Modern Gretsch Guitars

My 6120 DS has arrived

Exceeds my expectations, first off the build quality, figure of the wood, and color are beyond exceptional. This particular guitar appears to have been almost un-played and stored for the last 15 years. It set up very easy with no weird rattles or issues. The neck is very interesting (in a good way) Its a C shape but with a bit more to the shoulders than I am used to from Gretsch, which is really nice. The color is spot on for a vintage 6120. Orange but with a bit more brown in it as opposed to red like the DSVs. Sounds like a good hollow dyna Gretsch should. And the vintage frets are unexpectedly a total non issue.

The combination of figuring and color is quite nice. Perhaps not the best picture

Looks like the real thing, sounds like the real thing. IS the real thing!

Dyna 6120s are always such a revelation. I've spent a lot of time with my DE the last couple of weeks. Good as I know it is, the reality always delights and surprises.

Enjoy!

Looks like the real thing, sounds like the real thing. IS the real thing!

Dyna 6120s are always such a revelation. I've spent a lot of time with my DE the last couple of weeks. Good as I know it is, the reality always delights and surprises.

Enjoy!

– Proteus

First Gretsch with Dynasonics! shame it took me so long

Omigod! Yes well. The journey is well and truly begun.

It was edited out of the movie, but when Indy found the holy grail, he had to pick the Dyna out of it before he could scoop up the water. (He secretly pocketed it.)

Try flatwounds at the first string change. You may or may not prefer them, but it's a sound you'll never have heard coming out from under your fingers before.

And you're already saving for a Dyna Jet, right?

Nice 6120DS..... Love mine.I couldnt resist getting the T-Armonds--although the original Dynasonics were good too. The vintage frets are great,the same fretsize as my Rickenbackers--- wish all my guitars had the vintage frets. Congrats on the DS,there doesnt seem to be too many around.

A thing of beauty! Congrats!

The color of the 6120DSV is more reddish by design. I understand that it may have been patterned that way after a famous artist's guitar. [Wonder who that would be?]

Omigod! Yes well. The journey is well and truly begun.

It was edited out of the movie, but when Indy found the holy grail, he had to pick the Dyna out of it before he could scoop up the water. (He secretly pocketed it.)

Try flatwounds at the first string change. You may or may not prefer them, but it's a sound you'll never have heard coming out from under your fingers before.

And you're already saving for a Dyna Jet, right?

– Proteus

lol...................... Caddy green please !

Beauty! Play it in good health!

Beautiful geet that,congrats!

Ya can't beat a 6120 ,i have a bit of a thing for them myself.

You guys are creating a need for me to own a Dynasonic powered Gretsch!!!

Nice 6120DS..... Love mine.I couldnt resist getting the T-Armonds--although the original Dynasonics were good too. The vintage frets are great,the same fretsize as my Rickenbackers--- wish all my guitars had the vintage frets. Congrats on the DS,there doesnt seem to be too many around.

– AllModCons

that's hot!

Sweet One!

Hot damn, that’s nice. You know, I usually can walk by a 6120 without feeling anything, but yours has all the right appointments and the not tooooo orange colour is actually nice. Enjoy it!

CONGRATS! I've had my Duane Eddy 6120 for almost a month now, and am still in the honeymoon phase. There's something about those Dynasonics!!!

Lovely DS and like the bridge on it, I'm interested to know what it is. I have a DSV with Seymour Duncan Dinasonics on it, thats how it came bought used and love it. I put a Tru Arc stainless bridge on it which improved the action however intonation not that accurate. Congratulations on a super guitar.

Lovely DS and like the bridge on it, I'm interested to know what it is. I have a DSV with Seymour Duncan Dinasonics on it, thats how it came bought used and love it. I put a Tru Arc stainless bridge on it which improved the action however intonation not that accurate. Congratulations on a super guitar.

– rodney wylie

Bridge is the stock Bigsby compensated. Correct for the period and intonates very close to accurate.

Rodney, I assume that's a straight Standard Tru-Arc on your guitar.

If the base is properly positioned on the guitar, it should (and normally does) provide excellent intonation - at worst out a few cents on G or B, but within most players' tolerance to hear it. (Most people don't hear intonation inaccuracy until it gets into the range of 6-8 cents or more.)

Are you having problems you hear, or do you just see them on a tuner?

In any case, that's an unusual report. In over nine years and thousands of bridges, only a handful of Standard Tru-Arcs have been returned for unacceptable intonation from guitars whose bases could be properly positioned.

But I have the SerpenTune series of bridges for exactly that situation, a one-piece radius-accurate rocking bar with a true compensation profile milled into the top surface of the bridge which puts every string at its ideal position for dead-on accurate intonation. Plus, it still rocks as needed with Bigsby use and returns to pitch.

When did you get your bridge? If it was in the last 3 years (since I've had the SerpenTune), I should have had the Standard vs Serp talk with you when you bought. Did you contact me about it when you noticed a problem? I'll always work with a customer to try to resolve such issues, and will refund purchase if he doesn't get happy. Whenever you bought, the offer still applies.

You can exchange the Standard for a SerpenTune of the same metal (or another, if you'd like to tweak tone and response) - for the difference in cost between the two. (Plus shipping, and I sometimes pro-rate a credit or refund if the returned bridge has obvious wear or damage and can't be polished back to new. Rarely happens.) Or I can refund.

I don't want anyone suffering with a Tru-Arc. It's supposed to improve your guitar!

may your arc always be tru! about to order a serpintune myself

Register Sign in to join the conversation