Modern Gretsch Guitars

my dream gretsch is Darrel Highams new custom shop EC Falcon!!!

I love Darrel and Imelda.....

But I'm sorry to say that what I see is an orange 6120 (with a G brand) that was fitted with a Falcon headstock. A headstock does not a Falcon make..... It doesn't even have the identifying gold sparkle bindings...

– Hermitt

I think the 1" larger body dimension makes it look very different from a 6120, Hermitt.

I love Darrel and Imelda.....

But I'm sorry to say that what I see is an orange 6120 (with a G brand) that was fitted with a Falcon headstock. A headstock does not a Falcon make..... It doesn't even have the identifying gold sparkle bindings...

– Hermitt

Yes, you're right. I do agree but my problem is that I find the 6120 body too small and the Falcon's longer scale neck and width too much for my dainty little hands...

This guitar is a one-off built to my own personal tastes and as such should keep me happy for ever, hopefully!! But I feel quite strongly that it should be seen as part of the Falcon family, even if it is a cross breed. The Eddie Cochran vibe needed to be there as he's the reason I play guitar, so I wanted that influence to be prominently on show.

Also, one of the things that bothered me with the Falcon was the gold sparkle binding catching the lights on gigs and I'd often not be able to see where I was on the fretboard! A bit of a worry when you're trying your best to make it look like you know what you're doing.

Hope that helps explain a bit more about my ideas for this guitar. I did defer to Stephen Stern's recommendations for some of the more technical areas, as I'm more of a visual person rather than understanding how it all works. He's a lovely guy to deal with and I've always been a big fan of his work, especially after buying my 2008 custom shop 6120.

Is it long scale like a Falcon?

– Tony Baker

No, Tony - its the same dimensions as the 2008 custom shop 6120 I own.

Congratulations Darrel. If time permits, could you post a demo video? There's also an interest in your new Gretsch...here

– Rockabillybob

Thanks, will have a look. I'd love to do a video with this. I've just done one for the Peavey Delta Blues amp that is on youtube at the moment and I used my 6120 for that, but when I get back from the US tour in late August I'll be going up to Gretsch HQ in that there London Town and will record a video with this new guitar.

I think the 1" larger body dimension makes it look very different from a 6120, Hermitt.

– sascha

I disagree. At 20' away, nobody is going to notice the 1/2" extra width radius. One would only notice the width difference if the 16" and 17" bodies were side by side, or if you are the actual player.

Yes, you're right. I do agree but my problem is that I find the 6120 body too small and the Falcon's longer scale neck and width too much for my dainty little hands...

This guitar is a one-off built to my own personal tastes and as such should keep me happy for ever, hopefully!! But I feel quite strongly that it should be seen as part of the Falcon family, even if it is a cross breed. The Eddie Cochran vibe needed to be there as he's the reason I play guitar, so I wanted that influence to be prominently on show.

Also, one of the things that bothered me with the Falcon was the gold sparkle binding catching the lights on gigs and I'd often not be able to see where I was on the fretboard! A bit of a worry when you're trying your best to make it look like you know what you're doing.

Hope that helps explain a bit more about my ideas for this guitar. I did defer to Stephen Stern's recommendations for some of the more technical areas, as I'm more of a visual person rather than understanding how it all works. He's a lovely guy to deal with and I've always been a big fan of his work, especially after buying my 2008 custom shop 6120.

– Darrel Higham

Don't get me wrong. It's by all means a beautiful guitar, (even tho it isn't black) ...and there is nothing wrong with having a custom shop build you a machine that has all the features that make it work best for you.

Wishing you and Imelda all the best! How's life with the little one?

Don't get me wrong. It's by all means a beautiful guitar, (even tho it isn't black) ...and there is nothing wrong with having a custom shop build you a machine that has all the features that make it work best for you.

Wishing you and Imelda all the best! How's life with the little one?

– Hermitt

Nope, it isn't black!! Ahh, our little one... She's a little terror. She draws on hotel sofas. She likes grabbing the dogs tail and doesn't seem that bothered when he growls at her. She talks a lot. She says 'tar' instead of 'guitar'. She's obsessed with swings and trampolines. She believes that I can talk to the fairies that live in the garden. And she's the best thing that ever happened to the both of us!! I had to wait 42 years for her to come along but it was worth it.

The guitar is beautiful, Darrel and I know you can't wait to get it in your hands. With the little one, you are making lifetime memories now. She will do things and say things a certain way and you will never forget. Make the most of it.

dh- She believes that I can talk to the fairies that live in the garden.

you sayin you can't?? hah... she sounds like a real celt!!

gods bless

cheers

And now the demo of the Delta blues.

It's great to hear the Delta Blues in action..in fact, it's the best footage of the amp that I've seen. It has the growl...clean in a dirty way and dirty in a clean way! Any effects in there Darrel? Do you use the distortion channel?

