Modern Gretsch Guitars

Lowering neck pickup on 6120

I'm usually more brave, but this is my unaltered, "nice" guitar. From everyone's great advice I've lowered the bridge pickup on my 2006 Nashville by removing the wood "things" and cranking down the poles. Sounds nice to me now.

The neck pickup is too close and there's nothing to remove aside from the bracing. Have any of you chiseled them down at all? Any hazards of doing this. Any good methods other than a chisel?

Personally I wouldn't do it. The braces are there for a reason, If your gretsch is one of those ones with a block or misnamed "soundpost ' under the bridge or trestle bracing perhaps they aren't as crucial. Don't remove more than a 1/16 " or at most 1/8" Chisel is fine, be careful. What makes you think you're pickup is too close? Are the 2006 Nashvile and the 6120 the same guitar?

Personally I wouldn't do it. The braces are there for a reason, If your gretsch is one of those ones with a block or misnamed "soundpost ' under the bridge or trestle bracing perhaps they aren't as crucial. Don't remove more than a 1/16 " or at most 1/8" Chisel is fine, be careful. What makes you think you're pickup is too close? Are the 2006 Nashvile and the 6120 the same guitar?

– Toxophilite

Did it! Ahh! Sounds so nice now. I ended up removing maybe a bit more than an 1/8" with a very sharp chisel.

I got this guitar on a trade and it was untouched/factory set. The pickup poles were kissing the strings. I thought that would be fine as my Hilo'tron and Blacktops come to life when very close to the strings.

I was under the impression that I didn't care for Filterrons until I started backing them off the strings (suggested by folks here) as well as sinking the body of the pickups a bit lower.

Glad I did! It sounds like a GRETSCH now instead of the loud and muddy beast it once was!

Oh, yes this is a "6120 Nashville". I think there are several 6120 models.... isn't that the body style reference??

I suspect it is the neck angle that made the neck pu too close. I've seen that once before on a 6120.

Also, I noticed that TVJ Classics use smaller/shorter screw heads than Gretsch FT's. At least the ones I have. They give you more clearance but not 1/8". Maybe 1/16". But it could work to install TVJ's for some guitars along with taking the shims out. Expensive fix I suppose, but they are fine pu's IMHO.

Anyway good job on the fix.

Did it! Ahh! Sounds so nice now. I ended up removing maybe a bit more than an 1/8" with a very sharp chisel.

I got this guitar on a trade and it was untouched/factory set. The pickup poles were kissing the strings. I thought that would be fine as my Hilo'tron and Blacktops come to life when very close to the strings.

I was under the impression that I didn't care for Filterrons until I started backing them off the strings (suggested by folks here) as well as sinking the body of the pickups a bit lower.

Glad I did! It sounds like a GRETSCH now instead of the loud and muddy beast it once was!

Oh, yes this is a "6120 Nashville". I think there are several 6120 models.... isn't that the body style reference??

– hilosean

This is a very interesting topic as far as I'm concerned. I own a 2007 model 6120 and have often thought that I would prefer the pickups to be lowered a bit. Would you care to elaborate on what you disliked about the guitar before you lowered the pickups and what improvements you heard after you lowered them? Thanks

I still think carving into the braces for the pickups is not a good idea. If you don't have trestles or one of this misnamed 'soundposts' those braces are supporting the top.

This is a very interesting topic as far as I'm concerned. I own a 2007 model 6120 and have often thought that I would prefer the pickups to be lowered a bit. Would you care to elaborate on what you disliked about the guitar before you lowered the pickups and what improvements you heard after you lowered them? Thanks

– Enis Penvy

I wasn't getting enough clarity and chime. Muddy minds and more gain than I prefer. I sharpened a chisel with a grinding wheel until it was crazy sharp, didn't use a hammer or anything, and carefully took the wood down.

After raising the pole screws up a bit it achieved exactly what I'd hoped for. Lower volume, less. mids and some bass and brought out the clarity and chime that it lacked.

I've really fallen for the guitar after doing this. I'm not at all concerned that I've compromised the strength of the top or anything.

With the bridge pickup, just removing the wooden shims dropped it enough to do the trick.

You're fine, Gretsch removed wood from the bracing at the factory all the time to get pickup height correct.

You're fine, Gretsch removed wood from the bracing at the factory all the time to get pickup height correct.

– JazzBoxJunky

Good to know! Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation