Modern Gretsch Guitars

I’m seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a G6131T - 62, …

I haven't really thought that far ahead, Dave. I did notice the Melita bridge on that particular model, and I've also noticed (here on the GDP), that a lot of people don't seem to like them.

What is the rub, with the Melita bridge, that makes people dislike them, anybody?

– Wade H

Knavel nicely covered the issue with the Melita bridge that bugs me the most, the high adjustment screws that make fingerstyle very uncomfortable if not impossible. The lower screws should help that issue to be sure, but I also don't like the aesthetics of that bridge. Visually, to me, it just looks extremely 'busy' in accomplishing what should be it's goal - separate the strings and provide intonation. It's the opposite end of the spectrum from a Serpentune, which is the ultimate in simplicity. The few vintage versions I've played don't seem to help the tone or resonance unless I had the volume cranked more than I thought necessary.

Tim can also offer suggestions on what bridge material to choose to help getting the tone you're after which is a nice bonus.

I got my 6131T-62VS 3 month ago and Love it. It plays and sounds great and looks fantastic. The neck seems very long with the double cut and can reach way up the neck. Good luck making up your mind I think you will love it.

I got my 6131T-62VS 3 month ago and Love it. It plays and sounds great and looks fantastic. The neck seems very long with the double cut and can reach way up the neck. Good luck making up your mind I think you will love it.

– Barry

Thanks, Barry! I keep gravitating back to this model. It's super cool looking, with great specs. I think that I would love the better access to the upper register very much. If I get this one, a brass SerpenTune might be in order.

With the low profile screws, palm muting with a Melita really isn't a problem. I actually didn't find it to be a big deal even with the big thumb screws. In my experience, with the low profile screws, it might take a few hours to get used to the feel. With the big screws, make it a few days. And my experience is more with vintage than modern, but I've never found them to be tone-suckers at all. In fact, they fared favorably in swapping around with other bridges, including solid one-piece bridges.

But obviously, it's an easy mod if you find you just don't like it.

And knavel, it seems to be just within the last year or so that they finally started using vintage-style logos on reissue models. The full western 6120 even has the correct small "reverse serif" logo.

And knavel, it seems to be just within the last year or so that they finally started using vintage-style logos on vintage models. The full western 6120 even has the correct small "reverse serif" logo.

It's one of those head scratcher items. They have done the hard work in remembering what they did in guitar construction in the 50s/early 60s--something that took them what, 25 years of modern era production to get right? And then simply drop the ball when it comes to an obvious, easily corrected aesthetic issue.

I have the same annoyance with reissue 70s Tele Customs. All the modern ones have "Custom" written in an arching fashion totally different than in the 70s where I dreamed as a boy at the swooshing, single statement "TELECASTER CUSTOM". I had to go actually buy a vintage one for myself because I couldn't stand to look at the modern version. But at least Fender presents it the ugly modern way in their promotions. Again, in that Gretsch VS video I posted earlier, the logo is correct and it adds a lot of gravitas to the vintage vibe. Now I might have to buy another one that I end up never using if Adorama has another blow out on Boxing Day. If only I could confirm the logo before doing so.

Rant over.

It's one of those head scratcher items. They have done the hard work in remembering what they did in guitar construction in the 50s/early 60s--something that took them what, 25 years of modern era production to get right? And then simply drop the ball when it comes to an obvious, easily corrected aesthetic issue.

Imperial. Stairstep. Buttons.

Register Sign in to join the conversation