Modern Gretsch Guitars

Jet with Dynasonic type pickups, Players Edition or Vintage Select?

I enjoyed reading it, anyway. Let it stand for posteriority.

What Tsar said. I thought it was good.

posteriority

I'm embarrassed, and have almost deleted it twice.

Please don't do that. Some of us are learning a lot from your "logorrheic blanther". The more descriptions I read, the easier it is to get an idea of which direction to go. Just for example: you read one Amazon review - that's worth nothing. You read 50 or 100, and it's easier to sort the outliers from the trends which seem to hold true.

I feel like this is relevant to the convo...

Julian Lage on his new Collings "Jet"... note the wooden floating bridge. The pickups are Ron Ellis

Lovely tone

I saw that the other day, that feller sure can play. Strange that he'd go to Collings to get them to make him a Gretsch, I would have thought the Gretsch Custom Shop would be a better option. Would have been a good marketing coup for Gretsch too, Lage is very much hot stuff at the moment.

I saw that the other day, that feller sure can play. Strange that he'd go to Collings to get them to make him a Gretsch, I would have thought the Gretsch Custom Shop would be a better option. Would have been a good marketing coup for Gretsch too, Lage is very much hot stuff at the moment.

– Tsar Nicholas

Well he was already a Collings artist, he has a Collings sig acoustic.

And from what I have heard about trying to work with Fender on sig models, if you are particular, they are not easy... I've heard about more than one artist who had been in talks with Fender/Custom Shop, but ultimately were told by Fender "we do THAT on a Fender guitar", whatever "that" is... (my brother in law has worked at Fender for about 8 years now)

Thanks for all the feedback, opinions, descriptions. I found a used Duo Jet '53 Vintage Select.

I was recording an instrumental yesterday and did a clean solo with the neck pickup on the Duo Jet. I went to grab another guitar for a different tone and after going through 4 other guitars, I learned quickly that the Duo Jet is a tough act to follow.

The point is, I tried an Eastman semi-hollow will LollarTrons, my G5420T with TV Jones Classics, and my Jaguar American Professional. The Jag's V-Mod pickups came the closest to the T-Armonds, except it was thinner and more nasal sounding. Some of this comes down to getting a sound that fits the song, but I realized how good the Duo Jet sounded compared with those other guitars.

Yes! The Duo Jet's nasal sound has clear sinuses.

And from what I have heard about trying to work with Fender on sig models, if you are particular, they are not easy... - ruger9

Don't forget that even Chet Atkins had plenty of trouble getting Gretsch to accept his suggestions on his own signature models.

Register Sign in to join the conversation