Modern Gretsch Guitars

It’s Been a While - Last Ditch Gretsch Attempt For Me - Situation U…

And here she is at work, shortly before I left for the day (the guitar was delivered to my workplace this morning).

Unfortunately I cannot play my Tenny, until it has the obligatory refret job, with Jescar EVO Gold (you have to love having both a nickel, and a stainless steel allergy ). I have a question, did the Power Tenny come with a nickel plated bridge? The bridge on mine looks like dull and cruddy nickel. If so, I'm going to have to replace it with a chrome plated bridge.

– EllenGtrGrl

Perhaps our friend Proteus has a solution in mind...?

And here she is at work, shortly before I left for the day (the guitar was delivered to my workplace this morning).

Unfortunately I cannot play my Tenny, until it has the obligatory refret job, with Jescar EVO Gold (you have to love having both a nickel, and a stainless steel allergy ). I have a question, did the Power Tenny come with a nickel plated bridge? The bridge on mine looks like dull and cruddy nickel. If so, I'm going to have to replace it with a chrome plated bridge.

– EllenGtrGrl

Mine did - The Tru-Arc aluminum was a great upgrade. Welcome to the Power Tenny club!

Truly I am compelled to say that I love what an aluminum Twu-Ahc does to relieve the slight propensity toward honk PowerTrons can have. Got aluminum on both my PowerTron guitars, the quite-PowerTenny-like Jag Tan Anniversary (16”, ML bracing steada full treskles) and the Billy Bo.

Truly I am compelled to say that I love what an aluminum Twu-Ahc does to relieve the slight propensity toward honk PowerTrons can have. Got aluminum on both my PowerTron guitars, the quite-PowerTenny-like Jag Tan Anniversary (16”, ML bracing steada full treskles) and the Billy Bo.

– Proteus

Hmmmmm, I'm intrigued!!!!

And yes, it's been my experience too, that PowerTrons can get honky sounding if the amp isn't set right.

What about the neck profile? Is it what you hoped for?

Hmmmmm, I'm intrigued!

Why, just message me and we can discuss it.

On my 2006 Power Tenny both the stock bridge and the Sperzel locking tuners are nickel plated. I changed out the stock Gotoh TOM style bridge for a Tru Arc Rock Steady 12" in stainless (obviously stainless would not be a good choice for you, Ellen). I would highly recommend a Tru Arc as it really brought out the tonal qualities of the guitar (more sustain/note definition) and took playability off the charts (Bigsby action was smoother and stayed in tune better) and I was able to get an even better straight neck, comfortably low action w/o string buzz or rattle. Fortunately, you can easily change out the nickel Sperzels for regular chrome. They even make replacement knobs for Sperzels in different metals and even non-metal (wood and plastic). Looking forward to your impressions of the guitar once you get safely sorted.

What about the neck profile? Is it what you hoped for?

– atomicwash

I was finally able to check out the neck a short time ago (I got home very late yesterday, and had to go to work this morning). I had to put a nitrile glove on my left hand (due to the nickel strings) to do so. The neck has a pleasing amount of heft to it thickness-wise, which combined with its wider than average width (at 1.72" width at the nut, it's as wide as the neck my old Gibson J-15 acoustic had [a great guitar, that let me down, due its overlty thin profile neck]), is oh so comfy for my fretting hand. It's looking good!

On my 2006 Power Tenny both the stock bridge and the Sperzel locking tuners are nickel plated. I changed out the stock Gotoh TOM style bridge for a Tru Arc Rock Steady 12" in stainless (obviously stainless would not be a good choice for you, Ellen). I would highly recommend a Tru Arc as it really brought out the tonal qualities of the guitar (more sustain/note definition) and took playability off the charts (Bigsby action was smoother and stayed in tune better) and I was able to get an even better straight neck, comfortably low action w/o string buzz or rattle. Fortunately, you can easily change out the nickel Sperzels for regular chrome. They even make replacement knobs for Sperzels in different metals and even non-metal (wood and plastic). Looking forward to your impressions of the guitar once you get safely sorted.

– Gretschadelphia

Yeah, I'm probably going to go the Tru-Arc route. As for the Sperzels - I'm thinking of leaving them on, and just replacing the buttons, like I did with the nickel plated Grovers I had on my old Heritage H535.

Congrats on the fine choice Ellen — I love the neck on my Power Tenny about as much as anyone can love a guitar neck ... great that you snagged one they are somewhat rare!

From what I've read of your posts over the years about your taste and playing style, I tihnk you're going to love the PowerTron combination with the trestle bracing. Crunch and churn for days, and feedback becomes your slave not your master.

Oh, and like Gretschadelphia, I swapped the bridge to a 12" TruArc (stainless for me). Highly recommend that upgrade in whatever metal works for your allergy situation... I also have a jones for the '59 / '60 Tennys, so I added a Paul Setzer black signpost guard to mine.

Never heard one through a Marshall (I tihnk you play one?) but I bet you that's one helluva combination.

Wwelcome to the PT Club!

Thanks Redrocker! I think I'll go the aluminum Tru-Arc route. My amp's a Blackstar (son of Marshall - Blackstar was started by former Marshall employees). I played a Power Tenny about 12 years ago through a Marshall, and if you carefully set the midrange, it seriously kicked some sonic butt!! Mainsoda (who used to be active on the The Gretsch Pages) was a big fan of PowerTrons, and used to load his Gretsches with them. I don't know what Jeff's up to nowadays, but I saw him play 9 or 10 years ago, with Crumpler (the band he was in at the time). He was running through a Mesa Boogie setup, with his Gretsches, that seriously rocked hard!

Here's a vid that Crumpler recorded. You might remember the guitar in the vid - at the time, Jeff was showcasing it here on the GDP. It's a 5120 that he modded by putting PowerTrons in it, and covering its top with silver sparkle drum cover material. I remember Jeff showing it to me, and Fred Gretsch III at Cream City Music's Gretsch days (I have a photo of him with the guitar at Cream City Music during that Gretsch Days event).

I was finally able to check out the neck a short time ago (I got home very late yesterday, and had to go to work this morning). I had to put a nitrile glove on my left hand (due to the nickel strings) to do so. The neck has a pleasing amount of heft to it thickness-wise, which combined with its wider than average width (at 1.72" width at the nut, it's as wide as the neck my old Gibson J-15 acoustic had [a great guitar, that let me down, due its overlty thin profile neck]), is oh so comfy for my fretting hand. It's looking good!

– EllenGtrGrl

Based on this neck review, I am officially shopping for a Power Tenny. The slender V on my SSLVO drives me crazy every time I pick it up.

Why can’t they release ONE 16” model with an R8 neck? I would be first in line.

Register Sign in to join the conversation