Modern Gretsch Guitars

Mysterious Chinese 5248T

I bought this guitar from the Ft. Myers FL Guitar Center, online. I have read the word of Gretsch, and lo, the sticker sayeth "Made in China" and not Korea.
Any prophets here who can tell me about the vintage of my set-necked double-cut goldtop?

Here's the front.

It's a first generation Pro Jet. My 5235T is an '08, but I don't know exactly what year yours is. The early Pro Jets have only the two controls and the much maligned minihums, tho I don't have that much of an issue with them.

The Electromatic hollow bodies are made in Korea and the Jets and other solid bodies are made in China.

I'd play the hell out of that! Congrats!

i'd drop FilterTrons in that puppy and boogie till the cows came home. btw a standard Gretsch bar bridge will drop right onto the bridge studs.

The serial number 412738 may indicate that it is refurbished or a second. Nothing wrong with either but unless that is the way they did them pre-Fender, I would think that it had been given a new serial number. Normally a projet would have a CY serial number. The C meaning China and Y standing for Yako which is in the Republic of China (Taiwan).

I confess to being curious about the apparent "blemishes" on the back of the headstock, where there appear to be four, round "holes" in the finish. One is clearly showing at the top of the headstock, another peeks out from behind the flange on the "B" tuner and Nos 3 & 4 lurk behind the inside line of the E tuner.... They seem to have some depth, given the way the light reflects off the edges. In fact, when I first looked at the picture, I wondered why there was a hole drilled in the top of the headstock.

Do they go right through all the layers to the wood?? Makes me think of air bubbles that somehow snuck past QC before the hardware went on. But those would be rather large air bubbles, so I could be very wrong.

The serial number 412738 may indicate that it is refurbished or a second. Nothing wrong with either but unless that is the way they did them pre-Fender, I would think that it had been given a new serial number. Normally a projet would have a CY serial number. The C meaning China and Y standing for Yako which is in the Republic of China (Taiwan).

– Don Birchett

Back in 1998-2002, roughly, this is how they were doing serial 's. With stickers. My Double cut jet was missing the serial # when I got it. I didn't know these were being made in China, though.

i'd drop FilterTrons in that puppy and boogie till the cows came home. btw a standard Gretsch bar bridge will drop right onto the bridge studs.

– macphisto

P-90s drop right in, too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation