Modern Gretsch Guitars

Jet Neck Profile Question…

Are all the modern pro-line Jet necks created equal?

Specifically, outside of Custom Shop models, are there any specific models or runs that have larger, beefier, more substantial neck profile?

I've come close to pulling the trigger on a couple, but hesitated because as my tendonitis is slowly getting worse I need to be more careful. Ideally nothing thinner than ~.85

Thanks for any help!

My 2011 DSV Duo Jet has a thicker neck than most of the other modern Pro Line Gretsch guitars I have played. Interestingly the latest guitars in the Electromatic line seem to have thicker necks than the Pro Lines.

I've had a 2015 6129, 2014 6128 DSV and 2017 Cliff Gallup. All have smaller thinner necks than any other proline I've owned.

Sounds like there's no such animal as a fat-necked pro-line Jet...

My 5420 has the thickest neck. Jets is somewhat in between my SSLVO v neck and the 5420. ‘05 WF is a bit thicker than the Jet.

I saw a Wildwood video with Joe C. and Greg Koch where he said all proline necks are the same, so a jet and a 6120 might have different necks, but all guitars in their respective series' have the same necks. This seems true based on the ones ive played

My 5420 has the thickest neck. Jets is somewhat in between my SSLVO v neck and the 5420. ‘05 WF is a bit thicker than the Jet.

– jetbunny

Yep, my 5422 has a very thick (chunky) neck. My '05 WF was close to it. My present Phoenix is a little thinner than the WF.

Had a '07/08 DuoJet, and the neck was the thinnest of any Gretsch that I've owned, including a -58 Gent.

Still my personal favorite are the 6120 LTV necks with the "V" profile. Love the feel of those.

JD, how's the neck of the Phoenix? Been gassing for it since time immemorial. I hope it's a V like my SSLVO.

Hey jb, wish that is was a "V", but it's not. That said, I do like it. It's a JT14, and the neck is a little thinner than my '05 WF was.

Still thicker than most other Gretsches, so it feels very good to me. I think that the 9.5" radius plays into this too. I may be all wet, but that radius and neck thickness feel good together. I really like this guitar.

The Phoenix and my 6120-59QM are my two favorite modern Gretsches. They both have all the right specs, with one a long scale and one a short scale.

Hope that this helps a little.

– jetbunny

Maybe I should get my doctor to give me a prescription for a White Falcon? I mean, then I'd have to get one...doctor's orders...right?

I tried the GH sig and it was chunkier than a regular Duo Jet; more like a Pro Jet. Some later Jets have U profile that feels more beefy. Mine has that with a 9" radius but it's an FSR.

I bought a '53 Vintage Select Scripty partly on the idea that it has a decent chunk of wood. It delivers, not anything like a 1-inch Tele-bat, but a good amount of shoulder down at the first fret (0.84") to 0.92" by the 9th fret. It's just shy of an inch by the 12th.

I bought a '53 Vintage Select Scripty partly on the idea that it has a decent chunk of wood. It delivers, not anything like a 1-inch Tele-bat, but a good amount of shoulder down at the first fret (0.84") to 0.92" by the 9th fret. It's just shy of an inch by the 12th.

– BorderRadio

This is pretty much the same size as my 2011 DSV Duo Jet. It feels similar to a Gibson 50's profile that I had on a Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute.

I love the profile on my 53 VS. I forgot who it was, but one guy posted here that the profile on his 53 VS wasnt too thick or thin, it was just "there;" I agree with that. There must be some variance, because BorderRadio said his has some shoulder down low, whereas mine feels like a nice medium C all the way, and hes right that it gets thicker the higher up you go, it's great!

This is pretty much the same size as my 2011 DSV Duo Jet. It feels similar to a Gibson 50's profile that I had on a Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute.

– BuddyHollywood

Do you have more pics of your DSV? Ive seen a few and I wanna see more! Its a beautiful guitar, I was lusting after that exact model in 2011 but didn't have the means at the time, when the 53 came out I knew I had to have one, because it reminded me of the 2011 DSV

JD, how's the neck of the Phoenix? Been gassing for it since time immemorial. I hope it's a V like my SSLVO.

– jetbunny

i sold my phoenix because the neck is an unusual D? shape compared to a lazy V, hard to do my thumb over technique plus I just cant handle the 25.5 scale on a gretsch. The guitar feels huge, yet I play a 48' Kay Aristocrat which has a baseball bat neck and 18" lower bout and 4" thick.. its comfortable.

Thanks JD and Tavo for ending my gas. As a lazy V fanboy, I’ll pass on the Phoenix UNLess they do it in a V spec.

My 6128 Cliff Gallup for sale has a .830 1st fret depth and .940 at 12th fret. V shaped more than D I guess.

Do you have more pics of your DSV? Ive seen a few and I wanna see more! Its a beautiful guitar, I was lusting after that exact model in 2011 but didn't have the means at the time, when the 53 came out I knew I had to have one, because it reminded me of the 2011 DSV

– Chmason85

Here is a picture the day it arrived from StreetSounds on February 9, 2012.

Here it is now with an aluminum Tru-Arc Serpentune bridge. I flipped the pickups so the poles face inside now. It helped beef up the bridge and clear up the neck just enough to balance out the pickups. I recorded a bunch of my songs recently and this DSV Duo Jet is the only guitar that made it on to every song.

It was my Holy Grail guitar when I bought it.

So nice, does the fixed arm get in the way for you? I want to get one but not sure if it will be too in the way

So nice, does the fixed arm get in the way for you? I want to get one but not sure if it will be too in the way

– Chmason85

On the Cliff it's got a shorter spring so it doesn't stick up too high.

Thanks JD and Tavo for ending my gas. As a lazy V fanboy, I’ll pass on the Phoenix UNLess they do it in a V spec.

– jetbunny

You're welcome jetbunny. Sorry to aid in crushing your gas for a Phoenix. I still do love the Phoenix, but like Tavo stated, it does feel like a huge guitar.

For several years now, I have a very hard time getting excited about any guitar if it doesn't have that "V" neck. Like you, I'm a fanboy of it, and it probably has saved me a lot of money by not buying a few instruments that don't have this neck profile.

– Chmason85

It came with a swivel arm too but it broke so I put the fixed arm back on. I have gotten used to it and have written a few riffs utilizing it. When I try to play the same riffs on my Jazzmaster or Strat they aren't as easy to execute. At first I wasn't sure but I've grown to like it and even rely on its sturdiness now.

It came with a swivel arm too but it broke so I put the fixed arm back on. I have gotten used to it and have written a few riffs utilizing it. When I try to play the same riffs on my Jazzmaster or Strat they aren't as easy to execute. At first I wasn't sure but I've grown to like it and even rely on its sturdiness now.

– BuddyHollywood

I'm guessing it may get in the way for punk playing, or could it even be workable for that? I love the simplicity and the looks of them!

Register Sign in to join the conversation