Modern Gretsch Guitars

Japanese Knotty Pine Roundup Question

Hey everyone! New to the forum! A local craigslister has for sale a Japanese made “1 of 75” Knotty Pine Roundup. Like all things Gretsch it’s a beaut. He says to text or call for a price. Does anyone know what a fair price is on these?

Thanks!

I've seen them between 2.5 and 3k

Oooh boy. Ok. Thanks for the reply. I have some thinking to do.

I agree with crowbone. If you can find one for under 3K, you'd better jump on it. Over that price, they still sell, but there's so few around (there were indeed only 75 production units built, plus a small handful of factory prototypes) that you rarely see them for sale at all. The original MSRP for this model was $5000, which makes the original street price in 2008 somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500-4000. There was someone here about 2 years ago looking for one, and after 6 months of watching ebay and Reverb he finally had to settle for a 6121 instead.

Mine happens to be one of the factory prototypes (this can be determined by the serial number):

I agree with crowbone. If you can find one for under 3K, you'd better jump on it. Over that price, they still sell, but there's so few around (there were indeed only 75 production units built, plus a small handful of factory prototypes) that you rarely see them for sale at all. The original MSRP for this model was $5000, which makes the original street price in 2008 somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500-4000. There was someone here about 2 years ago looking for one, and after 6 months of watching ebay and Reverb he finally had to settle for a 6121 instead.

Mine happens to be one of the factory prototypes (this can be determined by the serial number):

– Tartan Phantom

That is the best looking guitar I’ve ever seen.

Jets are never cheap. But they are always worth every penny, especially your first.

That’s a great looking guitar Rob. How’d you get the prototype?

That’s a great looking guitar Rob. How’d you get the prototype?

Here's a hint....

Thanks for the back story! Lovely guitar!

TP didn't include the pictures of them prying it out of my hands, crying hysterically.

I'm sure there's video, I'll have to check.

Beauties? That's a stretch. But the guitars sure look nice.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I’ll let you know if I’m successful on my quest!

The seller wouldn’t budge from $3100 and I can’t go that high. My quest continues. Thank you for the input everyone and the AWESOME pictures and story for your prototype Tartan Phantom!

Register Sign in to join the conversation