Modern Gretsch Guitars

My Streamliner Projects

Hi, I thought I’d share with you my Gretsch Streamliner projects. One I’ve made into a Gretsch ‘Viking’ & the other a Monkees 1967 Gretsch Guitar! What do you all think? Best wishes Ray - Wales, UK

More pics of the Monkees Gretsch

Streamliner Viking!

Monkees headstock

Headstock - do you think I’ve chosen wisely going for cream or do you think I should have gone for white truss rod cover?

Here’s the real 1967 Monkees Gretsch...

My Streamliner....

I used gloss modelling paint to paint the tailpiece & found a Monkees plaque too... Thoughts?

From the top: I bought a Gretsch Streamliner for $300 - had a head stock plaque made, bought official Gretsch knobs, bought official Gretsch toggle switch tip, painted the original black tailpiece with modelling paint, and had a chap who lives in the USA make me the pickguard & truss rod cover... A real 1967 Monkees Gretsch would sell for around $3000 so this is the next best thing. My only worry is that I should have gone for a white truss rod cover & pickguard - although I do like the look of the cream??? In all - it cost me $110 to upgrade so $410 in total! I love these Streamliner! Ray - Wales!

And here is my Gretsch George Harrison duo jet (Electromatic!!) I covered the word electromatic with a Setzer decal, painted binding on the headstock & bought a real Bigsby - which cost me more than the guitar!! I’m pleased with it, especially as I’ve not got $3000 knocking around! Love to you all in the USA!! Ray, Wales, UK

The real Harrison Guitar...

This ‘Gretsch’ I swapped for a $100 Epiphone Les Paul! It’s not real but I’ve tried making it look like a 6120!! It was fun & she’s fun to play!!

Top of 6120!!!

Finally, all together!!

Gretsch cave...

Hi Ray. Thanks for sharing your Gretsch projects here! Your passion and creativity shine through. Modern Streamliners turned to Monkees...it's come full circle. The original Monkees guitars were based off the 1960s Streamliners, right?

The Jet is awesome too.

Nice collection! How did you apply the headstock binding on your Jet? Close ups please Cheers

Cool,looks good!

Great music room sir. I also like your 6120 canvas on the wall.

Hi Ray. Thanks for sharing your Gretsch projects here! Your passion and creativity shine through. Modern Streamliners turned to Monkees...it's come full circle. The original Monkees guitars were based off the 1960s Streamliners, right?

The Jet is awesome too.

– BuddyHollywood

Actually, it was the other way around. The Monkees model came first, the SuperTron-equipped Streamliners (late '60s, as distinct from the '50s Streamliners with a single cutaway and single Dynasonic) came afterward.

Paul/FF909

Actually, it was the other way around. The Monkees model came first, the SuperTron-equipped Streamliners (late '60s, as distinct from the '50s Streamliners with a single cutaway and single Dynasonic) came afterward.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Thanks for the clarification. That's really interesting that Gretsch made a production model out of the Monkees model and not the other way around. It seems they put the cart before the horse.

Register Sign in to join the conversation