Modern Gretsch Guitars

Neck reset?

I realize now that this is something that has been happening over the last few years. I installed a Tru-Arc on the guitar shortly after buying it.
Over the years I’ve had to take material off of the bottom of the Tru-Arc to get the action low enough. The thumb screws are adjusted all the way. Plus.... it has always been a bitch to keep tuned. Lately it needs a quick tune after every song.

.... pic of my “trimmed & slammed” Tru -Arc....

– Hipbone

Hopefully you'll never have this problem again but if you do sand the bottom of the bridge base to gain the space you need.

Hopefully you'll never have this problem again but if you do sand the bottom of the bridge base to gain the space you need.

– Curt Wilson

Sounds like good advice!

You might want to see how the neck reset, if needed, turns out. If after that, your action is still too high, you could combine sanding the bridge base down with replacing your Tru-Arc bridge for a low rider version. I did this with my ‘61 Annie that had a high action, even with the bridge at it’s lowest position. As Proteus already mentioned, the Tru-Arc that’s on there now doesn’t look like it’s a rocking bridge anymore. I found the low rider to be extremely useful in getting my action low enough.

Yeah but a proper reset will give you a perfect break angle, way more sustain and tone you haven’t heard in years. That guitar clearly needs a reset.

Spoke with the guitar repair guy yesterday. I will be taking the guitar to him in a few days. He was discribing some possible options. He mentioned something about a wooden dowel in the heal of the guitar being a possibility. Said he would look at the guitar and then call Gretsch and discuss it with them. He said a neck reset that that envolved steaming the neck off could be a “finish” nightmare, requiring blending of the finish to get it to look right.
Honestly, I just want the guitar to play well and be solid again. I’m not married to having a like “new” looking guitar.

Spoke with the guitar repair guy yesterday. I will be taking the guitar to him in a few days. He was discribing some possible options. He mentioned something about a wooden dowel in the heal of the guitar being a possibility. Said he would look at the guitar and then call Gretsch and discuss it with them. He said a neck reset that that envolved steaming the neck off could be a “finish” nightmare, requiring blending of the finish to get it to look right.
Honestly, I just want the guitar to play well and be solid again. I’m not married to having a like “new” looking guitar.

– Hipbone

I'm sorry, a dowel, a dowel would be the nightmare!

I have two guitars I steamed the necks off yesterday, no finish issues.

The neck needs to be steamed out, removed, neck angle checked, new shims and then set it with glue.

You need to find a local person that isn't afraid to take the neck out and better yet someone that loves to remove them. If the neck is moving around it's not going to take much steam for it to fall out.

Thanks Curt! It’s nice to have an expert proving insight and guidance.

Hipbone,

Please post a photo of the serial number on the back of the headstock of your guitar. As I'm currently on the road, will dig into this when I return to the office on Tuesday, Aug 14th and report back with options. Please hold off with taking the instrument to your repair guy until you hear back from me. Meanwhile, please PM me with your contact info and mailing address. - Joe C

Thanks Joe.... JT08082861

I’m not sure how to send a PM?

Hip, just for supporting Tru-Arc (and putting the sticker on there, looks great!), when your guitar is happy again, I'll give you a massive break on a new bridge to replace the one you've had to grind on. I hate to see one floating around in that condition!

Hip, just for supporting Tru-Arc (and putting the sticker on there, looks great!), when your guitar is happy again, I'll give you a massive break on a new bridge to replace the one you've had to grind on. I hate to see one floating around in that condition!

– Proteus

Thank you Proteus! This community of folks is pretty darn special. I’ve been a member here for 10 years and it always warms my heart to see the kindness and generosity that comes from the memebers.
I am truly grateful...

I know that it will be little, if any, consolation to you, but I had an even worse situation. In 1973, I purchased a new Martin D-41, which at that time was the model second from the top in the Martin food chain. As a poor student, I saved money from any and every source that I could and was finally able to purchase it. By 1978, it needed to have a neck reset. Martin had no adjustable truss rods in their guitars in those days (and may still not, for all I know). So, I got a whole five years out of my guitar before needing a reset.

If Gretsch takes care of this for you, you would be getting the royal treatment probably only due to Joe's involvement and your membership here on the GDP. I can readily understand the frustration that you must feel. In the end, though, it is a tool. A mass produced tool. And sometimes stuff can happen to a tool that requires a repair or replacement. Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that there is a limited lifetime warranty. For your sake, however, I hope that it gets taken care of without cost to you.

If nothing else, if you are required to lay out some cash for a repair, at least the cost of any repair would be a tax deductible expense for you as a working musician.

By the way, as have many other GDPers, I have done business with Curt. He is as honest as the day is long. I am very confident that, if he there was something that he was not able to do, he would say so immediately and return the guitar to you, probably with recommendations about where to take it. But, the threads which he has created about his repairs support the notion that he is extraordinarily competent and does beautiful work. I would have no reluctance to send my guitar to him.

Like the others have mentioned, there is a peace of mind that goes along with sending a guitar that you love to someone who clearly knows how to remove a neck and do the appropriate repair without botching up the rest of your guitar. If your local repair guy is concerned that steaming off a neck will somehow damage the finish on the guitar, he is probably not the right guy for the job.

Thanks Ric, I’m gonna wait to hear back from Joe C. Bummer about your Martin.
Again I appreciate all the support here at the GDP It is a rareity in today’s world to have such a community of folks to get feedback and support from. I have only met 2 people from the GDP in 10 years, yet I feel like I’m part of a very genuine group of people and for that I am grateful and happy.
I’m not so worried about the guitar. Everything tends to be ok in my world.

I have only met 2 people from the GDP in 10 years

Well gee magolly, Hip! The NorCal Roundup is figuratively in your back yard. Bob may actually bite, but he's had his shots.

And we'd love to have you in Nashville. I probably need some chiropracting.

and yes, I’m hoping I can make it this year to the Nor-Cal Roundup! My wife and I have been looking at our schedules and are looking to make it happen.

I have only met 2 people from the GDP in 10 years

Well gee magolly, Hip! The NorCal Roundup is figuratively in your back yard. Bob may actually bite, but he's had his shots.

And we'd love to have you in Nashville. I probably need some chiropracting.

– Proteus

No, but you do need a tattoo.

and yes, I’m hoping I can make it this year to the Nor-Cal Roundup! My wife and I have been looking at our schedules and are looking to make it happen.

– Hipbone

Now there is some good news right there. You plan to be there and you will meet lots of people from this site, not the least of whom is our man, Joe Carducci.

Are you guys referring to the “California Gold Rush Roundup” in September?

I know that it will be little, if any, consolation to you, but I had an even worse situation. In 1973, I purchased a new Martin D-41, which at that time was the model second from the top in the Martin food chain. As a poor student, I saved money from any and every source that I could and was finally able to purchase it. By 1978, it needed to have a neck reset. Martin had no adjustable truss rods in their guitars in those days (and may still not, for all I know). So, I got a whole five years out of my guitar before needing a reset.

If Gretsch takes care of this for you, you would be getting the royal treatment probably only due to Joe's involvement and your membership here on the GDP. I can readily understand the frustration that you must feel. In the end, though, it is a tool. A mass produced tool. And sometimes stuff can happen to a tool that requires a repair or replacement. Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that there is a limited lifetime warranty. For your sake, however, I hope that it gets taken care of without cost to you.

If nothing else, if you are required to lay out some cash for a repair, at least the cost of any repair would be a tax deductible expense for you as a working musician.

By the way, as have many other GDPers, I have done business with Curt. He is as honest as the day is long. I am very confident that, if he there was something that he was not able to do, he would say so immediately and return the guitar to you, probably with recommendations about where to take it. But, the threads which he has created about his repairs support the notion that he is extraordinarily competent and does beautiful work. I would have no reluctance to send my guitar to him.

Like the others have mentioned, there is a peace of mind that goes along with sending a guitar that you love to someone who clearly knows how to remove a neck and do the appropriate repair without botching up the rest of your guitar. If your local repair guy is concerned that steaming off a neck will somehow damage the finish on the guitar, he is probably not the right guy for the job.

– Ric12string

Thanks for the mention RickyBob but I'm thinking there are at least 500 quality neck setters between Hipbone and my shop, hopefully he can find someone close or take what Joe has behind door # 2.

Thank you Joe C. The guitar will soon be headed to Curt Wilson for his magic!

Thank you Joe C. The guitar will soon be headed to Curt Wilson for his magic!

– Hipbone

I'm looking forward to this one.

After the neck gets set I'll do a set up so if you're getting a new bridge you might want it sent here.

Register Sign in to join the conversation