Modern Gretsch Guitars

Love for the Tennessee Rose!

Just picked up a 2013 model in fantastic condition! These guitars really work for me: longer 25.5” scale, thinner body, regular tone knob - I love em!

I also forgot to mention the regular sound post, which I prefer to trestle bracing. I also like good 'ole standard tunematic bridges - this one is rattle-free - when strummed unplugged, this guitar has the best acoustic tone of any Gretsch I own.

The best kept secret in the modern Gretsch era. Too bad they’re discontinued.

Oh and nothing like a Falcon. 16” bout, Filters w/ tone pot.

Basically a less fancy Falcon! Awesome.

– Powertronman

Nah. That's the Country Club. Roses have 16" bodies, not 17" like Falcons and Clubs.

I love my Rose. Especially after I put T-Armonds in it!

Mine is a 1999 model so I replaced that weird roller bridge and upgraded the pickups and wiring harness (TV Jones). I love mine

The first pro line Gretsch I owned was a Tennessee Rose like this. Congrats on picking up a fine guitar.

Love mine. It’s an 03 and my first Gretsch. It is the reference standard by which I measure all other electrics. It does so much so well.

That's pretty,congrats!

The best kept secret in the modern Gretsch era. Too bad they’re discontinued.

Oh and nothing like a Falcon. 16” bout, Filters w/ tone pot.

– Charlie Vegas

Right you are of course. I was mainly thinking about the scale length. Details do make a difference.

My first Gretsch as well. I agree about the acoustic tone. I love it. My bamboo copper CC rarely gets played when the TR is out of its case. The only change I’ve made is adding a bar bridge. Gotta think the right tru-arc might be in store.

Gotta think the right tru-arc might be in store.

Why, it might even be in stock!

My first one too. My '92 with waffle bracing an TV Jones classics replacements and TI Compton bridge.

I love mine, too! Mine is a 2007 model that I picked up used about a year ago. Very well built and lovely deep burgundy color. I like the real open f-holes, too. Someday I hope to add some TV Jones classics and possibly a tru-arc but it’s a perfectly fine axe as it is. Enjoy your TR!

Always wondered what was needed to be a Tennessee Rose. Ive always like that right red model with a single pickups and black pickguard. But it seems to bare little relation to other Tennessee roses. Any ideas?

If my marginal understanding of history is correct the Tennessean was the original model (single pickup. budget model) and was a Chet Atkins model. When Chet left Gretsch they re-branded it the Tennessee Rose. A few T Rose variations were made during the Baldwin, post Baldwin and Fender eras.

Feel free to kick me in the pants if I have it wrong.

And did I read someone correctly, they discontinued the Tennessee Rose? Both models?

If my marginal understanding of history is correct the Tennessean was the original model (single pickup. budget model) and was a Chet Atkins model. When Chet left Gretsch they re-branded it the Tennessee Rose. A few T Rose variations were made during the Baldwin, post Baldwin and Fender eras.

Feel free to kick me in the pants if I have it wrong.

And did I read someone correctly, they discontinued the Tennessee Rose? Both models?

– Mr_Christopher

Spot on. The reason Gretsch doesn't have the original name "Tennessean" is because Gibson had the rights to the name because Chet was doing his versions for Gibson while Gretsch was lost in the '80's. The early modern Gretsches had to use the names "Tennessee Rose" and "Country Classic"(for the Gentleman) because Gibson held rights to those names. For some reason Gibson still holds rights to the name "Tennessean", which is why we have a variety of modern Tennessee Roses. If Gretsch has discontinued the Tennessee Roses, perhaps they have something up their sleeves coming soon. Just sayin'.

I love these guitars. I have the one with the smaller scale length and hilotrons.

There have been many Tennessee Rose models in the modern Gretsch era. The long scale model that Hellbilly posted is discontinued.

Gretsch now offers a Players Addition and a Vintage Select version.

Hellbilly did you finally sell your Club?

There was also the Tennessee Special with short scale, zero fret, 2.5" body depth and a very attractive deep red finish. I chose to sell mine, but miss it from time to time.

wow, that would be the ideal utility Gretsch archtop for me.

Beauty, congrats! I always figured I'd get me a Tennessee Rose eventually. Maybe one of these years.

Register Sign in to join the conversation