Modern Gretsch Guitars

Interesting Custom Shop Choice - 1958 6120 Tenor

I guess somebody is a fan of that '58 6120 tenor formerly owned by Elvis Costello.

I like electric tenors, I always associate them with Neko Case, but whenever I hear a demo of one I remember that they aren't unique enough for me to justify owning one.

Those 4-string tenor 6120's are super cool... but we all know that they aren't REALLY a Chet Atkins 6120 without a Bigsby vibrato. Coincidentally I've recently acquired an authentic '58/59 Bigsby B6... made for a 4-string guitar.

Well there ain' nothin' wrong with some fat tenor action
Whatever it takes to get satisfaction
But brother don't come round here harshin' my mellow
I never did get sneerin' Elvis Costello

I like electric tenors, I always associate them with Neko Case, but whenever I hear a demo of one I remember that they aren't unique enough for me to justify owning one.

– Mark Nason

She's awesome!

You're a good boy Afire!! I always did like Elvis Costello's live versions of the "The Delivery Man." He makes his 6120 Tenor just plain howl!! Tenors are cool, and I'd love to have one for a musical change of pace, but every time I've picked up tenor guitars, the necks have been off-putting to me - they feel like I'm trying to play a broomstick.

That's cool! Not sure how a conversation about tenors gets to Costello and Case with no Tiny Grimes, but I am old.

I was looking for a pic of Neko and her tenor Jet when I ran across a pic of a double-cut Jet Firebird.

– lx

Well, that there is quite a specimen. With the chrome hardware and no cavity for a Burns vibrato, it must be an elusive '61. One of one, no doubt.

That’s a ‘61 tenor 6131 for sure! I documented it several years back. It’s a real unicorn!

Register Sign in to join the conversation