Modern Gretsch Guitars

Installed the new Ray Butts Full-Fidelity Filtertron last night…

the biggest improvement on bringing string separation and clarity to the low wound E-A-D would be the Setzer Sigs.. vastly improved in my opinion at least from the perspective of the tonepost 6120 body. --Tavo

Completely agree man and this was my assessment when we talked earlier.The Setz Sigs I just put in mine put it in another realm...the neck pup is the shitz.However I'd love to hear these Butts in my post body also...maybe soon but it'll be tough to pry the Setzers out. :)

the biggest improvement on bringing string separation and clarity to the low wound E-A-D would be the Setzer Sigs.. vastly improved in my opinion at least from the perspective of the tonepost 6120 body. I just installed the Buttz into my trestled 6120SSU-BK and I like them so much better than the Setzer Sigs that were in there. Yes I've lost the rock n rock chomp of the bridge and yes the balance of neck to bridge is back to that drop in the output on the low E and A, due in part to the strings and poles not matching up. Although there is a vintage vibe fullness to the instrument, like the body mass has been up'd in the mix and there is less of klang, twang n bang.. suave city and dare I say some chime in these for rhythm playing, as well at that early 50s bonk on the low strings is featured. I think I may go Thomastik 12g nickel flats w an unwound G..on this one. right now its 11g EHX rounds, my favorite gretsch strings overall.

I love these butts man, I really do.. honeymoon aint over yet though.

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

Less klang and twang?! Darn I was hoping the new butts would bring more. I know we use strange words to describe seemingly subjective sounds but the 'klang' and 'kerrang' to me is that great gretsch sound. Is the 50’s bonk you mention a tighter low end?

Maybe Setzers are a better fit for me than the Butts. I put a Setzer bridge (which I de-waxed) in my sslvo and did feel like there was a noticeably clearer, tighter low end but I switched back to the stock Classic out of curiosity and felt like the Setz was maybe not as much of an improvement as I initially thought. If I pick the low strings really close to my Compton aluminum bridge I seem to be able to get as much tight low end as the Setzer. I guess I’ll have to swap them a few more times before I make up my mind. And I have yet to try a Setzer neck- I really love the Classic neck for it’s musical, natural compression but the low end is annoyingly woofy when digging in. Another thing I was excited about with the Butts was the PAF covers. Prior to the Butts being announced I emailed TV Jones and asked if they’d put some PAF (or even Classic) covers on a Setzer Sig pickup for me if I ordered direct and they (kindly) said they would not.

Thanks for your review Tavo! All the info and reviews you and other members share is much appreciated.

I'm happy with the tone of the TV Classic and Classic Pus in my 6120 LTV but I've ordered a set of the new Ray Butts pickups based mainly on Don Butler who's ears I respect.

– richard douglas

Richard; Thanks! I hope I didn't disappoint you? I still love these Ful-Fidelity Butts pickups! I've done a few gigs with them..

the biggest improvement on bringing string separation and clarity to the low wound E-A-D would be the Setzer Sigs.. vastly improved in my opinion at least from the perspective of the tonepost 6120 body. --Tavo

Completely agree man and this was my assessment when we talked earlier.The Setz Sigs I just put in mine put it in another realm...the neck pup is the shitz.However I'd love to hear these Butts in my post body also...maybe soon but it'll be tough to pry the Setzers out. :)

– Michael Williams

The Setzers are the greatest pickups to hit the streets for Gretsch for exactly what you quoted me on, but I think too many guys think their modern Gretsch guitars sound like original 50s gretsch guitars. Look at the specs on the new Setzers, they are refined ultimate filtertrons. These ray butts pickups are recreations of the originals, the damn pole screws dont line up with the strings on the bridge, they arent supposed to because they are LIKE THE FIRST ONES right? Am I right?

ya.. The latest modern recreations of filtertrons (Setzer Sigs or even say Duotrons), not only line up and match the string spacing at the bridge, the body of the pickup is raised for better balance. The individual bobbins within each pickup are also wound differently to give an ultimate response from the guitar. It perfection FOR YOUR MODERN GRETSCH guitar to have the best possible sound after yrs of refining an already great product. Got that Great Gretsch sound though? OF COURSE!

..but if you want the vintage vintage absolutely dedicated recreation of the first ones Ray made, these Butts hit their mark. Makes me want to yank off the sperzel locking tuners on my SSU and put some old waverly tuners on it, I think I'll do it.. De-modernize my 2016 G6120SSU-BK. I'm already on my way w the Ray Butts Tvjones.

My 2008 6136T-LTV has a 1963 Gretsch-Brooklyn wiring harness, early "V" cutout Bigsby, 50's Grover Imperials. The bridge however, is a new machined Bell Brass ABR-1 type from ABM in Germany. It sounds almost exactly the same as the brass Compton I had on it. I do have a set of early Sixties "domed" Gibson Thumbwheels so when I use the Bigsby it stays in-tune, so the Ray Butts FilterTron's are just the crowning touch in getting that early "FilterTron-era" Gretsch tone/sound! People forget that until basically the late 80's, nobody made a "bridge" version or "neck" version pickup. It was a pickup and they were pretty much all the same. I think Gibson started the wider pole spacing in the late 80's. I had a62 SG Std. I bought in 1988 that had the wider spacing. All the Gretsch stuff was the same until Tom Jones(TV) started with the wider spacing for bridge pickups

My 2008 6136T-LTV has a 1963 Gretsch-Brooklyn wiring harness

Seriously?

My 2008 6136T-LTV has a 1963 Gretsch-Brooklyn wiring harness, early "V" cutout Bigsby, 50's Grover Imperials. The bridge however, is a new machined Bell Brass ABR-1 type from ABM in Germany. It sounds almost exactly the same as the brass Compton I had on it. I do have a set of early Sixties "domed" Gibson Thumbwheels so when I use the Bigsby it stays in-tune, so the Ray Butts FilterTron's are just the crowning touch in getting that early "FilterTron-era" Gretsch tone/sound! People forget that until basically the late 80's, nobody made a "bridge" version or "neck" version pickup. It was a pickup and they were pretty much all the same. I think Gibson started the wider pole spacing in the late 80's. I had a62 SG Std. I bought in 1988 that had the wider spacing. All the Gretsch stuff was the same until Tom Jones(TV) started with the wider spacing for bridge pickups

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

I get your point, but there have been different spaced pickups out there since the 50's. Guild's Franz pickups used to have different pole spacing for neck and bridge pickups even though they later changed to same spacing for both, and Kay's "Gold Kay" pickups, now usually referred to as "Kleenex Box" or "Kessel" pickups have a narrower spaced neck pickup. They're not different resistance readings for neck and bridge btw, but the pole spacing is different.

My 2008 6136T-LTV has a 1963 Gretsch-Brooklyn wiring harness

Seriously?

– Otter

I think its badass! :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation