Modern Gretsch Guitars

Looking for my first 6120

I've had a number of different Gretsch models, but never a 6120, so I'm seriously looking for the best I can get within my budget of 2000-2500.......I've heard stuff about current vs FMIC, but I'd really like some advice before I take the plunge. What I'd really like would cost more than I can shell out at the moment. What's the best value out there , in your opinion please? I'm generally a OEM Guy, FilterTrons ok

I'd get a G6120-1959LTV. You should be able to pick up a used one in great condition within your budget. It's simply a classic with some of the greatest features available in the modern Gretsch range.

What is it that you would really like?

I'd get a G6120-1959LTV. You should be able to pick up a used one in great condition within your budget. It's simply a classic with some of the greatest features available in the modern Gretsch range.

– sascha

Second that. Hard to beat a "LTV", it's got all the good stuff right from the factory.

What is it that you would really like?

– JimmyR

Really like a 50's model with original single coils and the "G" brand...someday

– sascha

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of endorsement I was looking for Seems like everyone likes the new FMIC products, I've really fallen for my new 5420, it's definitely growing on me big time ,but I'm ready for a Pro 6120 now

Norm ,just get a modern version of what you want.And this one's not a bad price for a NOS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12...

Another thing,it's a store so Norm you can probably wheel and deal to a lower price also.Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Norm ,just get a modern version of what you want.And this one's not a bad price for a NOS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12...

Another thing,it's a store so Norm you can probably wheel and deal to a lower price also.Wouldn't hurt to ask.

– Michael Williams

I couldn't agree more Michael! You can't beat that with a stick Norm. Nothing to do but take the protection off the vibrato arm, plug it in and play!! NOS doesn't come along often, especially at this price! Go for it!

I couldn't agree more Michael! You can't beat that with a stick Norm. Nothing to do but take the protection off the vibrato arm, plug it in and play!! NOS doesn't come along often, especially at this price! Go for it!

– Windsordave

Exactly what I was thinking when I seen it Dave ...hell I'd love to have another like this one myself.

Price notwithstanding, I don't see a downside to buying that guitar! Get it in the afternoon and gig it that night! All bases covered as I see it!

Actually that 6120 on Ebay looks perfect for you, Norm. That's why I asked what you wanted! You never know, you might even prefer it to an old original. Buy the right guitar once. For you the only other 6120 I would suggest would be a Duane Eddy. But it doesn't have the G Brand.

I'd always advise to buy a modern Gretsch made in the 90's on. The Fender era ones up to 2003 are ok, I have a Hot Rod from 99 and that is good, the later 2004 on are superb.

I have often found used 6120's and similar I have bought sometimes need a good set up I guess buyers who are not that in the know just think the guitar will be 'right.' I picked up a nice Tiger Maple Orange 6120 which needed the truss rod adjusting and the string height adjusting, after that it was a nicer guitar.

Don't be put off, these era guitars are top quality. They are a step up over the Korean made electromatic series, good as these are, the Japan 6120 and similar (I bought a nice used 6118 in green recently) are outstanding.

I'd always advise to buy a modern Gretsch made in the 90's on. The Fender era ones up to 2003 are ok, I have a Hot Rod from 99 and that is good, the later 2004 on are superb.

I have often found used 6120's and similar I have bought sometimes need a good set up I guess buyers who are not that in the know just think the guitar will be 'right.' I picked up a nice Tiger Maple Orange 6120 which needed the truss rod adjusting and the string height adjusting, after that it was a nicer guitar.

Don't be put off, these era guitars are top quality. They are a step up over the Korean made electromatic series, good as these are, the Japan 6120 and similar (I bought a nice used 6118 in green recently) are outstanding.

– Matt66

Just to be clear, Fender (FMIC) became involved with Gretsch in 2002.

Wow, that NOS is a steal! Go for it.

Just to be clear, Fender (FMIC) became involved with Gretsch in 2002.

– Gretschadelphia

To be even clearer, the agreement was announced in January 2003 and that is when FMIC began to handle the design and manufacture of the guitars. So, anything with a 2003 S/N is going to be a fine guitar, particularly anything from the second half of the year.

Second that. Hard to beat a "LTV", it's got all the good stuff right from the factory.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I have a question did they make a cheaper version of the "LTV" without TV Jones and lacquer called the G6120-1959?

I have a question did they make a cheaper version of the "LTV" without TV Jones and lacquer called the G6120-1959?

– doombuggy

To my knowledge no. The neck profile is unique to only a few 6120's. They are IIRC, the LTV's and the Setzers, with possibly a few other limited models.

To me, the vintage "V" neck is one of the nicest feeling and playing necks offered. Some love it, some don't, and it's not a big deal to others. Have to play one and see how it feels in your hands.

Hopefully others will chime in too.

– doombuggy

Yup.

Yup.

– Pappy

I thought they did but couldnt remember.

the V in LTV is for TV Jones pups right, not a V neck?, L is for "lacquer"....which is funny cause all Gretsch/Fender does is spray a yellowed coat of lacquer on top of the urethane base caot, my LTV had a slight V to the neck, I miss it :/

I ReRanchd my old poly Setzer in my profile photo and it worked to yellow / mellow the guitar just like a Setzer G6120SSLVO

I thought they did but couldnt remember.

the V in LTV is for TV Jones pups right, not a V neck?, L is for "lacquer"....which is funny cause all Gretsch/Fender does is spray a yellowed coat of lacquer on top of the urethane base caot, my LTV had a slight V to the neck, I miss it :/

I ReRanchd my old poly Setzer in my profile photo and it worked to yellow / mellow the guitar just like a Setzer G6120SSLVO

– doombuggy

Yes. "TV" stands for TV Jones. "T" all by itself means a Bigsby "Tremolo" on an instrument that wouldn't ordinarily have one.

Keep your eye on your local Craigslist, too - I just missed a 6122-1959 that was really sweet, and it went for $1550.

Also, some shops are doing end of year sales - after missing out on the 6122, I found what I really wanted in the first place. A 2012 G6120 in orange. Got it for even less than the 6122. I'll be getting it set up in the next few days, and definitely taking it to CAAS in July.

To be even clearer, the agreement was announced in January 2003 and that is when FMIC began to handle the design and manufacture of the guitars. So, anything with a 2003 S/N is going to be a fine guitar, particularly anything from the second half of the year.

– Ric12string

I have 6120 jr made in Nov. 2002 with a FMIC style serial number. JT0211----

S Mac

Also, some shops are doing end of year sales - after missing out on the 6122, I found what I really wanted in the first place. A 2012 G6120 in orange. Got it for even less than the 6122. I'll be getting it set up in the next few days, and definitely taking it to CAAS in July.

– taylorgtr

Any chance you bought that one from a Guitar Center in NJ? If so it used to be mine, and its fantastic! If so I will tell you more about it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation