Modern Gretsch Guitars

I never wanted a Jet… until today. (Colin James)

OK, quick review since I've has a chance to sit down in MY house with MY guitars...

Punchy, yes. Gritty yes BUT only after you wind it up a bit..... I can do that here, but many people would not be able to, it's loud enough to disturb neighbors. The overdrive is MUCH nicer than the Princeton's tho... I know some people love it, but I always thought the PR had crappy, cheap-sounding, ratty, overdrive. Clean tones are what it excels at.

Basically, I'd say the Tremoverb is a fatter, smoother, PR... with much better OD when cranked up. In a nutshell. In the end, not sure I'll keep both (altho "in the end" could be a year or more from now LOL).

The Supro IS a great tele amp... it has alot of body, and I don't just mean bass- it's bass but also low mids and mid mids. That, along with it's high end than CANNOT get ice picky, and it's a perfect tele amp. I'm shocked they discontinued them. I haven't yet found one of my OD pedals that sounds as good with it ... that may take some tweaking...

OH- also mates better with my Gretsch (with Filtertrons) than the PRRI does. Those pickups have alot of highs and lows. The PRRI has alot of highs and lows. I find the MIDS of the Supro better compliment the Gretsch. And no- "just turn the treble down" on the PRRI is NOT the same thing... I know alot of people here will think those comments sacrilege, but you have to bear in mind- I am not EVER going for a Chet Atkins tone. If that's what "That Great Gretsch Sound!" is, I'm not interested. I always like a little grit, I like fatness, and I like NON-ice-pick trebles. The Supro delivers on that very well, with the Hot Rod/Filtertrons. As well as the tele.

Sounds like an amp I'd like, never having been a stock BF Princeton fan in the first place. Everything you say about the tone rhymes and chimes with my preferences. And it's durn handsome too.

OK, I'll get one?

Well...probably not. And not unless I sell other amp(s). Barring some unforeseen (and all but unimaginable) change in life circumstances, I just don't much need amps.

Sounds like an amp I'd like, never having been a stock BF Princeton fan in the first place. Everything you say about the tone rhymes and chimes with my preferences. And it's durn handsome too.

OK, I'll get one?

Well...probably not. And not unless I sell other amp(s). Barring some unforeseen (and all but unimaginable) change in life circumstances, I just don't much need amps.

– Proteus

FYI, they are discontinued already. Something like Supro planned to make x amount, they made them, and that's it. There are currently 2 "like new" used ones on MF website, if you were interested... I found those AND THIS ONE (which I bought at GC; MF and GC same company), just got lucky it was local. But knowing now what they sound like in person, I'd buy one online without worry.

If you have any particular/specific questions, let me know... I'll do my best to help you out.

I'm not sure I would keep this one AND my PR.... but it may take a year or so for me to decide (and I would lean Supro... because I like fat smooth old school tones)

I wonder if it's tonal voice- less highs, more mids, same bass.... put it in the Fender Brown/Blonde camp? I've never owned one, so IDK... I was gassing to try to Stapleton Princeton, but not any more.

From your description, the Supro does sound brownblondish, based on the few B&Bs I've played through. And I know Brown/Blonds evolved over their short run from mostly tweedy to mostly blackfacey - but every one I've played has immediately attracted me as perfect middle grounds between those two poles. (Because, I guess, duh.)

While I've spent a lottalotta time with the blackface tone, and have probably too many representatives of it now, it's only because I discovered the B&B difference too late in my amp career to shop in person for affordable examples - and I think I'd have to audition one in person to see just where on the tweed-to-BF continuum it fell. Likewise with boutique builds: its just logistically hard to shop for such amps.

Overall, I prefer the mids to be filled in a little - probably why I like the Peavey C30 so well. I'm not much of a fan of tweed - at least not open-back tweed combos. Sometimes, for some things, yes. But not as a home base.

There's something about the way the B&Bs I've played through treat the mids. It hasn't been overstated or pushed, it's just - to my ear - balanced and round. That's what I hear you saying about the Supro...and that piques my curiosity.

To fill in and back up the Rondo/SX Tele recommendation a bit - though I know it's a hijack of the thread's original topic (you SHOULD get a Jet), which you've already hijacked yourself with amp talk - here's a pic of my 160.00 SX Tele. (And please blow it up big in another window.)

I love the candy red metallic load...

But the headstock is certainly unfortunate.

To fill in and back up the Rondo/SX Tele recommendation a bit - though I know it's a hijack of the thread's original topic (you SHOULD get a Jet), which you've already hijacked yourself with amp talk - here's a pic of my 160.00 SX Tele. (And please blow it up big in another window.)

– Proteus

OK well... P90s... not to entice you any more, but...

Yeah, that's the tone. (Assuming the amp will go cleaner than that.)

And because the GDP will no longer honor a changed photo link once its been posted (though the interface lets me go through all the steps), here's the Tele pic I meant to post in the first time.

Yeah, that's the tone. (Assuming the amp will go cleaner than that.)

– Proteus

Hold on a tic....

If it doesn't do it automatically, FFWD to 6:00

Yep. I could go happy with that.

That’s a gorgeous tele, Prot. But yes... I concur about the “unfortunate” headstock :(

A lot of people bag on the pearloid pickguards, but I love them!

I just watched the video and his Jet sounds amazing! I watched his Strat video after this one and yes, most of it comes from him.

Yup, I had to track the thread down as I "thought" I found or Jet model resurrected! The key word here being "thought". I think the specs are dead on except the pickups.....current TV Jones and not ceramic.

I don't know if anyone is aware of these but they do look enticing.

"Vintage Select" from '89:

https://www.gretschguitars....

Devil's Tool has a black jet that is one of the best guitars I've ever played.

Register Sign in to join the conversation