Modern Gretsch Guitars

Neck depth of modern Gretsches

Hi all, as someone who really cares about neck depth, I want to know the size of the neck on the guitar I put out 3k on. I'm looking at the new Broadkasters and Wildwood posts the neck size on all new guitars. I just saw that Music Zoo has a broadkaster with a depth of .87 of an inch. I'd say that's pretty good for a Japanese non custom shop model. Anyone else want to know the size of the neck they are getting? I want mine to be .85 or larger.

We like the same neck size. My 2011 Duo Jet is around .84" deep at the first fret. Based on that neck I had a custom Strat neck made at .85" and it feels great.

By comparison, I customized the grossly thick D-shaped neck on my '72 Super Chet so now it's a shallow C. Beside, not on top of the 1st and 5th fret, it's .800" deep. It has the 1.80" wider neck so the shallower depth creates less mass and allows me to get my hand around and chord using my thumb. Different strokes.....

By comparison, I customized the grossly thick D-shaped neck on my '72 Super Chet so now it's a shallow C. Beside, not on top of the 1st and 5th fret, it's .800" deep. It has the 1.80" wider neck so the shallower depth creates less mass and allows me to get my hand around and chord using my thumb. Different strokes.....

– Windsordave

Dave, I like the wider necks for the same reason. Buying my Gretsch really lifted my playing though with the beefier profile than my Strats. It wasn't until then did I really understand the how the physical aspects are huge to improving and playing.

I think my 8 Phoenix is around .85" and the depth gave my fingers more freedom. Now I need to get another.....looking at a Gretsch and a few Gibsons with the wider neck .... greater than 1.7"

Register Sign in to join the conversation