Modern Gretsch Guitars

Need advice about buying right Gretch..

Don't worry about the bridge. If it moves, pin it. If it doesn't, leave it alone. It really seems to depend mostly on playing style.

Thank you for the info about neck profile on 5422,i didnt know that.

Im more convinced now to buy duo jet. I was reading about floating bridge and "problems" that come with it. Alot of people were saying that the bridge shouldnt be pinned and with right setup it should work fine and stay in place.

Buddyhollywood, you pinned your bridge or its floating?

– Lukec

Yes I have a floating bridge. I had to sand the feet of the base to match the contours of the guitar's top to make it fit more snug. I just layed a piece of sandpaper (gritty side up!) where the bridge base would be and then moved the base back and forth until the contours of the feet of the base matched the contours of the guitar's top. It only took a few minutes.

My bridge is not pinned but I have no opinion for or against it. It is pretty secure but it has on occasion moved when I banged it by accident. For regular playing it seems to stay where it's supposed to. Since I added a compensated bar bridge called a Tru-Arc Serpentune I do like having the flexibility of being able to move the bridge around for perfect intonation.

Another thing I would like to suggest is when you're ready and if you're going to buy online, reach out to Rocky at Street Sounds or Joel at Shanghai. They are both sponsors of this site and will most likely give you the best deal. I bought my Duo Jet from Rocky. He had it advertised as used but it was in mint condition. I asked him what happened and he said someone bought it and returned it immediately for a Custom Shop model. I basically got a brand new guitar for a used price.

Both of these guys deal in high volume and they know Gretsch guitars.

Thank you for the info about neck profile on 5422,i didnt know that.

Im more convinced now to buy duo jet. I was reading about floating bridge and "problems" that come with it. Alot of people were saying that the bridge shouldnt be pinned and with right setup it should work fine and stay in place.

Buddyhollywood, you pinned your bridge or its floating?

– Lukec

Who are these "a lot of people" and what websites were saying not to pin it. Anyone saying pinning, either mechanically using pins or using bow resin, will create a problem is blowing smoke. The only 'problem' is with the base; that it isn't contoured and that's the first step. For a lot of players, this is a sufficient fix to stop the base from moving. A more important issue, once the base is contoured properly is which bridge style you prefer. This is a separate topic really with lots of opinions what constitutes 'the best'.

I said earlier that you have the option of either pinning the bridge or using bow resin to secure it to the top after you properly contour the base. Buddy reiterated what I said, that you need to do this first and that's sand the base to contour to the top. I've found most guitars oddly enough, do not have the base properly contoured.

Many around here don't want any holes drilled into the top but Gretsch is doing this at the factory on more guitars these days. By using bow resin, you can both move the bridge/base around to intonate it but it also leaves you open to putting on a different bridge and use the resin trick again.

Who are these "a lot of people" and what websites were saying not to pin it. Anyone saying pinning, either mechanically using pins or using bow resin, will create a problem is blowing smoke. The only 'problem' is with the base; that it isn't contoured and that's the first step. For a lot of players, this is a sufficient fix to stop the base from moving. A more important issue, once the base is contoured properly is which bridge style you prefer. This is a separate topic really with lots of opinions what constitutes 'the best'.

I said earlier that you have the option of either pinning the bridge or using bow resin to secure it to the top after you properly contour the base. Buddy reiterated what I said, that you need to do this first and that's sand the base to contour to the top. I've found most guitars oddly enough, do not have the base properly contoured.

Many around here don't want any holes drilled into the top but Gretsch is doing this at the factory on more guitars these days. By using bow resin, you can both move the bridge/base around to intonate it but it also leaves you open to putting on a different bridge and use the resin trick again.

– Windsordave

Im thinking, how can Gretsch even afford that bridge isn't perfectly contoured with the top arch, that should be done in factory.. Well, hope they read forums and correct/improve things by reading what ppl want and don't want. :)

Im thinking, how can Gretsch even afford that bridge isn't perfectly contoured with the top arch, that should be done in factory.. Well, hope they read forums and correct/improve things by reading what ppl want and don't want. :)

– Lukec

Because it's not an uncommon issue, I'm convinced the bases are simply set on the top and given a visual inspection to check on just how flush they fit. The problem is, the base isn't under tension from the strings so when it is, depending on the style and area of each foot, the outer ends may lift, allowing the base to 'skate' on the top's surface.

Everyone has their own style of strumming/picking which may or may not have a tendency to dislodge the bridge/base.

"Almost exactly" 7 years ago(give or take a few days), I found this wonderful forum and posed the same question. Mine was a little easier as I knew the sound I wanted so it came down to a bunch of Setzer models with a little Rev Horton Heat model thrown in for that ever present alternative.

I got myself a Black Phoenix from Rocky at Street Sounds and still love it with zero regrets.

Up to that point, I only played Fender Strats but I was sure the hollow body experience would go fine as I also played equal amount of acoustic.

My 2nd Gretsch is an '08 Electromatic 5126 and love that baby too.....completely different beast but love it all the same and play it a lot. I bought from a member here. It got to me in mint condition and still is that way.

Good luck!

Hey guys.. So I was doing some research from your comments and reviews on this forum.. even went to one store and try 5420, 5422 and jet body style..

For me 5420 body style is quite too deep, bulky for my taste.. I don't know, maybe I am used to solid body (used to play PRS custom 24) guitars.. The thinner 5422 body style it was great, sitting great in lap.. again Im not so used to 16inch body style, but its much better than 5420, more confy.. I tried Jet version (electromatic one).. I know its not totally the same as professional, but again its much more to my style of guitar..

Well, I got great "new years" deal on the g6128t duo jet model so I ordered it.. Im now waiting to be shipped to my place.. can't wait! :)

I will post some pictures when I get the guitar and make some review later after some time of use. :)

Congratulations on finally reaching a decision and for your eventual acquisition of the Duo Jet. I wish you many years of fun times with it.

Awesome choice! The Gretsch Duo Jet is my favorite electric guitar made by anyone. I look forward to your review. Congratulations!

Congrats on getting the duo jet! It was my first gretsch(1957RI). I traded an Avri jazzmaster for it about 11 years ago with no regrets. It's the easiest guitar to play in my opinion. I played and gigged it almost exclusively since then as well. Now, I switch around a bit but will never sell the jet.

Did you get it with filtertrons or dynasonics?

I just recently upgraded to t-Armonds six months ago after ten years with the original dynas. Yesterday, changed to 1meg pots, and it's so much better. If you've got the dynas and ever want the t-armonds, I recommend changing the pots. If you ordered the filtertron version, I've never tried a HS filtertron, but love my setzers and classics in my other guitars. Either way, I'm sure that you'll be happy. A good jet can take whatever you throw at it.

Congrats on getting the duo jet! It was my first gretsch(1957RI). I traded an Avri jazzmaster for it about 11 years ago with no regrets. It's the easiest guitar to play in my opinion. I played and gigged it almost exclusively since then as well. Now, I switch around a bit but will never sell the jet.

I just recently upgraded to t-Armonds six months ago after ten years with the original dynas. Yesterday, changed to 1meg pots, and it's so much better. If you've got the dynas and ever want the t-armonds, I recommend changing the pots. If you ordered the filtertron version, I've never tried a HS filtertron, but love my setzers and classics in my other guitars. Either way, I'm sure that you'll be happy. A good jet can take whatever you throw at it.

– Cirecc

Thanks everyone!

Cirecc: I decided to get the filtertrons version just because I want little bit more power from pups, but who knows maybe I'll swap to dynas someday.. we'll see...

So the hardest thing now is waiting so they ship guitar to me.. grrrr i really dont like that! :P

Anyone maybe know if Duo jets come with treble bleed mod or not? Never tought about it.

Filters are great, maybe someday I'll have a filtertron jet, but I don't need any help trying to justify another guitar.

Are they normal filters or is it the powertron jet?

Filters are great, maybe someday I'll have a filtertron jet, but I don't need any help trying to justify another guitar.

Are they normal filters or is it the powertron jet?

– Cirecc

They are normal filtertrons from gretsch. I dig the sound of them.. Tv jones from power jet are quite too powerful for my taste..

– Cirecc

I don't want to derail the thread but you are the first person I've heard that has T'Armonds and 1 meg pots. When I switched to 1 meg pots with the Gretsch Dynasonics I felt it corrected the muddy neck pickup problem. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the differences between the stock Dynasonics and the T'Armonds with 1 meg pots.

I don't want to derail the thread but you are the first person I've heard that has T'Armonds and 1 meg pots. When I switched to 1 meg pots with the Gretsch Dynasonics I felt it corrected the muddy neck pickup problem. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the differences between the stock Dynasonics and the T'Armonds with 1 meg pots.

– BuddyHollywood

Well, I had the common complaint of a muddy neck and weak bridge pickup. I gigged the crap out of that guitar for 10 years, so those pickups had also seen better days (lots of sweat from shows and practices). I used to use the neck pickup most of the time but played through a reverb unit into blackface fenders. Brightness wasn't an issue, but I rarely used the bridge pu because it seemed a bit weak in comparison.

So, compared to the worn and corroded looking but still functional dynas, the t-armonds were an improvement. They sounded nicer, the pickups are much better balanced. However, it was still a bit dark and I had to use the bridge to cut in a mix. I learned that vintage jets had 1 megs, and I was leaning towards the change from the stock 500k (which likely had seen better days as well) already.

The 1megs cleared up that darkness for me. It has a little bit of strattiness to it now (in a good, clear and woody way - it doesn't sound like a strat). I can get nice clean tones out of the neck pu and the bridge has the twang it was missing. It still sounds full but with clarity and bite.

