Modern Gretsch Guitars

Looking for my first 6120

That would be the one. It just arrived via UPS about half an hour ago, and I'm resisting the urge to leave work early. I've wanted a 6120 for a long time, and the price dropped to make it a decent buy. What can you tell me about it?

That would be the one. It just arrived via UPS about half an hour ago, and I'm resisting the urge to leave work early. I've wanted a 6120 for a long time, and the price dropped to make it a decent buy. What can you tell me about it?

– taylorgtr

That is awesome, so glad it went to a good home. I bought it used but pretty much mint from Lark Street Music a few years ago. The prior owner had changed the wiring a bit and I had Bill at Dave's Sound Repair wire it back to stock and set it up. The bridge is stuck down with double sided tape on it. I had 10.5's on there and the set up was real good. The original cert was in the front zipper pocket of the soft case I had for it. Hopefully its still in there. I thought the grain on the top of this one was particularly nice and overall the guitar was really solid with no issues at all. I have an SSLVO also and wanted the Hot Rod so this one was traded.

Enjoy it

I'm looking forward to playing it - I just got my Tele and Strat back from my setup guy, and I'll have him give this a once-over (after I get to play it for a few days first). He's done a lot of work for Bill Kirchen ("Hot Rod Lincoln") , so I think he can do it up right....even if it isn't a Telecaster. :D

Just got home - it looks even better in person - the GC pics didn't do justice to the woodgrain. I'm letting it warm up for a while before tuning it, even with a poly finish, I'm not taking any chances.

The strings are still loose on it (that's why the low E looks off in the pic). It's sitting next to me in my office while it warms up. Despite the product description saying it had a case, it shipped without one. I'll deal with GC on fixing that issue. Can't wait to warm it up, tune it up, and turn it up.

Yes. There was something really cool about the grain on that one. And you scored at that price. I hope you got the cert.

The cert wasn't in the box - I'm following up with GC in the morning to deal with that and the case, since it was advertised as having one. There should be some record of how it got traded in, and that the case went somewhere (along with the certificate).

BTW, I'm loving this already - I brought it up to pitch, and love how it plays so far. I was really disappointed I lost out on that 6122-1959 (mainly because the price was so incredible), but with my smaller hands, and the fact this has no zero fret, it's a much better guitar for me.

The cert wasn't in the box - I'm following up with GC in the morning to deal with that and the case, since it was advertised as having one. There should be some record of how it got traded in, and that the case went somewhere (along with the certificate).

– taylorgtr

I traded it in will a Gator semi-rigid foam case. Just so you know that's what it had. A shame about the cert as I made a point of telling them it was in there. But the important thing is that you like it.

Oh and that makes a great lightweight but sturdy case for this model. BUT you need to get the 12 string dred sized Gator, in order for it to fit. That model fits like a glove, The standard 6 string dred model it too short in the head stock.

Just made my hotel reservation for CAAS in July. Since I'll be taking the 6120 (in addition to the Rick Turner and possibly my Tele and Taylor....), definitely driving vs flying.

Register Sign in to join the conversation