Modern Gretsch Guitars

LTV Anniversary Pickups Question

Which TV Jones pickups came standard on the G6118T-LTV model. This is the nitro finish two tone Smoke Green model. Was it Classics or Power'Trons?

Powertrons were only on the 125th (the yellow/gold one) as I recall.

Pardon a pedants' corner contribution, but you might be conflating two instruments there Baxter.

The 125th Anniversary was the Jaguar Tan model with TV Powertrons.

The 120th Anniversary was the Bamboo Yellow/Copper Mist model with TV Classics.

Thanks for the replies. All the info I could find points to TV Classics in the Smoke Green LTV model, but I saw a listing which indicated Power'Trons. It's possible they were swapped in for Classics or it's possible someone just did a cut & paste on the wrong spec sheet.

I'm thinking about getting another Annie after I've sold a bit more gear, but I'm torn between the Smoke Green LTV, the Jag Tan 125th and the more recent Lotus Ivory model. They all have their own unique appeal.

They are all marvelous guitars, the powertrons on the 125th make it a different beast, more midrange, maybe better for classic overdriven sounds. The ML bracing add weight compared to tone post but is lighter than full tresle bracing.

I have owned all three in the past. The smoke green LTV was not very responsive; could have been that particular instrument. The one that really stood out as a great instrument was the 125th Jaguar Tan. If you find the Power'trons too much, it s easy to drop in a set of TV Classics. I played a new 135th Annie in a store recently and it really impressed me as well. It has trestle bracing but really felt responsive.

In spite of the consistent build quality at Terrada, some trees seem to speak more than others and it's always a bit of a dice roll when buying a guitar without playing it first. The 120th bamboo yellow 6118 is also a vey nice model if you like soft V necks on the smallish side. It has parallel braces with a tone post and TV Classics. Moving even farther away from the trestle braced guitars, 6118 models built at the Fuji-Gen factory between 2003-05 have parallel bracing with tone post and are very lightly built, like the old Brooklyn ones.

I have the smoke green 6118 LTV. I can confirm TV Classics. Wonderful guitar which I bought new and will never sell. I added a serpentune to it last year and it only got better.

Pardon a pedants' corner contribution, but you might be conflating two instruments there Baxter.

The 125th Anniversary was the Jaguar Tan model with TV Powertrons.

The 120th Anniversary was the Bamboo Yellow/Copper Mist model with TV Classics.

– ade

You're right, which is especially shabby given that I was LOOKING at a 125th when I wrote that. Nevertheless, the Jag Tan/Gold 125th was the only one with Powertrons, as I recall.

You're right, which is especially shabby given that I was LOOKING at a 125th when I wrote that. Nevertheless, the Jag Tan/Gold 125th was the only one with Powertrons, as I recall.

– Baxter

The 130th Black & Gold Junior-style Annie also came with Power'Trons, but I think that's the only model save the full sized 125th Jag Tan.

I have owned all three in the past. The smoke green LTV was not very responsive; could have been that particular instrument. The one that really stood out as a great instrument was the 125th Jaguar Tan. If you find the Power'trons too much, it s easy to drop in a set of TV Classics. I played a new 135th Annie in a store recently and it really impressed me as well. It has trestle bracing but really felt responsive.

In spite of the consistent build quality at Terrada, some trees seem to speak more than others and it's always a bit of a dice roll when buying a guitar without playing it first. The 120th bamboo yellow 6118 is also a vey nice model if you like soft V necks on the smallish side. It has parallel braces with a tone post and TV Classics. Moving even farther away from the trestle braced guitars, 6118 models built at the Fuji-Gen factory between 2003-05 have parallel bracing with tone post and are very lightly built, like the old Brooklyn ones.

– Journeyman

I own one of the Bamboo/Copper 120th Annies; great guitar. No plans to sell it.

I used to own a Power Tenny which had specs very similar to the Jag Tan 125th; biggest differences I can see are the zero fret and 59 Trestle bracing on the PTV. It's probably the furthest away from the 120th sonically.

I recall you writing about the build of the Fuji-Gen Annie on a thread earlier this year; intriguing and another option to consider.

I still have a lot of gear to sell before I made any purchase, so there's time to consider my options.

I didn't notice you already have a 120th Annie, one of the coolest guitar on earth, wish it was made lefty.... I have a 2004 Annie (my favorite guitar) with sound post, not much sustain unplugged but it becomes alive next to an amp, the light construction of the tone post make the guitar very resonant. I then had 2 different Annies with Trestle bracing, more sustain unplugged but less lively, and they weighted more, I didn't bond with them so I sold them... Then I bought a 125th Annie, great and lively thanks to the ML bracing, more powerful sound with the Powertrons. I also like the little improvements like the pinned ajustomatic bridge, and looking tuners (but I have no problems either with open gear tuners and floating space control of my green Annie :)...) So if you didn't bond with the power Tenny, maybe you should consider getting a light tone post Annie and put Hilotrons on it ;)) this way you could justify your wife having the two same guitars

Register Sign in to join the conversation