Modern Gretsch Guitars

Looking for a real expert about Gretsch

Hello everybody. I have this wonderful Gretsch. I bought it used and I really don't know what model is or factory roots because serial number is very strange and unusual. Some real expert about Gretsch guitar could help me to know more? Thank you very much.

Elliot Easton Sig.?? Not sure about that serial number..........

Another vote for the Korean EE Sig. There was a proline version of this model, but this ain't that. Looks like a decent guitar, though. Like that green...

Electromatic EE? Gorgeous green! I normally don't like gold hardware, but on a green guitar it works!

I say that's either a transistion model from the period Gretsch renamed the 'Made in China' version of the Elliot Easton Jet or a very late one. The first ones were from the Synchromatic series (model number 1570) and discontinued when they launched the Electromatic line (then 5570).

Seeing the pure 'Gretsch' headstock logo without any addition seems weird but we've seen this before. Originally the truss rod cover also had Elliot's name on it.Gretsch removed that after Elliot had left the endorsement until the model faded out. Your serial number might put it in 2001 as one might think but I wouldn't be sure about this. And if I remember correctly we never figured out what the 'M' prefix was for.

So what do we know? You have the MIC version of the Elliot Easton signature Jet. Typical features, typical colour. Enjoy it!

P.S. I bet it's heavy.

My take on the "M" was that this guitar did not go through the Gretsch sales channel, albeit it was made in the same production, in the same factory, at that time.

It's an Electromatic version of the EE!! It's an earlier one with the more origin darker stained mahagony.The later ones wheren't that dark.Mine has no serial and was bought to me as a fair guitar.

It's actually a pre-Fender Synchromatic model 1570 EE Jet. The M series serial number is found on the 1570's, but not generally on the 5570, which is the Fender-era Electromatic version. There is no Pre-fender Electromatic version.

It's actually a pre-Fender Synchromatic model 1570 EE Jet. The M series serial number is found on the 1570's, but not generally on the 5570, which is the Fender-era Electromatic version. There is no Pre-fender Electromatic version.

– Tartan Phantom

Sorry! Of course I've meant Synchromatic, too.It was at this time a little bit of confusion with the names of the low budget models.

Thanks all! And yes, it's heavy, like a seventies Les Paul Custom. Someone could tell me about quality? The guitar sounds ok but I'd love to upgrade it with different pick ups (TV JONES), an original Bigsby and Imperial tuners. It's a good idea? Thanks again, folks!

Thanks all! And yes, it's heavy, like a seventies Les Paul Custom. Someone could tell me about quality? The guitar sounds ok but I'd love to upgrade it with different pick ups (TV JONES), an original Bigsby and Imperial tuners. It's a good idea? Thanks again, folks!

– djinthedark

Hey, it's your guitar, modify it to your heart's content. Don't know that the Imperials or the Bigsby upgrade will make much of a difference, but the TV Jones pickups sure will. if you're going to upgrade the Bigsby, you will probably still have to stay within the B7/B70/B700 family, due to the very shallow neck pitch. Using a B3 will not only leave an obvious hole in the top (from the mounting screw of the original B700), but you could run into tuning stability and playability issues if you try to use a B3, due to insufficient break angle over the bridge.

The USA-made Bigsby upgrade would be a model B7. Keep in mind that the mounting holes on the hinge plate probably won't match up.

I had a 5570 and upgraded with filtertrons. The longer scale and weight made me sell it to a GDPer, but otherwise it was a fine guitar.

Hey, it's your guitar, modify it to your heart's content. Don't know that the Imperials or the Bigsby upgrade will make much of a difference, but the TV Jones pickups sure will. if you're going to upgrade the Bigsby, you will probably still have to stay within the B7/B70/B700 family, due to the very shallow neck pitch. Using a B3 will not only leave an obvious hole in the top (from the mounting screw of the original B700), but you could run into tuning stability and playability issues if you try to use a B3, due to insufficient break angle over the bridge.

The USA-made Bigsby upgrade would be a model B7. Keep in mind that the mounting holes on the hinge plate probably won't match up.

– Tartan Phantom

Thank you very much for your suggestions :) Just last question: I didn't understand if it's Made in China or Korea... It's a transition model, ok...but where it was made?

Pretty sure that yours (G1570) was Korean-made. The G5570 (FMIC-era) was made in China.

One more thing-- If you go the TV Jones route on the pickups, the new "Universal mount" versions (with included clips) should drop right in. However, If you retain the original mounting rings, you will have some gaps between the pickups and the original rings. You will need new mounting rings for a perfect fit. If you want plain humbucker style rings, you'll need the "EM1" rings. If you want to change out the mounting rings to classic Gretsch style, you'll need the "EM2" english mount rings-- and you'll need new screw holes for the EM2 rings.

If that's too confusing, just order your TV's in the standard (Gibson) humbucker mount, and they should drop in with no mods using the original rings.

Register Sign in to join the conversation