Modern Gretsch Guitars

Let’s Talk Pearl Jets

– Mr Tubs

Here is that same photo but in a slightly larger format (easier on my tired old eyes!).

I've lusted after a blue(ish) Pearl Jet for a decade... and I'm not sure why they've eluded me this long (as I've acquired other guitars during that time). So someday, one will be mine!

I also have a vague recollection of seeing a Stern Custom Shop 6120 with the blue pearl wrap top... or was I dreaming that?!

– kc_eddie_b

I think you’re right Ed but I also remember this 3 pup pinky pearl but I can’t seem to locate the other one...unless my recollection is off.

Mmm...Swedish Fish Red

– crowbone

Better Swedish Red Fish than Man Salmon.

Edit- And then that pink beauty gets posted. Love it!

Der pink she is lovely. Anyone have a pic of the whole entire enchilada?

Here we go...sorry John but you started this :)

– Michael Williams

That's it!!! It wasn't a dream!

Here we go...sorry John but you started this :)

– Michael Williams

Haha...never be sorry for posting that!

Here is that same photo but in a slightly larger format (easier on my tired old eyes!).

– Ric12string

Great Gretsch photo, but not what I remembered. What I remember was in the USA Today for Carl's obit, in beautiful color and I'm positive it was a blue pearl Jet. It was IIRC an early reissue like Carl's sparkle Jet as above.

For them what enjoy pretty pictures, here's the pre-FMIC boat anchor I've posted previously. Since sold, despite its beauty...

Have they ever made one in white pearl? That seems like it would be a natural.

– Don Birchett

Punny. And, I agree.

Red pearl. I would sell my soul for red pearl.

For them what enjoy pretty pictures, here's the pre-FMIC boat anchor I've posted previously. Since sold, despite its beauty...

– Lacking Talent

Boat Anchor?

Really, LT?

How heavy was it?

As long as we're not talking mauve, taupe, or chartreuse pearl Jets, I'm there.

I love that Penguin that Joel owns... That reminds me of the old Ludwig "Black Diamond" drum finish, which I always lusted after way back in my drummer days.

– Tartan Phantom

These Black Oyster Pearl Slingerlands from '64 would make a nice guitar top!

Red pearl. I would sell my soul for red pearl.

– UncleGrumpy

You don't have to sell your soul for plastic. You can just buy it.

Precision Drum

– crowbone

Absolutely. Nice.

This thread is pure evil. Lead us not unto temptation! Fortunately there are currently no pearl Jets listed on eBay. Maybe I should check Reverb.

If you all want a Pearl Jet why not buy a Jet and have Curt or someone like him (even though he is one of a kind) refinish it in plastic drum wrap? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to do for a professional. I would try to find one scratched and beat up since it would be cheaper and you won't see the face of the guitar after the drum wrap is attached.

I'm haunted by the time i procrastinated over one just like in post 3,haunted ,it was only £1050 ffs...!

If you all want a Pearl Jet why not buy a Jet and have Curt or someone like him (even though he is one of a kind) refinish it in plastic drum wrap? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to do for a professional. I would try to find one scratched and beat up since it would be cheaper and you won't see the face of the guitar after the drum wrap is attached.

– BuddyHollywood

That ain't a bad idea, Buddy.

That ain't a bad idea, Buddy.

– crowbone

After seeing that Custom Shop 6120, I would have to consider getting an Electrotone body beater for a wrap.

A B&W 6119 or 6122 would look pretty darn good, maybe even with black sparkle faux "f" holes.

– crowbone

I was in a band back around then where the drummer had Blue Oyster Pearl Slingerlands. Really nice.

Boat Anchor?

Really, LT?

How heavy was it?

– crowbone

Heavy as a Gibson Les Paul Custom or Peavey T-60. My double cut, champagne sparkle Jet from the same era was the same, unfortunately.

Heavy as a Gibson Les Paul Custom or Peavey T-60. My double cut, champagne sparkle Jet from the same era was the same, unfortunately.

– Lacking Talent

My new jet is from the same era...I can deal...but honestly, this drum wrap option has my wheels turning.

My new jet is from the same era...I can deal...but honestly, this drum wrap option has my wheels turning.

– crowbone

Several years back, someone around here did their Electro hollowbody themselves.

IIRC, he gave specifics on how he did it. It sure looked good.

Can't remember his name though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation