Modern Gretsch Guitars

Is there a string winder that fits on Imperials?

Mine work, sorta, but I'm guessing there are larger ones that would fit the imperials.

Thanks!

Yeah, look for a Bass version.

I had one, and could not find it the last time I re-strung my RC Allen (big Imperial style keyed Grovers). It had two little notches in each end, that allowed it to work on the large keys. You could probably take a regular winder and just notch the ends to work. Get one of those cheap plastic ones in the bin on the counter at your local music store. Come to think of it, I'm gonna do that too!

My good sir, surely your manservant is up to the task, after he tunes the grand piano.

My good sir, surely your manservant is up to the task, after he tunes the grand piano.

– lx

Seriously, they're not THAT expensive used if you shop right.

One of my string winders has little slits where the ends of the plastic where the imperial keys fit right in. It's perfect!

Buy the cheap plastic winders, I guess they all are, and cut them up as required to fit.

My winders have a cutout on one side for pulling acoustic string pins. Dremmel a similar cutout on the other side. The single cutout will fit kidney beans on my Imperials.
Does it bother you that the thick string post on the Imperials screws up the gear ratio and makes them touchy?

Register Sign in to join the conversation