Modern Gretsch Guitars

Mysterious rattle solved 6120T ‘55VS

Every now and then I get this crazy acoustic rattle/buzz with my 6120. It seems to come and go, but since it doesn't really get into my electric signal, it really doesn't bug me that bad. But today I was playing my guitar on the couch and there it was as loud as ever. So I really tried to track it down. What I did was tune my guitar to an open tuning that would cause it to buzz/rattle, I found a note that got it going and tuned my guitar to that. That way, I could play with my right hand, but use my left hand to touch everything on my guitar that could cause the sound. I first thought it was my bridge or the height adjustment wheels, that wasn't it. Then I focused on the Bigsby, nope, that wasn't it. Long story short, it was the master volume pot. Soon as I put a little downward pressure on it, the rattle/buzz was gone. The adjustment nut on the pot was tight so I'm wondering if it was just the shaft of the pot, or the internals. But for the last few hours, no buzz. Has anyone else ever had a pot do this????

Yes, and you're right, it's a bugger to figure out when it's there.

I have a 2012 version of the same guitar. I had a buzz from the pickup selector. Never had a problem with pots before.

Yes, and you're right, it's a bugger to figure out when it's there.

– Suprdave

It sure was!!!

I have a 2012 version of the same guitar. I had a buzz from the pickup selector. Never had a problem with pots before.

– Powertronman

I've had pickup selectors rattle in other guitars, but never a pot. Funny I rarely use the master volume pot as I set up my volumes from the individual pots and use a volume pedal.

Could the little grub screw in the knob be ever so slightly loose, perhaps?

Could the little grub screw in the knob be ever so slightly loose, perhaps?

– Gerry Ratrod

Nope the screw is tight, but the rattle is gone since I pushed down and then pulled back up on the shaft of the pot. I'm going to buy some DeOxit Gold pot lubricant and spray down the shaft of this pot. But for right now there is no buzz.

I had a guitar that needed stat-o-seal washers put between the pot and top to stop it.

I had a guitar that needed stat-o-seal washers put between the pot and top to stop it.

– JazzBoxJunky

well that seems like a good idea if it starts acting up again!

Thanks for posting this. While I haven't had the problem you describe it's handy to know stuff like this on case it does arise. It's good to know what to check so you can appear wise in front of others.

Thanks for posting this. While I haven't had the problem you describe it's handy to know stuff like this on case it does arise. It's good to know what to check so you can appear wise in front of others.

– JimmyR

I felt anything but wise as I accidently stumbled across what was causing the buzz :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation