Modern Gretsch Guitars

My beloved Silverjet…

I have never posted this, but here she is. The Gretsch that has survived everything. I think you'll like it... I bought her (I think) in 2001, maybe earlier. I guess I should check the serial number.

The original pickups were okay, but when my RHH was destroyed, I replaced them with the RHH pickups (it was an older model) and also replaced the pickup covers with the RHH covers because I like the color match.

She always stays in tune (yes, with a roller bridge and beat up tuners), has great action with no buzz despite severely worn out frets and really does sound great. I can get enough twang to pass even with filts, and the pick up combos work great.

Anyway (sorry for the low quality photos), here she is:

Trying to upload...

Another one...

– Konrad

Great guitar.

Who's the guy holding it, your dad?

I thought you were, like, 26 or something.

HA HA HA...

I only act like I'm 26.

Unfortunately, I'm 52.

K

Nice! It’s you favourite?

Cool guitar. It's a bit of a shame they don't offer those tailpieces on Jets anymore.

Really? I didn't know that. I'll post the serial number tonight, as I do not even know what year this is.

K

Ecastro,

My favorite ever was the rhh was destroyed by a luthier here that just really messed it up. But this one is mega dependable, seems to never have issues and just sounds great.

I really can't complain. Mega durable, as it survived years of gigging, harsh weather, etc.

K

Nice guitar Konrad, I'm happy to hear that it's been such a dependable instrument for you. I just had an electric guitar, that I bought in 1980 restored a couple of months ago.

I can really relate to having a very dependable guitar, that has performed flawlessly for a very long time. Mine had worn frets and a cracked nut, I'm excited to have it back, with level frets and a new bone nut. A bone made a huge difference (better) in the sound, open notes really ring out now, better than ever.

Fret wear can look a lot worse than it really is, they can be leveled and crowned several times before they need to be replaced. I think that your silver Jet will be around for a long time, with only a bit of fret maintenance needed periodically. Mine has survived 39 years of continuous play, and it still has the original frets. They still have plenty of depth, and appear new again.

I hope you have continued use of your silver Jet for many more years. There is nothing better than an old friend, that keeps on giving.

Ecastro,

My favorite ever was the rhh was destroyed by a luthier here that just really messed it up. But this one is mega dependable, seems to never have issues and just sounds great.

I really can't complain. Mega durable, as it survived years of gigging, harsh weather, etc.

K

– Konrad

destroyed by a luthier? Missed that post. How heartbreaking

Clearly a keeper. Like!

Great guitar.

Who's the guy holding it, your dad?

I thought you were, like, 26 or something.

– crowbone

Me too.

Age is just a number. But I think I've said before that I bought this maybe in 2000...

Which would mean I was like 7 at the time.

Heh heh.

K

Me too.

– UncleGrumpy

I thought you were between 22 and 25.

More on that guitar.

I was actually down on it for a while. I dropped it (it was in the case) and it seemed to lose some mojo for a couple of years. The funny thing is that one day I was putting the strap on and bumped the strap button on the lower body end and I heard a "pop," as if the whole body kind of released. Then the mojo was back, bigtime.

I've always wondered if somehow it was jammed inside--like when you need to crack your back--and just could not vibrate. No troubled since. Incredibly versatile. On the bridge I can get a Stray Cat Strut (second) solo growl. In the middle it pretty much works for anything and the middle gives me a deeper blues tone (but not so deep that it gets mushy).

Maybe I can't get true twang, but I can get close enough (filts).

And it pretty much always stays in tune. In winter I walk through (well, not so much this winter), quite cold weather--in the past minus 20 C to a hot tram for an hour then back out and then to a gig (usually hot and stuffy), and surprisingly most of the time it stays right in tune. Good old wood.

I'll check the serial number and post it (keep meaning to do that) because I wonder how old it is. I tried some different bridges, but went back to the roller as it just feels right with this guitar.

Maybe a fret job one day, but I doubt it. Frets are tiny and worn but no buzzes. Best not to bother with it.

I've tried other jets... Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the drum material lends them a certain warmth. I only like these in silver though.

K

Register Sign in to join the conversation