Modern Gretsch Guitars

I just cant stand the look of ABR bridges on a Gretsch

Anyone else? it looks so unnatural to me. Needs to be a bar bridge, melita, space control or something that's Gretsch

Yeah, like Pontiac hubcaps on a Dodge truck.

I can't stand the look of a Gretsch under an ABR bridge

I can't stand the look of a Gretsch under an ABR bridge

– fuzzpop

hehe

Seriously - I don't mind

Yeah, total crap. ; )

I don't mind at all. Works great, intonates well, sounds good.

I dislike the acoustic sound: plinkity plink plink. Electric, not so bad. I'll be glad to upgrade to a Bigsby or TruArc.

So long as it goes up and down and the boats fit under, I'm okay with most any bridge.....

Eh.....make a recording, play a gig, and the audience doesn't care. Anyhow, I don't play the looks of a guitar.

It looks ok on my SSLVO but doesn't look right on my 6122-62

Yeah, total crap. ; )

– sascha

Hot for sure! But the bridge looks wrong

They're much better than the stupid concept of the tone robbing space control - like, how often do your feel the need to adjust the spacing of your strings. And they're better than the overly busy looking and uncomfortable on the heel (NOT palm....sheeesh!) of my hand for muting the lower 3 strings. Mine function just fine.

You say you can't stand the look of an ABR bridge. Just curious, how do you watch it 'perform' when you're playing?

Me, I really don't care for the sunburst finish. Tobacco/yellow, various red and yellow permutations don't do a thing for me. I find them just uninteresting. Finishes don't factor in on performance whereas bridges do and many ABR's work just fine.

Well I actually find they make a significant difference sound wise. Less top end and less bottom. Some people like that. I understand that they are easier to intonate, but a properly compensated bridge can intonate just as well and not have the pile of small moving parts that inherrantly reduce the vibrations of the strings making it to the top..I understand that for some people that's also a positive factor and I'm not knocking that, just not for me. I like the articulation of a rosewood or ebony, well fitted archtop bridge. with a wood top and or a compensated bone saddle.

As far as looks go I find the tuna-matics to be generic and functional looking with no inherrant beauty.

Well I actually find they make a significant difference sound wise. Less top end and less bottom. Some people like that. I understand that they are easier to intonate, but a properly compensated bridge can intonate just as well and not have the pile of small moving parts that inherrantly reduce the vibrations of the strings making it to the top..I understand that for some people that's also a positive factor and I'm not knocking that, just not for me. I like the articulation of a rosewood or ebony, well fitted archtop bridge. with a wood top and or a compensated bone saddle.

As far as looks go I find the tuna-matics to be generic and functional looking with no inherrant beauty.

– Toxophilite

Is a tuna-matic anything like a Bass-O-Matic? Sounds fishy to me!

– Toxophilite

that's a fair point, they are functional with no real elegance to them like a lovely looking bar bridge.

Is a tuna-matic anything like a Bass-O-Matic? Sounds fishy to me!

– Parabar

Very fishy! I just like calling them tuna-matics

I don't care, as long as it works....

It doesn't matter to me. I had a TOM bridge on the Power Tenny I once owned and it worked fine. I have replaced Space Control, Melita, roller and standard Rocking Bar bridges with Tru-Arcs in the past.

I love my Gibson ABR1. I imagine they rob tone on a floating base, but straight into the body theres nothing else id use, unless I got another Gretsch, then id drill a Melita to the top like my silver jet. The Callaham vintage spec ABR is awesome, especially with brass saddles. I also pulled the wire off mine, the saddles are so tight that the rattling wire is unnecessary. So clear and robust sounding.

that's a fair point, they are functional with no real elegance to them like a lovely looking bar bridge.

– Blue4Now

The generic ones look generic, but a 50's Gibson ABR1 with larger thumbwheels looks as elegant as any to me

Register Sign in to join the conversation