Modern Gretsch Guitars

Looking for a 6120 with Sound Post Bracing

As far as I can tell, the only full-thickness 6120 with filters and sound post bracing in the current model lineup is the RHH model. Is anybody aware of other models with these features in years past?

My 2007 6120 TM has a tone post. It's 2 1/2" thick. Wonderful guitar. Not for sale though.

My 2007 6120 TM has a tone post. It's 2 1/2" thick. Wonderful guitar. Not for sale though.

– Enis Penvy

2.5" you say? Surprised that it's not full 2.75" thickness. Do you find it to be much of an adjustment?

I've never played one with a thicker body. I personally don't see where a 1/4" would make a huge difference in feel or tone. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable members will chime in.

I would think there's a spot about 2003 - 2005, after updating the body size, but before introducing the trestle bracing that there's a few around.

I have a 2004 6119SP Tennessee Special that has the tone post, filters and 2.75" body, this will work if you can live with the cosmetics.

This one not for sale.

Lee

I may be wrong, but I think any 6120 ‘99 thru ‘03 has a tone post. The reissue trestles didn’t start until FMIC got involved.

I may be wrong, but I think any 6120 ‘99 thru ‘03 has a tone post. The reissue trestles didn’t start until FMIC got involved.

– Deke Martin

You're right Deke, looking at my '98 6120 Blue Burst. It has the "tone post" along with 2 parallel bars running essentially the length of the body and the pups are screwed into these.

Oh, and the body is 2.75" thick and has no purfling inside. This guitar has a fair weight to it which I assume is attributable to the 5 ply thickness of the body.

If I'm not mistaken, the 6120 GA had a 2.75" body depth, Filter'trons, and tone post bracing. Having said that, I have a nice 6120DS for sale at the 12th Fret in Toronto. It also has a 2.75" depth with tone post bracing, and the Dyna'sonics have been replaced with TV Jones Classics in Dyna mounts. Their price has just been lowered to $2100 Canadian dollars, although their web site doesn't indicate this yet; they are very good with shipping guitars. Here is the link: https://www.12fret.com/inst...

And here is the guitar in action, albeit with T Armonds in it at that time:

Register Sign in to join the conversation