Modern Gretsch Guitars

I’m seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a G6131T - 62, …

Does anybody have any thoughts on this guitar? I'd appreciate some guidance from some of the more experienced members. It's the double cut away Duo Jet, in Firebird Red, with gold hardware. It looks absolutely stunning, but there are none available locally, so I would need to order it.

It looks pretty sweet to me. I've never played one either, so can't tell you about neck profile, etc. But if the specs on paper suit your needs, it's sure to be well made.

Had a '63 and it was a lot of fun, but it was either that or the '57.

It's got a lot of nice specs, and is a GOOD looker.

Like Afire, I haven't played one, but being a Proline, it should be a great guitar.

I've been eyeballing the single cut version. I prefer the single cut, and the neck is the Vintage V profile, which is my all time favorite neck in the Gretsch line up.

Best of luck, and post pics when it arrives! Lol

I'm waiting on a '67 Firebird...love the look and those double SuperTrons have to sound huge.

It's got a lot of nice specs, and is a GOOD looker.

Like Afire, I haven't played one, but being a Proline, it should be a great guitar.

I've been eyeballing the single cut version. I prefer the single cut, and the neck is the Vintage V profile, which is my all time favorite neck in the Gretsch line up.

Best of luck, and post pics when it arrives! Lol

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I'm tossed between the single cut and the double cut. Both have admirable appointments. I particularly like the fact that the double cut version TV Jones pickups, and doesn't have a tension bar on the Bigsby. However I'm not sure what I think about the space control bridge. That an easy fix though, it's easily replaceable with a SerpenTune.™

Sometimes I feel like a doublecut, sometimes I feel like a single. Both have their aesthetic attractions - if, truthfully, few and minimal functional differences attributable to body design.

The REAL difference among Jet models is between Dynas (always on single-cuts) and Filter'Trons (available in either body type). Between the two, for me, the Dyna is by some measure the more essential voice. And if I remember aright, you now have just the 5420, with its Blackface Filters? Is it time to find out if Dynas are a Thing for you?

Then, to be halfway rational about an entirely obsessive (and excessive) privilege of first-world economic opportunity, you could ultimately rationalize having a doublecut Jet with 'trons, and a singlecut Jet with Dynas.

I too am considering a Duo Jet in Red. Would anyone know the width of a Duo Jet's fretboard at the 12th fret? I like a Tele and a Strat neck, and the Gretsch necks look a bit wide for me.

I too am considering a Duo Jet in Red. Would anyone know the width of a Duo Jet's fretboard at the 12th fret? I like a Tele and a Strat neck, and the Gretsch necks look a bit wide for me.

– JohnW

I don't know the width right now but my Duo Jet neck feels a lot like a medium 50s Gibson profile. I had a 50s Tribute Les Paul and the necks were almost identical.

And if I remember aright, you now have just the 5420, with its Blackface Filters? Is it time to find out if Dynas are a Thing for you? Proteus

Hmmm, Dynasonic's? I hadn't thought of that flavor, Tim. I'll look into it right away, while the wife is still in the receptive mood!........actually, she's pretty good about my indulgences in "first world economic opportunities". I worked hard to get here, and I've been allowing my self to enjoy the fruits of my life's labor, while I still have time to do it properly.

I only have one Gretsch guitar right now, the 5422TG, and I've been aching for Duo Jet. I've got a small stable of top drawer instruments, and I don't believe that I would need to justify, to you good people, the burning "need" that I'm feeling to add another top drawer Gretsch (or 2 or...), to my rotation.

In fact I've read nary a squabble over which one I would do well to purchase. It appears that the consensus would probably be for me to buy both a single cut Dynasonic Duo Jet, and the Firebird FT - 62/ TV Jones Classics!

A consensus that I'm totally down with!

In my experience,as good as Filtertrons are,Dynasonics are always just...better.

Alrighty then! The search is on for a Duo Jet, with Dynasonic pickups. Im very particularly about guitars, as we all are, and will know it when I find it.

Thank you for all the advice, in guiding me through this decision process. Throughout my time here on the GDP, the mention of Dyna Jets has always been 100% positive, and even preferred. I do believe that it is time for me to jump on the Dyna Jet wagon!

I am extremely satisfied with the TV Jones T-Armond's in my '53 Vintage Select Edition Duo-Jet. Everything about this guitar is perfect. The T-Armond's are now my favorite pickups (in a Jet), bright, punchy, articulate and also very dirt friendly

If I were in the market for a Dyna Jet it would be this one.

– Suprdave

Thanks, Dave! I like! They have one a at Sweetwater, if I have to order one, that's where it will be from. They've always treated me very well. I've thought about this one a lot, ever since, Proteus, and a few others brought brought the Dynasonic Jet under my radar. Other than my Stratocaster, I don't have any single coil guitars. I'm thrilled by the reviews, both here and elsewhere. It'll probably be after Christmas before I pick up this beauty.

Will you be changing out that Melita if that's the bridge it comes with?

Will you be changing out that Melita if that's the bridge it comes with?

– Windsordave

I haven't really thought that far ahead, Dave. I did notice the Melita bridge on that particular model, and I've also noticed (here on the GDP), that a lot of people don't seem to like them.

