Modern Gretsch Guitars

my dream gretsch is Darrel Highams new custom shop EC Falcon!!!

Beautiful guitar and I'm sure Darrel will bring everything out of it. I hate to admit this, but I'm glad I watched the video if for no other reason than to learn how to correctly pronounce Darrel's last name. That would have been embarrassing.

I'm anxious to hear him play it.

What a cool guitar for Darrel!

Hope Gretsch CS made that for him pro bono . . .

That does look damn fine! I bet Darrel and Imelda are really pleased with it. I saw them on Graham Norton recently and Darrel was playing (what looked like) the Eddie Cochran Tribute Guitar? I like this new one here though, although I'm not sure on the Headstock, as that is what has always put me off buying a "Falcon", I just don't like the Headstocks...Personal taste, that's all.

I heard a rumor that this was the design team for this guitar, but that might not be completely accurate.

That does look damn fine! I bet Darrel and Imelda are really pleased with it. I saw them on Graham Norton recently and Darrel was playing (what looked like) the Eddie Cochran Tribute Guitar? I like this new one here though, although I'm not sure on the Headstock, as that is what has always put me off buying a "Falcon", I just don't like the Headstocks...Personal taste, that's all.

– markallanp

his cochran model is a 6120 custom shop model. He had changed the pickup, the fixed arm and the pickguard. It's not the custom cochran signature model.

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind the model number?

Looks like G5170 or 5770.

I'm surprised he requested trestle bracing.... the regular EC, which Darryl calls "the greatest guitar ever made" does NOT have trestle bracing....

– ruger9

It WAS the greatest guitar ever made until now!!!! I really do like it though......a lot!!!

Damn nice...be cool to see this go to Terada production!

Go here, first line.

That's amazing.

K

Nice looking Falcon but for me........... sticking a noisy P-90 into a Gretsch just ruins a great guitar.

I luv P-90's in an SG or LP (ie noiseless Lollar P-90s) but not in any gretsch.

– waxhead

you've never heard Eddie Cochran or Darrel Higham. I'm not sure they ruined a gretsch with the add of a P 90. You're strange.

P90 & Dyna on a Gretsch....... Perfect combination !

Cheers schroeder ,makes sense now!

Looks like G5170 or 5770.

– JCHiggy

Looks like G5170-CS when you freeze the youtube video. It could be my old eyes though. That is a strange model # especially for a custom shop. IMO

Looks like G5170-CS when you freeze the youtube video. It could be my old eyes though. That is a strange model # especially for a custom shop. IMO

– Suprdave

look at the Birth date.

Thanks for all the kind comments! Sorry I'm a tad late to this thread but I've been away in Europe and the interweb can be a bit squiffy in some of the places we've been to...

It looks beautiful and I can't wait to get to New York in a week or so to pick it up and play it. I might even kiss it. That's a very real possibility.

Congratulations Darrel. If time permits, could you post a demo video? There's also an interest in your new Gretsch...here

Thanks for chiming in, Darrel! Hope to see you and the guitar in Berlin in autumn. I'll be there for sure. Tickets arrived some days ago.

What maker/brand is the bridge Dynasonix pickup?

I love Darrel and Imelda.....

But I'm sorry to say that what I see is an orange 6120 (with a G brand) that was fitted with a Falcon headstock. A headstock does not a Falcon make..... It doesn't even have the identifying gold sparkle bindings...

I love Darrel and Imelda.....

But I'm sorry to say that what I see is an orange 6120 (with a G brand) that was fitted with a Falcon headstock. A headstock does not a Falcon make..... It doesn't even have the identifying gold sparkle bindings...

– Hermitt

I disagree, the Chris Cheney model is badasssssssery!

Register Sign in to join the conversation