Sorry for the life story.

Well, I had the common complaint of a muddy neck and weak bridge pickup. I gigged the crap out of that guitar for 10 years, so those pickups had also seen better days (lots of sweat from shows and practices). I used to use the neck pickup most of the time but played through a reverb unit into blackface fenders. Brightness wasn't an issue, but I rarely used the bridge pu because it seemed a bit weak in comparison.

So, compared to the worn and corroded looking but still functional dynas, the t-armonds were an improvement. They sounded nicer, the pickups are much better balanced. However, it was still a bit dark and I had to use the bridge to cut in a mix. I learned that vintage jets had 1 megs, and I was leaning towards the change from the stock 500k (which likely had seen better days as well) already.

The 1megs cleared up that darkness for me. It has a little bit of strattiness to it now (in a good, clear and woody way - it doesn't sound like a strat). I can get nice clean tones out of the neck pu and the bridge has the twang it was missing. It still sounds full but with clarity and bite.

Sorry for the life story.

– Cirecc

So you changed the pickups then the pots. I changed the pots and liked the results so I currently don't feel the need to change the pickups. I also put a TV Jones Dynasonic riser under the bridge pickup to get it closer to the strings. This helped the balance issue between the bridge and neck pickups with the stock Dynasonics. I know exactly what you mean regarding the strattiness. I agree completely.

I'm curious what the difference would be if I installed some T'Armonds. I love the tone of my guitar now though so I don't know if that will ever happen unless the pickups happen to go bad somehow.

I like your "life story". You can even embellish if you want to!

So you changed the pickups then the pots. I changed the pots and liked the results so I currently don't feel the need to change the pickups. I also put a TV Jones Dynasonic riser under the bridge pickup to get it closer to the strings. This helped the balance issue between the bridge and neck pickups with the stock Dynasonics. I know exactly what you mean regarding the strattiness. I agree completely.

I'm curious what the difference would be if I installed some T'Armonds. I love the tone of my guitar now though so I don't know if that will ever happen unless the pickups happen to go bad somehow.

I like your "life story". You can even embellish if you want to!

– BuddyHollywood

Ha, I actually cut some out. It helps that I can get good deals on tv jones, so low prices make justifying the replacement of perfectly fine pickups a little easier.

The tv jones have a little more uniqueness to their tone. I wish I could put words to describe the difference in tone. If you're ever in the Seattle area, you're welcome to come try it out.

The bridge has more mids and is fuller. With the 1meg pots, it has more bite to go with that fullness - kind of like a good 50's style tele pickup (again, doesn't really sound like a tele). I feel that the tone of the t-armonds separates the jet a bit more from my other guitars with similar setups, particularly my gold top les Paul and teles (despite referencing one earlier).

Ha, I actually cut some out. It helps that I can get good deals on tv jones, so low prices make justifying the replacement of perfectly fine pickups a little easier.

The tv jones have a little more uniqueness to their tone. I wish I could put words to describe the difference in tone. If you're ever in the Seattle area, you're welcome to come try it out.

The bridge has more mids and is fuller. With the 1meg pots, it has more bite to go with that fullness - kind of like a good 50's style tele pickup (again, doesn't really sound like a tele). I feel that the tone of the t-armonds separates the jet a bit more from my other guitars with similar setups, particularly my gold top les Paul and teles (despite referencing one earlier).

– Cirecc

That makes sense that the T'Armond bridge pickup has more mids and is fuller. I've found the best tone I get out of my Duo Jet with the stock Dynasonics is when I play with both pickups on with the neck pickup volume dialed back a bit. It basically achieves a fuller bridge pickup sound by adding mids and some lows to the bridge pickup. It sounds like you are able to achieve a similar sound with just your bridge pickup. TV Jones is a master Jedi for sure.

Congrats on the new Duo Jet. Pic's please?

Congrats on the new Duo Jet. Pic's please?

– Suprdave

Im still waiting on shipping.. as soon as I unbox it I will post some pics.

So I got the guitar today, looks greats, plays great.. I love it.. (tomorrow I will make some pics and post it).

I have a question about fingerboard maintenance. I never owned ebony fingerboard, I only had rosewood one which I nurish with lemon oil aprox. every 6 months.

What about ebony, when is good time to lubricate it and what do you use?

you guys are making me miss my old 6128T-DSV Duo Jet

So I got the guitar today, looks greats, plays great.. I love it.. (tomorrow I will make some pics and post it).

I have a question about fingerboard maintenance. I never owned ebony fingerboard, I only had rosewood one which I nurish with lemon oil aprox. every 6 months.

What about ebony, when is good time to lubricate it and what do you use?

– Lukec

Congrats! I also just used lemon oil on my ebony fretboards to cleaning and maintenance ñ. If that's not ideal, I'd like to know too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation