Modern Gretsch Guitars

My “Modern Gretsch Guitars” aren’t made any more.

Occurred to me that all of my Gretsch guitars, none of which are true vintage, are not currently in the lineup. The only exception is my 5422-12; even that only exists in a hardware variant. Here’s the list:

G6119 Tennessee Rose G3700 Historic Series Sierra G6192 “Oops” spruce Country Club G6022C Rancher G5012 Rancher Jr. G6121-1955 Chet Atkins G6120 SSLVO G400

Lots of changes in the last few years. I understand. Glad I have the ones I do.

perhaps they should be called "Vintage Modern" like some kind of Scandinavian furniture. the Gretsch Bedroom Set.

It was a rude awakening to realize that the guitars I coveted as a teenager just learning to play now qualify as vintage on eBay. If they are vintage, what does that make me?!?

Vintage.

I prefer that to “elderly”.

This was always true, even in "vintage" days.

WE'RE NOT GETTING OLDER, WE'RE GETTING VINTAGE(tm)

I've noticed the same for many of mine, even my Electromatics. A few I've sought out knowing they've been discontinued models, but it's not the main reason I wanted them.

In more cases it's just happenstance.

When I picked up my g5129t I had no idea it was long out of production. It was a local Craig's List find, and I just wanted it.

First of the Modern World ones from 1990 are vintage now

It still freaks me out that in 1984 I picked up a '63 Country Gentleman closely followed by '62 Tennessean and these became my main instruments. Though they were then only 21/22 years old these instruments at the time seemed ancient and like relics (in a good way) 'Vintage' with with a capital 'V'. But now my White Falcon manufactured and purchased in 1990 is now 30 years old and to me seems like a 'new' instrument - though actually much older than my Chet Atkins pair were when I acquired them. And I'm not referring to condition - all three are really nice. Maybe it's the passage of time? I was an 18 year old kid with a Gretsch fetish in 1984 and cutting to 2020..?

Remember when Fender quit making Tweed amps?

Yup, both of my Black Phoenix and 5126 are in the history books. HOWEVER, rumor has it that there is a new NJDevil signature series blue Sparkle Jet in the works....1.75" wide at the nut and .900" thick at 1st fret.

It will be on the market as a steal at $13,500.00 ....... The description will include the characteristics of "Rare" and "Museum quality". You people can't afford NOT to buy it!!

Yup, both of my Black Phoenix and 5126 are in the history books. HOWEVER, rumor has it that there is a new NJDevil signature series blue Sparkle Jet in the works....1.75" wide at the nut and .900" thick at 1st fret.

It will be on the market as a steal at $13,500.00 ....... The description will include the characteristics of "Rare" and "Museum quality". You people can't afford NOT to buy it!!

– NJDevil

Put me down for 2.

I’ll just get my purse.

not only are things issued and discontinued at lightning speed these days--those adorable little sunburst Gretsch parlor guitars seemed like they were here for about 45 minutes--but some models, Gretsch and otherwise, have been through a thoroughly confounding series of reissues, partial duplicates called "reissues" a la Eastwood or Epiphone, and what i'll call "reissues in name only" like the 80s Guild Bluesbirds. Fender could give the National Archives nightmares just trying to figure out all the different Telecasters. there are now reissues of reissues like the pending Eastwood revamp of their Wandre Doris and the Squier->Fender Duo Sonics, the latter of which appears to have been ported over to Fender proper with minimal revision. if i felt like i had to keep up my brain would hurt.

The times they are a-changing but if we like our guitars, they’re still good.

Mine are still good - and they're exactly what I want. It seems that Gretsch has been leaning toward making their guitars more like ES 335s and Les Pauls. I like Gretsch guitars that are not like those instruments.

Fortunately I still have some nice Gretsch guitars. It's easy to feel like selling some guitars then you miss them and regret selling them. I do regret selling my Gretsch Country Club, the one hat was never officially made. Not a Gretsch but I regret selling an American Standard Strat, and a Fender Japan 57 and a beautiful Fender Japan 62 in Gold Mist. I am kicking myself for selling any and all of those. Point being be careful what you sell b/c you may regret it.

i most regret selling the pedal steel and the Blueridge BG-160 slope-shoulder acoustic. i bought both low and made money on the sales, but i'll never see an Emmons for $700 again and the Blueridge was everything you could ask from a rosewood J-45. but at the time equipment was my only asset with any liquidation value. the matched pair Strat and Tele i built from Fender parts also hurt to let go of.

We MUST be having fun! "The years keep flyin' by, like a highline post....."

The vast majority of Gretsch instruments that I own have either been discontinued or revamped into "new" models. However, I'm pretty satisfied with my electric, bass and acoustic Gretsch lineups. Right now my only "bucket list" modern Gretsch wants are a 6122-1958 and a 6129TG (green sparkle jet). Unfortunately, these models only come up for sale once in a blue moon.

The vast majority of Gretsch instruments that I own have either been discontinued or revamped into "new" models. However, I'm pretty satisfied with my electric, bass and acoustic Gretsch lineups. Right now my only "bucket list" modern Gretsch wants are a 6122-1958 and a 6129TG (green sparkle jet). Unfortunately, these models only come up for sale once in a blue moon.

– Tartan Phantom

I remember people saying that the 6122-1958 was a sleeper. They were right. I think a lot of people (including me) want to at least try one and then probably buy it.

i played a real 1958 years ago. it has literally haunted me since 1982. i was pretty broken up when they were discontinued.

The 3 Gretsch guitars I've owned in my life so far, a 1968 Corvette, a 2007 5120 and a 2011 DSV Duo Jet are all models they don't make anymore but all 3 have modern equivalents that come close.

The 3 Gretsch guitars I've owned in my life so far, a 1968 Corvette, a 2007 5120 and a 2011 DSV Duo Jet are all models they don't make anymore but all 3 have modern equivalents that come close.

– BuddyHollywood

Cool Buddy. How's the neck on that Corvette?

Yeah I just found out that my favourite Gretsch - the Vintage Select '59 Duo Jet is not made any more. And as far as I can see there's no replacement for it. It's the best Gretsch I've had. What happens if I make it big and need a back-up??

My "modern Gretsch guitar" is 31.

Register Sign in to join the conversation