Modern Gretsch Guitars

Look What Followed Me Home! (NGD)

The Gretsch is more comfortable to play for me --- I'm used to bigger-bodied guitars, and I like 'em. It's a bit neck-heavy, but not unmanageably so --- between a cushioned strap and my forearm on the lower bout, it stays in place jes' fine.

Once it became clear that the mermaid/teal/blue/green thing discussed here some months ago wasn't gonna happen, I looked again at the stock colors. Solid opaque black didn't grab me, nor the sunburst. The Walnut stain option seemed possible, but in a "maybe one of these days ... we'll see" kinda way.

The blonde one with the gold hardware demanded that I try it out, and the confluence of timing and finances was such that I couldn't say no. What can I say --- I love guitars!

Once it became clear that the mermaid/teal/blue/green thing discussed here some months ago wasn't gonna happen, I looked again at the stock colors.

Yep. That's when I succumbed. Eventually the conviction that I needed a Gretsch 12-string (despite being well-stocked in that department) overcame my general lack of luster for the black. Sunburst wasn't ever gonna happen (for some reason, in my aesthetics, Gretsch and sunburst don't conjoin), walnutpoop-brown seems completely part and parcel with Gents (which, OK, a 5422-12 in brown traces a direct lineage, but still...no), and the naturals at the time just weren't there. That left black. And I'm ok with black guitars. It's not mermaid teal, but it's good enough. White would have tripped the trigger as well.

Natural is the most natural choice for a Gent-shaped Gretsch 12, because Mike Nesmith. Maybe I shoulda held out. Maybe I can make it happen now.

I doubt if it would play or sound any better though.

I need one of those guitars! Dang now I'm on the look out for one

I've got a black and gold one coming either tomorrow or Monday. I like the amber ones, saw that MF will have them soon. But I really have a good relationship with Sweetwater and that's where mine is coming from. BTW....how is photo posting done?

The most efficient way is to upload them to a photo hosting site like imgur.com, then copy the URL link from the site into your post. You can include several pictures in a single post that way.

Register Sign in to join the conversation