they've been more consistently accurate these days.

I've owned a 2004 DSV and a 2004 DS, both Terada builds. The differences between them are cosmetic as best I can recall. The DS models seemed to come with a very nice birdseye top. The orange finish was paler on the DSV.

DS

In many ways, the DS, DSW and DSV could be called The Gretsch Pages guitars. When Fender was signing the agreement with Gretsch, the first thing Mike Lewis did was come here, listen a bit, and talked to us about what we wanted to see. At the time the 6120-60 was probably the best of the 6120 line, and while it's a fine guitar, it wasn't what folks really wanted: much more faithful recreations of the various 50s models. While the DS models were not exact recreations of any particular year, they were what we had asked for. They were runaway hits, and quickly established that Fender wanted to listen to us and give us what we were clamoring for -- something that hasn't changed much since!

I still have the prototype and catalog model DSW, which was given to me by the fine folks of this site, and I still cherish it completely. What a great guitar, and a great moment for Gretsch and this site!

Thanks guys!

Looks like a nice one. I like the cleanness of the design without G brand and with the square inlays.

How is the neck on that model? Is this the very thin one as on DE models?

Laminate Maple body Soft Venetian cutaway 16" lower bout 3-piece Maple neck Ebony fretboard Pearloid "block" position markers Pearloid "Horseshoe" and logo on headstock 24 1/2" scale 1 11/16" nut width Gold Lucite Chet Atkins "Signpost" logo pickguard Nickel plated Bigsby tailpiece Other hardware is gold plated Twin Dyna-Soic pickups 3-way pickup selector Master volume, volume for each pickup, master tone Metal nut Bindings: 2-ply top, back and f-holes Single-ply fretboard Metal compensated bridge top on Rosewood base Original hardshell case included business signs Cincinnati Ohio

Register Sign in to join the conversation