I'm playing with the 2x10 version which works fine for me at local gigs and have never found a place where I've needed more power than this amp kicks out. The clean channel seems to break up enough when tuned up...not so fond of the distortion channel.

Plus I feel the same way about Falcons neck length. I guess you're either a full scale neck fan or not. Never felt at ease with that length in Teles or Strats either. The new guitar looks killer!

When you get to New York, swing by for some bbq! We can do veggies fer the mrs too. I can give you a tour of Philly.

...just watched again and saw that the middle and treble seem to be fully turned up on the amp. Wow. Just curious about what your 'go to' tone and volume settings are.

Hope you don't mind me posting this. Just watched it and it blew my skirt up.

It's great to hear the Delta Blues in action..in fact, it's the best footage of the amp that I've seen. It has the growl...clean in a dirty way and dirty in a clean way! Any effects in there Darrel? Do you use the distortion channel?

I'm playing with the 2x10 version which works fine for me at local gigs and have never found a place where I've needed more power than this amp kicks out. The clean channel seems to break up enough when tuned up...not so fond of the distortion channel.

Plus I feel the same way about Falcons neck length. I guess you're either a full scale neck fan or not. Never felt at ease with that length in Teles or Strats either. The new guitar looks killer!

– Vince_Ray

Thanks Vince - Yes, the Delta Blues has always been my favourite amp as well and I've found over the years that it can give me everything I need. I rarely use the clean channel, perhaps only on the ballads in the set with Imelda as most of the time I use the over drive channel. On the video, they just wanted me to twiddle the knobs a bit to make it look like I knew what I was doing! Generally, I keep the treble at about 6 or 7 and the mid on full and the bass at about 9, something like that. I'll have the pre set to about 4 or 5 and the post set to 7 or 8, depending on how loud and dirty I want the sound. If I use the clean channel, I'll keep the level at about 4. I never use the boost switch. Hope all's well for you.

Darrel,

Why the trestle bracing on the custom? The EC doesn't have trestles... is it because the Falcon's body is bigger and easier to feedback, or...?

Hope you don't mind me posting this. Just watched it and it blew my skirt up.

– Vince_Ray

holy sheep that was awesome!! Hey Darrel, Imelda needs to sing part of song that in spanish, it was made for it.. Tell me your So Cal audience wont lose their minds at the show down here with the Wild Records folks! ..yes thank me later :^)

Darrel,

Why the trestle bracing on the custom? The EC doesn't have trestles... is it because the Falcon's body is bigger and easier to feedback, or...?

– ruger9

Hi there - When we spoke of the design, I listened to Stephen's advice on a few things that seemed important to me for the overall sound for a guitar like this. You're right, of course, the 6120 doesn't have trestle bracing and I sometimes have problems with controlling feedback. There's certain songs in Imelda's set that require a great deal of feedback nowadays, or certainly more than I've ever needed to use before, so it makes sense for this guitar to have trestle bracing to help me over come that a bit. I get good sustain from the 6120 but I hope this new guitar gives me the option to have a bit more. I really wanted a more 'all-rounder' and I expect this to help me with achieving that. Again, as I said before, a great deal of the technical side I left to Stephen as I'm really not that knowledgeable. I hope that explains things a bit!

holy sheep that was awesome!! Hey Darrel, Imelda needs to sing part of song that in spanish, it was made for it.. Tell me your So Cal audience wont lose their minds at the show down here with the Wild Records folks! ..yes thank me later :^)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Thanks Tavo - The pedal you sent me does sterling work in our studio, so stays there permanently these days and there's a good few guitar players that have been very thankful for it, me included on many occasions! I think Imelda would love to speak Spanish, she's said that to me a few times! I certainly hope it'll be a great night. I'm really looking forward to that gig with the Wild Records crew. It'll be good to see you and have a beer. I owe you a few for that pedal! Cheers

dh- She believes that I can talk to the fairies that live in the garden.

you sayin you can't?? hah... she sounds like a real celt!!

gods bless

cheers

– neatone

That could be a photo of our garden!

What brand is the bridge pickup? Sorry if I've missed the answer but I've asked twice.

I forgot to say, I owned a Delta Blues (2x10), and I could never get it to sound like THAT

Your demo was great, and it's actually exactly how I use my Fender Supersonic 22 (1x12)... it also has a clean and overdrive channel, both extremely useful.

Thanks for the explanation on the trestles; I suspected feedback/control had something to do with it....

What brand is the bridge pickup? Sorry if I've missed the answer but I've asked twice.

– Setzer

My apologies - They're both Seymour Duncan's.

Man, That is so cool! If I could have a custom shop Made by stern , I would as well. Can't wait to see her in action. Thanks for chiming in, Darrel. Bless you and Imelda and Daughter.

Register Sign in to join the conversation