Modern Gretsch Guitars

In Search Of…

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a Gretsch hollowbody finished in nitro with Dynas. I don't think I want a 55 style with the Western motif, so the 6120-1955 is out. Can anyone steer me toward other similar models? Thanks very much!

Alan

Edit: I've been pointed toward the Duane Eddy sig. I'll definitely check that one out. If there are any others, let me know! Thanks!

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a Gretsch hollowbody finished in nitro with Dynas. I don't think I want a 55 style with the Western motif, so the 6120-1955 is out. Can anyone steer me toward other similar models? Thanks very much!

Alan

Edit: I've been pointed toward the Duane Eddy sig. I'll definitely check that one out. If there are any others, let me know! Thanks!

– 86runner

The DE model would really be hard to beat.

Beautiful instrument, with all the specs that you're looking for and more.

Best of luck on your quest.

how about a country club

Your desired combination of "Gretsch hollowbody finished in nitro with Dynas" really limits your choices as far as I can tell. The Vintage Select Country Club has a nitro finish BUT has Filtertrons as does the VS 6120-'59.

I think your only options are the 6120-DE (Duane Eddy) and the VS 6120-'55.

FWIW -- I'd always had the same view of the '55's western motif. In fact I just plain did not like it. (Ironically, Chet Atkins didn't like it either). However, I ended up buying one last fall because I wanted the Dynas and some other features. The '55 is equipped with TV Jones Dynas which IMO are a big improvement over stock Dynas. I finally rationalized that I was buying it to PLAY it -- not to gaze at it. HOWEVER.... when the guitar arrived I was stunned! It is BEAUTIFUL! Even my wife thinks it's gorgeous. "Live & in person" the western stuff does not jump out like it does in pictures.

The "bad news" -- when I ordered mine (Oct., 2018) Gretsch had none in stock and the best guess was that there would be none until "late spring, '19". I "found" (via web) mine at Wildwood in CO. But it was their last one. There may be others .... looks like Musician's Friend has one....

https://www.musiciansfriend... 6120

The Duane Eddy model meets your specs. It had been available in black or white as well as "Desert Sunrise" (orange). However it appears that black and white versions are no longer in the lineup (per the new 2019 catalog and the Gretsch website). This model has stock Gretsch Dynas. You could upgrade to TV Jones or Seymour Duncan Dynas later on. Not a major upgrade.

If ya don't mind the bling the 55 Vintage Select Falcon has nitro and TV Jones T Amonds.

Your desired combination of "Gretsch hollowbody finished in nitro with Dynas" really limits your choices as far as I can tell. The Vintage Select Country Club has a nitro finish BUT has Filtertrons as does the VS 6120-'59.

I think your only options are the 6120-DE (Duane Eddy) and the VS 6120-'55.

FWIW -- I'd always had the same view of the '55's western motif. In fact I just plain did not like it. (Ironically, Chet Atkins didn't like it either). However, I ended up buying one last fall because I wanted the Dynas and some other features. The '55 is equipped with TV Jones Dynas which IMO are a big improvement over stock Dynas. I finally rationalized that I was buying it to PLAY it -- not to gaze at it. HOWEVER.... when the guitar arrived I was stunned! It is BEAUTIFUL! Even my wife thinks it's gorgeous. "Live & in person" the western stuff does not jump out like it does in pictures.

The "bad news" -- when I ordered mine (Oct., 2018) Gretsch had none in stock and the best guess was that there would be none until "late spring, '19". I "found" (via web) mine at Wildwood in CO. But it was their last one. There may be others .... looks like Musician's Friend has one....

https://www.musiciansfriend... 6120

The Duane Eddy model meets your specs. It had been available in black or white as well as "Desert Sunrise" (orange). However it appears that black and white versions are no longer in the lineup (per the new 2019 catalog and the Gretsch website). This model has stock Gretsch Dynas. You could upgrade to TV Jones or Seymour Duncan Dynas later on. Not a major upgrade.

– senojnad

Well, I found a great deal on a 2016 6120-55GE and pulled the trigger. The Duane Eddy has a neck that is WAY too thin for me. I didn't originally want the Western motif on this one because I already have a 6121-1955 with leather and all the Western appointments. Ah well, it's too cool and was way too good a deal to pass up. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Oh, anybody know what bracing these have? Mine should be here later this week. Supposedly they're the precursor to the Vintage Select, and spec'd exactly the same? Mine is a January '16 build and the Vintage Selects came out in 2016 as well.

GE vs VS was mainly a name change to avoid conflicts with General Electric co as I recall.

Not sure about the bracing. Does the GE version have TV Jones pickups?

Actually, the "Golden Era" name had already been employed by another guitar maker, Martin Guitars in this case, I believe.

GE vs VS was mainly a name change to avoid conflicts with General Electric co as I recall.

Not sure about the bracing. Does the GE version have TV Jones pickups?

– senojnad

I hope it has TVJs as that's what was in the listing! The few pre-'16s I've seen sold or listed have all been listed as having TVJ T-Armonds. Can anyone with a pre Vintage Select confirm they have TVJones? Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation