Modern Gretsch Guitars

Is a G6228 “Players’ Edition” Jet too different?

From my experience I think a new Bigsby needs to happen, maybe a B7.1 that offers a higher exit point. Keep in mind the mod Mr. Zoom did on his SilverJet. It doesn’t have to me much different maybe just a thinner down bar.

– Curt Wilson

Yep. The original B7 was developed for the first generation "no neck angle!" Les Pauls, even have the same mounting pattern on the hinge as that funny trapeze tail that strings under the bar. So it doesn't really work right for a regular TOM bridge Les Paul.

The funny thing is that Bigsby/Gibson already did this at least once, the molds are possibly still in existance. The late 60's/early 70's Les Paul personals came with a B7 variant that works better for a Les Paul.

I've got one in Cadillac Green. Here's my take -

I've been a Les Paul player for roughly 20 yrs. I currently own a '08 Custom Shop '59 RI Standard and a '06 Custom Shop '57 RI Junior. Both GREAT guitars. The Jet BT isn't anything like my LP's...

First of all, it's nearly completely hollow, which makes it more similar to a ES-335 to my ears. I once had a CS-336 and the Jet BT's overall tone is similar to that.

Secondly, I actually use the tone/volume controls on the BT. The guitar is WAY brighter in tone than my LPs.. but not excessive.. just right, almost like taking a thick blanket off your amp. I actually find that I keep the tone control on about 5 most of the time, but dependent on the song I might bring it up to 8-10 or go down to 0. The master volume I generally keep at around 8, so if I need a little more gas, it's there. Much, much more use-able than Gibson tone crontrols.

The pickups are utter perfection.. When playing clean, they're full of harmonics and beautiful tones. When playing dirty, they will melt your face off with great overdrive and thickness. They don't push my amp quite like my Gibson's, but pretty close. The key difference is the notes have much more clarity.

I liked the V stopbar... but, something in the back of my head was wondering what a Bigsby would be like on this guitar.. so I installed a B3 with a Towner system. The Bigsby is staying, at least for now... and looks killer!

If I had to choose 1 guitar to bring to a gig, I'd have to say the BT. The multiple tones I can get out of it coupled with its light weight and great features make it a no brainer. I want another one!!!! Or, 3!!

Looks like a beauty, but I’m not a fan of the “V” tailpiece.
To me it just doesn’t look like it belongs there. I’m guessing a more traditional stop tailpiece could be swapped for it.

I'm quite surprised that some of you guys don't like the V tailpiece. It makes perfect sense to me after seeing the Cadillac tailpiece.

Iloveguitars79 is spot on about the pickups. They can do a bit of Filter'tron but chunk it up almost as well as a PAF too - if anything the extra edge to the tone can make them sound even more aggressive. And the controls are easily the most useful I have found on any guitar. The pickups have a beautiful chimey complexity which sounds incredible clean with some reverb - ambient players would love them.

I am spoilt in having a very, very good Les Paul with quite bright stock HBs, so it's as bright as the Jet. But they are not as crisp and complex sounding - more ROCK and possibly not as versatile. The Les Paul is smoother, more compressed and bluesy. In comparison the Jet is spankier but still with excellent sustain. I find myself playing quite differently on each guitar. The Jet covers a lot of styles - would be perfect for a player looking for lots of tones from one guitar.

I like the new tailpiece. It's different and that is one thing Gretsch does well.

I love this guitar. I have bought in cadillac green and couldnt be happier, except that I wanted to add the bigsby and have just bought a towner bar.

Iloveguitars79, I see that you have installed the bigsby with the towner bar too. I have realized that the cuffs of the towner bar do not fit with the stock studs. Where did you get yours? Do you know if they are metric or imperial?

I added a Bigsby with a tension bar as well. It’s excellent.

This one also has Setzer Sigs, but I’m thinking of swapping them for a Powertron/Powertron Plus setup.

I love this guitar. I have bought in cadillac green and couldnt be happier, except that I wanted to add the bigsby and have just bought a towner bar.

Iloveguitars79, I see that you have installed the bigsby with the towner bar too. I have realized that the cuffs of the towner bar do not fit with the stock studs. Where did you get yours? Do you know if they are metric or imperial?

– Marcos

The metric studs Towner sells fit mine. Also the hinge plate adapter helped with the tailpiece/strap lock.

Register Sign in to join the conversation