Modern Gretsch Guitars

Just bought my 8th Falcon!

Well, stumbled onto a brand new G6136T-59GE at a no-brainer price and bought it.

One of my White Falcons was in the old Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I highly modified that one to varying degrees of success.

On this new one....which is pretty cool imo....I'm going to replace the stock Bigsby with a gold B7 (which I always do) and then wire it for four switches in the upper bought (as I often do).

The capacitors in there are way bigger than my other Falcons. I'm not really up on the paper/oil thing, but I imagine that contributes to the tone switch taking up so much room up there. The additional phase and standby switches are gonna be tight.

These are great times to own Gretsch stuff. So many nice choices to work with. It was such a pain to deal with Baldwin when they had control.

Wow! How about some pics of your flock...(or is it gaggle?)

Looked up some Falcon collective nouns especially for just such an event-

Cast, Kettle, Cauldron, Eyrie, Tower, Bazaar.

There's so many to choose from that we may need a special collective noun to corral the collective nouns together.

Wow. I don’t even own 8 pairs of underwear.

There's so many to choose from that we may need a special collective noun to corral the collective nouns together.

– ade

I’ll stick to “a bunch”...maybe “a murder”, as in crows.

– NJBob

I do, but they’re not all mine...

– NJBob

I do, though they are mostly vintage.

Somebody likes their Falcons. Welcome to the GDP.

I’ll stick to “a bunch”...maybe “a murder”, as in crows.

– Bob Howard

Keep it simple -- A "flock" of Falcons.

8whitefalcons -- Welcome to the cult and congratulations on your collection of White Falcons. You MUST hold the record for owning the most of these glorious guitars. You may have more than the Gretsch warehouse.......??

– NJBob

No pics please.

Keep it simple -- A "flock" of Falcons.

– senojnad

Yup and pics please.

But is eight enough?

As a fellow over-acquirer of guitars I look forward to the visual documentation of your "flock"... and as a vintage purist venturing out into the "modern" section of the site due to sheer boredom this morning (while at work) I should probably leave it at that. But... you hurt me with the "B7" on a Falcon thing. (deep sigh)

I'm "Pro-vibrato"... but a '59 Falcon needs a B6.

I just love B7s. Stock bigsbys end up in a box. I also have b7s on most of my Les Pauls. A purist, I'm definitely not!

One of my best- sounding gretsch models on records (imo) is one of my 57 or so Nashvilles. In 72, I had Baldwin refinish the guitar. When it came back, I stuck in Gold Filtertrons, phase reverse along with the other 3 switches, Gold Grovers, Gold b7.....and......gold floating sound unit I had pulled from a 68 double cutaway Falcon. I had pre-drilled all the holes before sending it off to be refinished. From a purist aspect, I definitely killed that guitar. But it sounds sooooo good on many types of recordings. Which I squarely attribute to the combination of the body size, fsu, and use of the out of phase switch....esp on metal fingerpick playing, direct into a console. Nothing like it!

I sent a twin of that guitar down to Baldwin to refinish a year later. I wasn't going to put an fsu on that one, so I didn't drill out a circle for it. Alas, that Nashville burned up in the Baldwin fire.

My Ferris Falcon was the real frankenstein. Purists would really dislike that one!

How about a Thunderball of Falcons?

Seems apt...

Pics man pics man,we need pics man!

Although i despise B7's.

But is eight enough?

– Proteus

Isn't it?

– ade

A meta-flock?

Register Sign in to join the conversation