Modern Gretsch Guitars

Looking for guidance on Gretsch Black Falcon G6139T-CB vs. G6136T P…

Hi all,

I've been working hard this year and was able to save up enough money to finally purchase my dream guitar - a Gretsch Black Falcon.

I'm looking on the used market and have found a couple that seem to be priced very reasonably. As the title states, one is the G6139T-CB and the other is the G6136 Player's Edition. Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, but from my understanding, the CB has the thin body and the center block which helps a lot with feedback issues and is generally more comfortable to play. And the player's edition I understand also has a thinner body (not as thin as the CB though, & sans center block) but also has the string-thru bigsby and locking tuners. Both guitars seem to have a pinned bridge which is a major plus for me as I remember hating the floating bridge on my old gretsch I sold a long time ago.

If it's any help, I would say about 70% of my playing is clean to slightly dirty (comp + timmy), 30% would describe as Medium gain (timmy + box of rock, or timmy + 1981 DRV). Is there anything I'm missing here comparing the two models? The features on the player's edition seem really great, but wondering if the advantages of the center block might potentially outweigh those in terms of usefulness. Wondering if I really need to worry too much about feedback issues. Anyone have any experience with both? FWIW they are priced exactly the same.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated -- thanks so much in advance!

IIRC the center block is the smaller 24.6" scale and a double cutaway, as well as being a thin-line? That's going to feel/sound a bit different from the larger ones, but I'll let the Falcon-heads weigh in. One things for sure, you can't go wrong!

The single cut BF center block is a rare beast! I have played one and loved it. I own a PE BF though and love that too. You don’t have to worry about feed back with either really. The PE BF sounds “Bigger” to my ear. I think you can hear the bigger more hollow body. Can’t go wrong with either though in my book. Especially if you put in TV Classics or Ray Butts Filtertrons, which also sound sublime.

PS, the idea that unpotted filtertrons feed back a lot more is not true. I AB’d RB filters and Classics in Tom’s shop and there was only the slightest difference at very high gain settings.

6139's were 16" lower bout,and as lx points out ,24.6" scale.

Thank you fellas! Yes, the center block is the single cut which I believe was a limited run. Glad that I can't really go wrong! Going to make for a tough choice.

6139's were 16" lower bout,and as lx points out ,24.6" scale.

– JCHiggy

Ah, so you're saying the 6139 will have a slightly smaller overall body size than the 6136 in addition to having the thinner body?

I didn’t know about the difference in scale length! That makes the center block version even more interesting.

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Pics when you get it!

Ah, so you're saying the 6139 will have a slightly smaller overall body size than the 6136 in addition to having the thinner body?

– awscheibe

Yes,and they have a 1.75" depth.

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Pics when you get it!

– Windsordave

Thank you! To update everyone, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Player's Edition. I decided the extra features were too good to pass up on especially for the same money. Can't wait to get this beautiful thing in my hands!

If by chance any of you are interested in the center block, here's the sale posting on thegearpage.

The owner seems like a real stand-up guy based on our conversations. Was sorry to have to let him know I was passing! Maybe one of you can give it a new home

Congrats awscheibe!

Please post some pics when it arrives sir!

Oh,and welcome to the GDP!!

Here is the original reverb posting.

You did good. You'll really like this guitar, I'm sure.

Congrats awscheibe!

Please post some pics when it arrives sir!

Oh,and welcome to the GDP!!

– JCHiggy

Thanks so much! Definitely will post pics!

You are going to love it. Here is a pic of me with mine...

Good choice on the Bigger Bird! It would have been my choice also. I got two Country Clubs with same 25.5 Scale and 17” body as your Falcon. You are gonna be impressed with the girth and the bling factor of your new Gretsch.

You are going to love it. Here is a pic of me with mine...

– Powertronman

Awesome! Love it!

Good choice on the Bigger Bird! It would have been my choice also. I got two Country Clubs with same 25.5 Scale and 17” body as your Falcon. You are gonna be impressed with the girth and the bling factor of your new Gretsch.

– SLICKFASTER

Glad to hear. Absolutely cannot wait!

Well, gentlemen -- she's here! Going to need some fresh strings and a setup, but overall I'm incredibly happy!

Register Sign in to join the conversation