Modern Gretsch Guitars

Made the Pilgrimage to Brookfield

My son and I were in Milwaukee this weekend so we had to make the pilgrimage to this place:

This one was my favorite. I loved the thin body. There was a B-stock model $500 off, but I resisted the temptation. I'll even forgive the guitar for not really being a true Junior.

The best looking guitar was a Duane Eddy 6120 in white. The binding looks black but it's tortoise shell. Very sharp.

Most people don't have reason to travel to Milwaukee but well worth the effort to see the great Gretsches at Cream City.

Here's the rest of their inventory:

http://www.creamcitymusic.c...

Now I gotta go to Rocky's place in NYC.

My son found a lefty 6120. I told him I'd make a deal. I'd buy him the guitar if he told his mother that I need to buy that WF Jr.

Later we went to the Harley Davidson Museum. I learned the difference between the panhead, flathead, knucklehead, and shovelhead engines.

I felt as out of place as when I went to Cabela's once. But I tried to fit in. I really tried.

Didn't they have any blue guitars that struck your fancy?

Didn't they have any blue guitars that struck your fancy?

– Twom

They did not, sadly.

My wife and I lived in Brookfield for 3 years soonafter being married, long before Cream City came to town.

And despite Tavo's disdain, the Kay Barney Kessel Pro K1700 Blonde I bought from them is mine!

Milwaukee was a good place to live, Fish Fry Friday Nights a great memory.

I went back for business for nearly 20 years, been nearly 20 years since, things change a lot.

And then add Usingers...SAUSAGE PARTY!!!

I was over in Milwaukee a couple of Summers ago. I had full intentions of going by Cream City the Monday before we left. however, to my sad dismay, they are closed on Mondays.

That Falcon Jr. looks perfect on you, Jim!

Cream City Music is on my Bucket List of places to visit. They have had some wonderful displays at some of the Philly Guitar Shows in recent years, and they seem like truly GOOD folks to hang and chat with.

Was there any discussion, feedback or advanced scouting reports on the new Broadkaster models? They don't show any in their inventory, as is the case with other dealers I've checked. Other than YouTube NAMM videos there has been precious little information out there.... I hope Gretsch/FMIC doesn't follow the business model they used in "promoting" the Gretsch/Victoria Executive (et.al.) amps.......

The Caddy Green Jr. Broadkaster seems to be calling to me........

That Falcon Jr. looks perfect on you, Jim!

Cream City Music is on my Bucket List of places to visit. They have had some wonderful displays at some of the Philly Guitar Shows in recent years, and they seem like truly GOOD folks to hang and chat with.

Was there any discussion, feedback or advanced scouting reports on the new Broadkaster models? They don't show any in their inventory, as is the case with other dealers I've checked. Other than YouTube NAMM videos there has been precious little information out there.... I hope Gretsch/FMIC doesn't follow the business model they used in "promoting" the Gretsch/Victoria Executive (et.al.) amps.......

The Caddy Green Jr. Broadkaster seems to be calling to me........

– senojnad

They had 2 of them I think, but not a Caddy Green one. I didn't play them as I was distracted by other shiny objects.

My wife and I lived in Brookfield for 3 years soonafter being married, long before Cream City came to town.

And despite Tavo's disdain, the Kay Barney Kessel Pro K1700 Blonde I bought from them is mine!

Milwaukee was a good place to live, Fish Fry Friday Nights a great memory.

I went back for business for nearly 20 years, been nearly 20 years since, things change a lot.

And then add Usingers...SAUSAGE PARTY!!!

– Twangmeisternyc

I had one of Usinger's foot long hot dogs at the game, covered in sauerkraut and onions and cheese.(Plus deep fried cheese curds of course.) Heart attack inducing but very tasty. However I was very disappointed at the beer selection - just Miller, Coors and Leinenkugel. I realize it's a Miller owned town but still, couldn't feature some local microbrews somewhere?

All of the modern, 2nd wave, Beer Company consolidation started early 80's while we lived there.

Leinenkugel Beer in returnable bottles cost less than milk. 24 bottles, $4.20 then 24¢ back...$3.96 a case.

J. Heileman Special Export from LaCrosse, Point Beer from Steven's Point...

All three were great.

Blatz, Pabst, Schiltz, Miller all had gigantic breweries there...

Usingers is still Downtown, I order a soul-saving care package 2x/year.

Von Triers was the best Beer Bar in town, heading north from Downtown, a couple blocks in from the Lake.

Like this photo for some reason.

– drmilktruck

Trimmed your nose hairs, Jim?

Trimmed your nose hairs, Jim?

– audept

Thankfully yes.

I am fortunate to live an hour away from Cream City. I make it over to the candy store 6-8 times per year.

La Crosse is 2 hours away, but I only get to Dave's once or twice a year. It's almost worth the drive to see his museum / collection.

Register Sign in to join the conversation