Modern Gretsch Guitars

Just picked up my 2019 Streamliner Jr. 2655

Now i'm a proud owner of a GRETSCH

I picked it up this evening and just enjoyed playing it for an hour or so......and it's great!!!

Lightweight, beautiful to play and a beauty in general LOVE IT!

Unplugged it sounds brilliant without being "squeaky" - there is still bass in it and what i hear i well defined and pleasingly clear. I whish i could play some nice jazz-tunes - Earl Klugh stuff or something.....will have to learn

Amplified it let's out Gretsch-sound right away - though it sounds more saturated to my ear. With more gain added, the mids come strong without killing treble and bass. Still very defined. The bridge-pup is not as jangly as i expected it to be - kinda dark and bassy. The neck-pup sound just perfectly to my ear - just like neck-pup should.....nothing more to say.

The wiring got modded a bit since i instructed the technician to check, wether the pu-vol-pots work satisfactory. In his opinion they didn't, so he added an r/c-filter to the master volume and some resistors to the pu-volumes. Now i can control the volume of the pups independently without suffering from loss of volume or treble-bleeding.

I have to admit that my recent amp might not be the right one to take such a guitar through the paces but i didn't find all my "sugar-sounds" immediately. Yet i rather blame my amp than my guitar for that.......maybe it's just a matter of experience and i will learn soon .

Ergonomics, response and feel are perfect for me.

I'll have plenty of happy hours with this guitar - that's for sure! Now i'm just waiting for some proper Gretsch-Knobs to get rid of those plastic things - but that's just me)

I'll also add the guitar to the GDP archive so you can have a look at it

link will be here......

Sounds like you picked a good one, enjoy! And I don't blame you for getting the correct knobs, never settle for less than the best.

You know, Gretsch went to some effort to get the knobs on that guitar because they are based upon their research into the various historical knobs that the company used over the years. It isn't as if they said, "Let's try to skimp on the knobs and just use plastic ones." Those knobs are modeled after knobs that Gretsch used on vintage guitars in the past.

one more try......pic wouldn'tload up......

Bob: I totally agree with you about the Streamliner knobs. OK, if people want to change control knobs on any electric guitar then go ahead -- it's your guitar so you can do what you like with it. But much as I like the chrome 'G' knobs (all five of my Gretches have them) I also like the vintage vibe of the Streamliner knobs. But that's just me -- each to their own.

Incidentally, my Hamer gold top had those small black tophat knobs that I find fiddly to use, especially if my right had gets a bit sticky during a gig. I changed them for a trio of big cream Harmony-type cupcake knobs with ribbed sides. Much better. Oh, OK, and they match the colour of the soapbar covers and I'm rather partial to gold top guitars with cream bits!

You know, Gretsch went to some effort to get the knobs on that guitar because they are based upon their research into the various historical knobs that the company used over the years. It isn't as if they said, "Let's try to skimp on the knobs and just use plastic ones." Those knobs are modeled after knobs that Gretsch used on vintage guitars in the past.

– Ric12string

In my case, it's not about historical correctness -it's just about the look . Plus - the master volume knob doesn't rotate centrical - no big deal... but a thorn in my side somehow.

She's a sweety! Congrats!

Hey, it's your guitar so definitely mod her out the way you want her. I think Ric12 was just making a point about the historical accuracy. You may be able to bring the bridge pick-up closer to the stings, for more jangle. Or even adjust each idividual pole.

What kind of amp are you using and what type of music will you be playing?

– Ric12string

My bad, wasn't aware of the historical angle there. Not that I think Gretsch would skimp on anything, I've just not seen the plastic knobs before. That said, my personal preference would lean towards the arrow knobs. Then again, when I replaced the wiring harness on my Tennessean with the TV Jones harness, I replaced the plastic switch tips with the metal tips mine originally came with. Go figure.

No problem, Synchroslim. I have heard people complain about the knobs since the Streamliner models were first issued and the implication has always been that Gretsch was trying to be cheap on these more basic model guitars by using plastic knobs. So, I just wanted to try ti dispel that notion, if possible.

It would have been easier, frankly, for Gretsch to have just put the G-arrow knobs on because they already had them. Instead, wanting to create a guitar that was something different, yet special, they went out and sourced those knobs. Granted, the idea of having plastic knobs on a Gretsch guitar, given the longevity of the G-arrow knobs, is something that many have to wrap their brain around. But, there is a reason for them being there, and that isn't that they are trying to skimp.

But, by all means, feel free to modify your own guitars. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. These Streamliners make a good modding platform.

Nice guitar. Congrats. I like my Streamliner. I have mixed feelings about the knobs as well but gave no priority to changing. After now learning of why they were chosen, I will probably keep them.

That’s a real nice looking guitar, congrats! One thing I love about the look of those is the fret board inlays, how they almost take up the whole fret. I like that look.

I like the plastic dome knobs. They really aren't exactly like anyone else's, so it's not like they're generic.

Inspired by (but not identical to) knobs on pre-1954 Gretschs, they're actually as distinctively Gretsch as the G-arrows, just not as well-known. So it kinda makes you one of the Gretsch cognoscenti to be aware of the lineage.

Besides that, I just think they look cool. And we should remember that in the late 40s and early 50s, when Gretsch first used similar plastic knobs, plastic wasn't considered "cheap" - it was the modern miracle material.

No problem, Synchroslim. I have heard people complain about the knobs since the Streamliner models were first issued and the implication has always been that Gretsch was trying to be cheap on these more basic model guitars by using plastic knobs. So, I just wanted to try ti dispel that notion, if possible.

It would have been easier, frankly, for Gretsch to have just put the G-arrow knobs on because they already had them. Instead, wanting to create a guitar that was something different, yet special, they went out and sourced those knobs. Granted, the idea of having plastic knobs on a Gretsch guitar, given the longevity of the G-arrow knobs, is something that many have to wrap their brain around. But, there is a reason for them being there, and that isn't that they are trying to skimp.

But, by all means, feel free to modify your own guitars. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. These Streamliners make a good modding platform.

– Ric12string

Actually, I forgot to say thank you for the information, I've filed that in my Gretsch info files! That's one of the things I truly love about this forum and the good folks hereon, the opportunity to learn more about a guitar brand I have grown to love more as time passes. And you are absolutely right about the longevity of the arrow knobs-I've still got the originals on my'68 Tennessean, and they look as good as they always did. And now that I know the story behind those plastic knobs, I understand-and my hat's always of to historic originality!

Very nice guitar!! Congratulations.

Tell us more about the amp you are using and the kinds of sounds you are seeking. There is a ton of knowledge here (not to be confused with opinions, of course......) on matching Gretsch guitars with amplifiers.

My bad, wasn't aware of the historical angle there. Not that I think Gretsch would skimp on anything, I've just not seen the plastic knobs before. That said, my personal preference would lean towards the arrow knobs. Then again, when I replaced the wiring harness on my Tennessean with the TV Jones harness, I replaced the plastic switch tips with the metal tips mine originally came with. Go figure.

– Synchroslim

Switch-Tip!!!! Thats a good point......another mod i'll definetly think about.

Here are some more pics..... have to shoot some proper ones at daylight....

Congratulations! It even looks like it's a fun guitar to play.

Nice guitar. Those are cool looking.

Nice guitar, I'm glad you got it. It looks like a winner, enjoy!

Switch-Tip!!!! Thats a good point......another mod i'll definetly think about.

Here are some more pics..... have to shoot some proper ones at daylight....

– jmkoeln

Yes sir, the metal tips are available through TV Jones as well as the arrow knobs should you choose to go that route. And the more pics I see of your streamliner, the nicer it looks! Again, congratulations!

Just a parting word, keep parts you might remove and stash them away-you never know when they might come in handy.

Folks - i work too much......i just can't make it home at daylight

After attaching some Schaller S-Locks to my new sweety, i took her to another photo-shooting

Hope you like the new shots - at least they display the real color (single barrel stain) a bit better..... it's less "orange" than on the early pics.

Here we go:

Register Sign in to join the conversation