Modern Gretsch Guitars

I want this

Poiple, the cullah of royalty. Nice axe. Hope you can swing a deal.

When I was at Streetsounds I saw it and thought about buying it. Just before I tried it my wife sent me a text that she was buying a new sofa. There went my guitar budget. I can't get it out of my mind. The color combo is wonderful.

Beautiful! It looks lovely in this color, with the open bound f-holes...……….and no longer with the vertical logo on the headstock All very classy.

That looks like the special 135th anniversary model.

It is the 135th anniversary model. I'm gonna call Rocky on Monday. I'll be 50 in September and I deserve this.

Windsordave, I love the Electromatic logo. If I get this it's going to Curt so he can put it on. It's so classic.

Ive been obsessing on this guitar for a week now. Ive memorized them all on reverb. This will be my next Gretsch.

I don't care for gold hardware, but this guitar is gorgeous!

This finish has been officially designated "matte coagulated blood" by an erudite hater. I love it. I'd prefer it with nickel hardware though.

You need to get to 'I NEED this' or it isn't real GAS.

My Wife won this one,, soo..

Looks like you won as well, Manny. Classy wife with classy git-fiddle.

It is the 135th anniversary model. I'm gonna call Rocky on Monday. I'll be 50 in September and I deserve this.

Windsordave, I love the Electromatic logo. If I get this it's going to Curt so he can put it on. It's so classic.

– UncleGrumpy

Do what you gotta do (wink) but it already has the Electromatic name on the pickguard....and it's [tastefully] horizontal.

– UncleGrumpy

That, you do, John!

My Wife won this one,, soo..

– LA_Manny

Does she play? Is she a super model? What do you think about the guitar Devil Dog?

Do what you gotta do (wink) but it already has the Electromatic name on the pickguard....and it's [tastefully] horizontal.

– Windsordave

You know what? You're right. It's fine as is.

Contrary to the impression I greatly dislike the name Electromatic, I don't; although it still does sound like a vacuum cleaner sold door to door in the '50's. It was never the name itself I objected to but rather it being vertically displayed on the headstock in uninspiring plain block letters. In that regard, I don't like any names displayed vertically, and the White Falcon falls into that category as well.

I wonder if Rocky takes trades,

– UncleGrumpy

I love this guitar and my wife already gave me the thumbs down. 2 sick days, 2 days because of snow but other than that, I have not taken a vacation day since the 2018 started. Add the 4 hours commuting/day and I think I deserve some goodness. Yes/no?

Or is Clint talking to me on this one?

We do has our fastidious little aesthetic quirks, hasn't we, Dave?

I think

E
L
E
C
T
R
O
M
A
T
I
C

looks quite honorable on the guitars it adorns. Far from a badge of shame or budgetary lack, it connects with Gretsch heritage, and I display it proudly.

It also looks well horizontally on the new Electros, whereon even Gretsch has apparently decided there are sales to be made in obscuring the price range of their ever-upmarketing Electro range. (One hopes they aren't sabotaging the "pro" line.)

But I has me own Gretschthetic quirks, I has, so while the details may differ, I know where you're coming from.

Even when I do it myself, though, I can't believe we're actually buying guitars for their color scheme. When we don't have a particular model (or one so near as who-cares), and a guitar is available in several options, I'm all about picking the one we like best. But when we already have the guitar (or as near as who-cares)...I can only shake my head when we (I) buy another just for the color.

First-world issues for sure.

Wellthere Proteus, I hear what you saying. I am also a fan of the electro badge. I played a few 5420's and really wanted one. This color scheme just sent me over the edge. I have a 5422 and it's incredible. I have a 5120 that I love. Out of the ten or twelve Gretsch guitars that I own my 5120 is second only to my Custom Shop Penguin. The 5420, to me, is a step up from the 5120 build wise and has different pups. So, I reckon, a 5420 and a good flat top acoustic will fill all the voids. For now. Maybe. I could be wrong.

We do has our fastidious little aesthetic quirks, hasn't we, Dave?

I think

E
L
E
C
T
R
O
M
A
T
I
C

looks quite honorable on the guitars it adorns. Far from a badge of shame or budgetary lack, it connects with Gretsch heritage, and I display it proudly.

It also looks well horizontally on the new Electros, whereon even Gretsch has apparently decided there are sales to be made in obscuring the price range of their ever-upmarketing Electro range. (One hopes they aren't sabotaging the "pro" line.)

But I has me own Gretschthetic quirks, I has, so while the details may differ, I know where you're coming from.

Even when I do it myself, though, I can't believe we're actually buying guitars for their color scheme. When we don't have a particular model (or one so near as who-cares), and a guitar is available in several options, I'm all about picking the one we like best. But when we already have the guitar (or as near as who-cares)...I can only shake my head when we (I) buy another just for the color.

First-world issues for sure.

– Proteus

I used to agree that you can’t play a color but then didn’t buy one and regretted it. It was a HOF and I already have a “regular” 6211-1959, but I could see this playing out similarly with other models.

Maybe not right now, but your time will come UncleGrumpy and it will be yours.

Yes, the new 5420s are a step beyond the 5120. Or even early 5420s. They have to stop getting better or we won't be able to stand it.

And I certainly did the color thing. Bought my first 5420 because I had to have Aspen Green. Traded it for my current one because I had to have Candy Apple Red. I still have to have CAR, so I'm good.

For the moment.

You just keep on telling yourself that. It's okay. You will get more. Gretsch should put an 800 number on their guitars. You know, If you or someone you know has a Gretsch problem call 1 800 555 5420.

Register Sign in to join the conversation