Modern Gretsch Guitars

Locking Strap Hardware

My G5422TG (Electromatic version of the double cut away White Falcon) came with the usual locking strap anchors. Unlike my center block and solid body Electromatics, when I remove the hardware to attach a strap, it totally unscrews from the body of the guitar rather than exposing the post to which the strap is supposed to attach. Anyone else had similar problems? Solutions?

Rob, you mean the knurled knobs? (I'm assuming those come on Electromatics, I haven't looked in a while). I had to get a two wrenches and gently twist the pole and the knurled head in opposite directions and release them. After that they work fine (and then I replace them all with Schallers anyway)

I have Schaller strap locks on three of my 'daily drivers". They're not the standard Gretsch pins, these ones come from the music store and are available in chrome, gold or black. For me, they replaced the factory pins in about two minutes per guitar and have saved my backside more than once since I put them on.

As for the knurled pins on my Gretsch, they work well only so long as the strap itself is in decent shape. As soon as there is any wear, they can become a bit of a hazard.

Picture didn't attach... Take Two.

The newer version of schallers are even better! The ones Kevin has pictures of I put on all my guitars (and one still manages to come unhooked!) - I unwittingly purchased the "S Locks" and MAN are they improved.

Schaller S-Locks

The newer version of schallers are even better! The ones Kevin has pictures of I put on all my guitars (and one still manages to come unhooked!) - I unwittingly purchased the "S Locks" and MAN are they improved.

Schaller S-Locks

– Devil's Tool

Yup. The only time I’ve dropped a guitar is using the Schallers. Used to use them...not any more

The Gretsch pins unscrewing from the body is fairly common, and easily remedied. Some of them have a small Phillips head in the end of the pin - look carefully. That can help in getting it screwed back in, once you get the body-screw and knurled knob apart. Put a little woodglue down in the hole before you screw it back in, tighten it firmly, and it won't come out again.

The real problem with the Gretsch knurled knobs (traditional though they are and considered part of the unique kit of a Gretsch) is that the natural back and forth motion of the strap gradually loosens them from the body-screws. They're tight when you start, but can work themselves completely off. If you reach down and tighten the knob a couple times a set, you'll be good.

If you plan to leap around a lot, one of the better locking solutions is...you know. Better.

FWIW - the new "S" locks are more tightly engineered and don't "rock" on the spring loaded post like they used to. They're calling the "S" for "Silent" but I think it stands for "Stops dropping your guitar" LOL

I actually only had one guitar (out of maybe 6 that got heavy use) that kept unlocking with the older Schallers, and I still can't figure out why , I think it's just a strap/angle thing. I didn't have the problem until I put a different strap on

I don't have the "S's" and I think it's safe to say that none of the guitars I've had them on has come unstuck, so to speak.

Probably the most likely suspect for potential disaster was my Precision bass, a heavy mother of a slab I wore in a graffiti Rock showband back in the late 80's which had a lot of choreography in it. We were jumping up and down, sliding on our knees, dueling back and forth with the necks and never once did I have an issue.

Those now-ancient Schallers are still on that Pre... still working as of the last time I had it out of the case.

Of course, I don't jump around near so much any more.

I've got an old pair of Schallers on my Double cut Jet. I can get a really cool creaking door sound with them when I twist my guitar while pushing down on the strap.

I've always used the Schallers on all my guitars, and while I've never had a guitar hit the ground, they have tended to work loose by the nut on top of the washer on the strap coming loose. This new design seems more bullet proof but also more fiddley.

It's funny how in the video he says you don't need a tool (wrench) to put the nut on, but you DO need a tool to tighten it all the way down and then to lock down the hex nut.

I'm not sure the one piece button and integrated screw is a good thing. It would seem more prone to coming unscrewed with strap movement than the original two piece.

But overall these do seem better.

I took a different direction, and bought several Lock-It guitar straps. They have a locking mechanism built into the strap ends, and I've never had one come unlocked.

Lock-It Straps fit very securely onto any guitar button, even the Gretsch knurled knobs. They have soft leather ends that won't scratch your guitar. They fit very tight at first, but the leather breaks in quickly and they get easier to use. I use it on my G5422TG all the time, and it's never come unlocked. I did (eventually) put the lowest strength Locktite on the knurled knob threads, because they would come unscrewed from time to time.

The new Schallers do require a tool to install, but the tool is included, at least it was with mine. I've only tried one set and raved about them somewhere (here on the GDP, maybe), and they work as advertised. But for the most part, I use the Dunlop Straploks. Why? The old Schallers were notoriously were hard (for me) to disconnect strap from guitar with my right hand as I broke more than one fingernail trying to do it, and my playing doesn't need any more hindrances. The Dunlops are much easier to work with for that, and while the new Schallers have improved the issue of the gradually-loosening nut on the strap, the Dunlops eliminate it altogether by use of the E-ring. The flip side to this is that the strap side of the equation is often harder to install on a thicker strap, and the hole often needs to be enlarged.

My second-most-recent acquisition (a Reverend Contender RB) didn't get either those Dunlops nor Schallers, owing to not having spares, being unemployed, being (temporarily) unable to drive, and not having many open guitar stores even if I could, but rather another Dunlop creation, the LokStrap (illustrated here). This works on most any strap button and holds the strap on securely, is completely reversible, and cheaper than any other. I did have spares of these, so that's what I went with, and haven't felt like I need to change them out. I've also got them on my ES-150 because I didn't want to change anything on that guitar.

I’ve had that same issue with the screw backing out on my 6119 and as Proteus suggested, a little dab of wood glue solved that problem.

I have both Schaller and Dunlop strap locks on a couple guitars, but I use these rubber washers on the rest, particularly my older ones. And they work great. Plus they’re cheaper, allowing me to deploy resources elsewhere.

Thrive

I tried the Schallers and hated them. They alter the way the guitar hangs and can cause problems with cases and gig bags. I used the Dunlops for a while and sort of liked them, but they were too tight for my liking. I've gone back to rubber washers, whether purpose-made or from bottles of Grolsch. They were good enough for Joe Strummer!

I’ve had that same issue with the screw backing out on my 6119 and as Proteus suggested, a little dab of wood glue solved that problem.

Same here-- plus the fact that I leave the strap on whenever I put the guitar into the case. I just check the knob tightness periodically and I'm good to go.

Never really cared for Schallers...they make noise if you move a hollowbody around. Nothing like clanging sounds coming out of your amp onstage or in the studio.

For years I lived with the Gretsch hardware just fine...til I dropped one of the heads on the stage floor and had a heckuva time finding it.

A few years ago I got my first 6120DE. It comes standard with Dunlops. After swearing for years I'd never use another strap lock I now have Dunlops on most of my Gretsches. They do the job, and they are quiet.

The spring post inside the Schaller would come loose and there was no slot to tighten it (I am an engineer), you could only hand tighten. I gave up on them over 20 years ago.

Dunlop’s attach with a retaining ring in a groove. I’ve never had one come loose.

I like the original Gretsch straplock system. I just buy a strip of leather, measure the length against on old strap I have used on the guitar, cut to length, drill a hole for the strap button: done. On my SSLVO I use a vintage style Gretsch strap and the regular Gretsch screw on buttons and that works just fine. Never had a problem. I really don't like those Schaller strap locks. I haven't tried the new ones but don't need them. The old ones don't fit straps properly because the post bit which goes through the strap is so huge and stretches the leather so much it might snap. They rattle, are bulky and for me plain unnecessary.

And for you guys who use Grolsch bottle rubber grommets be careful - I find they don't do anything. They pop off very easily. But at least Grolsch is nice.

Schaller Strap Locks.

– wabash slim

I have these on my Jazzmaster. They are a bit clunky but I like them. I second the emotion. I concur with wabash, these are good.

Register Sign in to join the conversation