What is the rub, with the Melita bridge, that makes people dislike them, anybody?

I haven't really thought that far ahead, Dave. I did notice the Melita bridge on that particular model, and I've also noticed (here on the GDP), that a lot of people don't seem to like them.

What is the rub, with the Melita bridge, that makes people dislike them, anybody?

– Wade H

Melitas can be finicky. They can make unwanted noises due to their design. I also bent one of the saddle movement tabs up accidentally at a gig and it began to poke me as I played. I converted it to a bar bridge and had it pinned. Then I put on a Surpentune. No problems now. I have the ‘57 VS Dou-Jet and it is awesome. Picture is pre conversion.

I bought the green Vintage Select 57 like the one pictured above last Christmas. I haven't played it for more than 30 seconds so I can't really discuss it. I'm sure it's fine as far as modern ones go. I need to gig a guitar to really know it and I bought a 75 Telecaster Custom which pretty much blows away everything else I own and consequently I've ignored things like the 57 Duo Jet VS since.

I have a formula regarding the forensic study of gear, namely, the more studied equipment is, the less great songs are actually made using that equipment. So while we could come up with a thread topic on great songs recorded with Melita bridges, the number with a comptone or serpentine would likely be zero. All due respect, but the point is that I play all bridges and they are all the same to me once idiosynchrasies are accounted for - like making the base immoveable, or in the case of space controls, putting pvc tape around them to eliminate the rattling. Plus a lot of people are gig focused whereas I am recording and songwriting focused, so I can see why bridges can really matter--i.e, it's the ultimate YMMV matter.

The Melita's inherent problem is that the screws finger adjustments stick up and make palm muting/resting impossible. Sort of like the ashtray bridge on a Tele: Gorgeous, but prophylactic. I try mightily to play my Custom with the ashtray but it's impossible.

The way to deal with this for the Melita is to spend an afternoon at the hardware store getting the right threaded normal screws, or, my preference, send Billy Zoom ~ $5 (he has nickel and gold options I think) and get the exact ones you need in the mail without having to waste the hours. With those regular screws in place the Melita is then a great bridge.

By the way, I think the double cut VS with filters is a gorgeous guitar. You might wait around and keep a sharp eye on Adorama on Christmas day and Boxing day. I bought mine new for the used price (~$1700) from them last year when they had their dealership contract breaching below allowable price phony "open box" sale ("phony" being good for consumers in this unique instance). Caveat: Adorama have zero effective customer service and don't know how to ship properly. Mine came with the bridge still mounted in shipping and the poor packaging caused the modern Melita to snap to pieces and scratch the guitar's surface a little. Adorama would not even replace the bridge! Fender customer services took great care of me after that (I got a new bridge plus a box full of cool Gretsch swag I'll never use, including those really expensive coats, hats, shirts, straps, etc). Fender also offered me a full exchange but the one I got was good (per my 30 seconds with it) so I didn't see the need to take any chances there. My daughter will love the Dickies coat at some point.

Enjoy, whichever route you decide.

EDIT: I pulled my 57 VS out and recalled one thing which really irritated me (for some people it's bridges; for me its aesthetics!) - the way the "Gretsch" logo is on the headstock with the turned "G"--a design not at all "vintage". That is something the VS video adverts do not show (they show the normal logo). Also maybe mine was an "open box" one because there is a lot of sweat corrosion just from basic handling on the gold hardware. I took some photos if you want to see this stuff before I buried the guitar back into its chamber, let me know.

I took some photos if you want to see this stuff before I buried the guitar back into its chamber, let me know. Knavel

Thank you, Knavel, and Powertronman, for the indepth responses to my query on the Malita Bridge. Knavel, yes please, I would like to see a photo of (or two...) of anything about the mentioned guitar that you think would interest me/us. I appreciate your help. The wisdom you expressed, had an inpact on me, and it is very much appreciated.

As of yet, I'm still not locked in on a particular model. I had most of my guitars and gear stolen, a number of years ago, and I'm finally almost back to replacing everything, to a level that I feel comfortable with. I've always been able to buy (reasonably) top drawer stuff. So this time around is no exception.

I still need a good Telecaster too, I've got a 2017 American Elite Stratocaster, that's incredible. The gear available today, far exceeds what was available, when I built my rigs during the 1980's and 90's. It's never been a better time to be a guitarist!

Due to my age, (59), and some early orthopedics issues (full spinal fusion), I see that I realistically don't have but about 15 years (or so), to take advantage of the time that I have left, to make some kind of musical mark.

I've been practicing several hours a day, and I have just started to build a recording studio. I'm working with a couple of my brothers and a cousin, in putting together an act. I have a bar stool, available and ready to use, when standing gets difficult. I see a lot of old timers doing the same thing.

I see a lot of old timers doing the same thing.

Never let an old person live in your body Wade.

Here is that curved Gretsch "G" which irritates me--it's like an egg rolling from end to end. Look at how the one in the Gretsch promo for the model has the right 50s sort of logo.

Here is some of that crud that didn't just wipe away from the hardware--see the arm rest.

As mentioned, same as the one pictured above. A lot to be said for how lightweight these Gretsches are.

Register Sign in to join the conversation