Modern Gretsch Guitars

Just ordered a 6120-59 My First Gretsch

Congratulations and welcome! I know what you mean about not needing any other guitars and I also echo the sentiment that Proteus expressed, "It's the voice many of us didn't know we were looking for, until we found it."

Still, another beauty of That Great Gretsch Sound is it pairs amazingly well with other guitars in a mix either live or on recordings. On my own recordings my Duo Jet is the foundation tone on every song and then I pair it up with other guitars which help steer the song in whatever direction they need to go. Sometimes the Duo Jet is the only guitar. Gretsch guitars also pair well with acoustic guitars.

Congrats on the guitar. It's one of the most iconic guitars around.

I also applaud you guys with the balls to order a pro guitar for delivery. In my experience, you buy the one off the shelf that plays nice as the same model can sound dramatically different depending on what day it was made ;)

Well there ya go, sell off the rest and get a Falcon or Penguin.

Glad you're happy, not surprised.

Congrats on the guitar. It's one of the most iconic guitars around.

I also applaud you guys with the balls to order a pro guitar for delivery. In my experience, you buy the one off the shelf that plays nice as the same model can sound dramatically different depending on what day it was made ;)

– shane kislack

Thanks Shane, I’ve actually done really well with that. It takes a lot of research and the seller has to have a good return policy (and you have to be willing to eat the return shipping if you don’t like the guitar). My last 3 guitar purchases were a 1968 Gibson L7C I bought off Reverb, an Ernie Ball Valentine I found used on eBay and this Gretsch I got new from Sweetwater. I love them all and I am incredibly picky about necks. I prefer thin, narrow necks. The L7 was made in an era when Gibson was putting thin necks on everything so that was a safe bet. The Ernie Balls all have the same neck profile with a 1 5/8” nut width so I knew I would like that one (had an Albert Lee a few years ago that I never should have sold).

The Gretsch was admittedly a gamble. The one I played had a C-shaped neck that was a little fuller than I prefer. I read this one has a soft vintage V shape and I thought I would like that. The gamble paid off, I love the feel of this neck. So I guess I’m sold on buying guitars without playing them!

Register Sign in to join the conversation