Modern Gretsch Guitars

Installed the new Ray Butts Full-Fidelity Filtertron last night…

This bit of news crossing the wires to perhaps consider. from Syncho: "When Gibson came out with their Country Gent, back in the '90s, I looked into buying one and, after playing a couple of examples, I realized that I couldn't get the sound I was looking for from it. Somewhere, in my online journeys, I recall hearing that Chet had Butts pickups, under Gibson-Bucker covers, on his Gibson Gent, although he didn't advertise the fact.

I filed that factoid under "interesting" and didn't give it much thought, until today, when I chanced to see a YouTube video of Paul Yandell playing After You've Gone. The video was shot tight and it was obvious that something about his pickups was not as the factory intended. I froze the frame and, sure 'nuff, the pickups had two rows of screws, just like a Ray Butts made the first Filtertron, way back in '54.

Don't get me wrong, there are some dandy sounding guitars with full sized humbuckers. My Tele is so equipped and it sounds great. For the Chet sound, however, I find that a mini humbucker, such as the Filtertron is a great asset. FWIW, the mini humbuckers on Guilds are virtually identical, in size, to Filtertrons and add a slightly different seasoning to the sound. Of the six arch tops in my collection, five have smaller humbuckers, while the sixth has a floating single coil.

Anyhow, while this doesn't prove conclusively that Chet had disguised Filtertrons on his Gibson, it does lead a bit of credence to the rumor. I'm pretty certain that Yandell used pickups made by Ray Butts' own hand. All Fitlertrons are, essentially, a Ray Butts pickup and Butts personally wound all Filterons in the early years."

Richard Hudson.. what do you think about all this?

I used my WF last night at a little pub gig. These new Ray Butts pickups sound amazing! I pluged my WF into my `61 brown Fender Deluxe. I did go thru an old Maestro Boomerang, RYRA Klone, Carl Martin "Headroom" reverb(springs!) and a Fulltone 2B. But, overall I'm just incredibly Thrilled with the sound!

That video makes me want an armrest on my 6120!

That video makes me want an armrest on my 6120!

– Otter

me too. lets bug Paul Setzer! :)

Should it match the pickguard or the fretboard?

Should it match the pickguard or the fretboard?

– Otter

Most definitely the pickguard, imo.

I think the two armrests I have match the bridge wood...

me too. lets bug Paul Setzer! :)

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

I can make em. We just need to come up with a design.

How about a 1/4" tube holder to sip on my drink hooked onto the Bigsby.. would fit right in that cup holder..

Just got off the phone with Sean at TVJones, I ordered a set of the new PAF's for my 1990 Jet, the stock ceramic ones that came with it just don't suit me, I am excited about these new ones. I've spent time and money in the last six months trying to get an original set of PAF's to use....I have one 58 original but they want 500 bucks for a second one, and Hey, if Tom is making new ones, I'm ALL in.

Got my Buttz!!!

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

It's been five days since you took delivery Tavo... when is your review coming? I'm incredibly eager to hear your thoughts.

Yes..I'm very curious to see how these pickups are fairing out...what I've been hearing on clips is a very bright pickup and articulate ..Actually not as much thud or warmth that I would like but good nevertheless...actually if I just compared them with my classics I would prefer the Butts bridge but I think I'd keep my TV classic neck.

It's been five days since you took delivery Tavo... when is your review coming? I'm incredibly eager to hear your thoughts.

– YourBlueRoom

they've been sitting on my bench since I mentioned them.. I havent slept in a week, backed up the arse w pedal builds.

they've been sitting on my bench since I mentioned them.. I havent slept in a week, backed up the arse w pedal builds.

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

Now that's dedication!

I'm happy with the tone of the TV Classic and Classic Pus in my 6120 LTV but I've ordered a set of the new Ray Butts pickups based mainly on Don Butler who's ears I respect.

I had HS Filters. Never could get the articulate but warm and full response I wanted from the bottom strings, despite all the tweaking. Considered Classics and wound up with TArmonds that I love. Some say you can't get that kind of response from any humbucker, though Filters come the closest. Jason Lollar designed a pickup for Senn that is a humbucker but (both in claims and clips) seems to behave a LOT like a single coil.

My question here is, between Setzer Sigs and Full Fidelities, which neck pickup gets the more articulate and full response from the bass side of things?

Scotty Moore also replaced the pickups in his Gibson Country Gent with Ray Butts pickups. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think they were originally called the Country I and Country II, but I may be wrong.

It is my understanding that TV Jones has all the info on these larger humbucking size pickups from the Butts' family. I'm not unhappy with the stock pickups in my Gibson CG, but I think I would be happier if TV Jones created some of these from the original recipe and they found their way into my guitar.

Didn't Paul Yandell do the same to his Gibson Country Gent? Meaning swap to Ray Butts pickups?

I think Windsordave has these in his Super Chet too?

Strummerson,

Thanks for the comment. I went ahead and deleted my post. I believed that various tone lore is possibly an important part of what some enjoy about guitar sounds, so my comment does not help this to happen.

Thanks.

I had HS Filters. Never could get the articulate but warm and full response I wanted from the bottom strings, despite all the tweaking. Considered Classics and wound up with TArmonds that I love. Some say you can't get that kind of response from any humbucker, though Filters come the closest. Jason Lollar designed a pickup for Senn that is a humbucker but (both in claims and clips) seems to behave a LOT like a single coil.

My question here is, between Setzer Sigs and Full Fidelities, which neck pickup gets the more articulate and full response from the bass side of things?

– Strummerson

the biggest improvement on bringing string separation and clarity to the low wound E-A-D would be the Setzer Sigs.. vastly improved in my opinion at least from the perspective of the tonepost 6120 body. I just installed the Buttz into my trestled 6120SSU-BK and I like them so much better than the Setzer Sigs that were in there. Yes I've lost the rock n rock chomp of the bridge and yes the balance of neck to bridge is back to that drop in the output on the low E and A, due in part to the strings and poles not matching up. Although there is a vintage vibe fullness to the instrument, like the body mass has been up'd in the mix and there is less of klang, twang n bang.. suave city and dare I say some chime in these for rhythm playing, as well at that early 50s bonk on the low strings is featured. I think I may go Thomastik 12g nickel flats w an unwound G..on this one. right now its 11g EHX rounds, my favorite gretsch strings overall.

I love these butts man, I really do.. honeymoon aint over yet though.

I just read an old Ray Butts interview (http://www.scottymoore.net/...) and I had the name of the full-size humbucking pickups wrong...they all use the "sonic" in them: JazzSonic, NovaSonic (a la' Chet style of picking), Plectrasonic, and Mellosonic.

Windsordave, Do you have any sound samples of your SC with the Butts pickups?

Strummerson,

Thanks for the comment. I went ahead and deleted my post. I believed that various tone lore is possibly an important part of what some enjoy about guitar sounds, so my comment does not help this to happen.

Thanks.

– chrisp2

You are a gent. I'm deleting my comment as well. Thanks.

Register Sign in to join the conversation