Modern Gretsch Guitars

I have always found it so easy to be green.

It's just a short hop in the Way-Back Machine to spring 2013 and my crop of verdant greenery.

The Matchless Lightning Reverb and Aspen Green 5420 are now gone, but their green places have been taken by an Electromatic 5622 doublecut triple-pup centerblocker with catseyes in Georgia Green, a Squire Vintage Mod Jag in Surf Green, and a Reverend Airwave 12 in Alpine Metallic.

So I'm even greener than I was.

I'm thinking of selling the Rev Rick Vito, though.

I like the Club the best of those. Jet comes in second.

That's some nice greenery.

I'm thinking you need some Torino green in there as well, you know, just to represent.

It's not easy being green

It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things

And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're

Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water

Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of Spring

And green can be cool and friendly-like

Orange you special.

Beautiful collection, Tim! However -- your gorgeous CC Caddy Green Duo Jet needs a wire arm Bigsby.... I assume it has a Tru-Arc.......

Well, you can't tell from that pic, but the Jet has the Duane Eddy handle - which, after having them all, I recognize as the best of the bunch. I love the look of the wire handle I have on the Club - and it works fine - but nothing is as responsive and easily controlled as the DE handle. (Which is also a gorgeous piece of aluminum work.)

And, yeah, Tru-Arc on the Jet.

The Matchless on the left in front of the wagon wheel. Be still my bleeding heart.

Yup. Sold it. You coulda had it.

What Crowbone said. Just because.

Torino green. Gotcha. I'll get right on that.

I'm not responsible for having to represent every green that goes on Custom Shop guitars, am I? I mean, production releases...maybe I have a chance. But Custom Shop could be anything...

The Duo Jet looks more stately in this picture. ( as opposed to the one from the trunk of your salmon colored Cadillac )

Took me some time, but finally got green:

What's the guitar on the far right?

Ibanez Artcore AFS75T, slightly modified (but only to near-perfection). Very sweet ride. Comes with genericobuckers, but there are ever so many options to replace those.

Strange, I've never had a green guitar. A couple of years ago I did go out to buy a surf green Squier Jaguar, but came home with a sonic blue Jazzmaster instead. No regrets -- decent guitar.

Even stranger; currently I have five Gretsches but none of them is orange -- two black, one blue, one gold top and one burst. I did once have a '63 double cut 6120 in orange, but that was 40 years ago.

Right now I think I need a red guitar, but it has to be that deep lustrous cherry red that shows the wood grain underneath -- just like the '68 ES335 I used to have. Hey ho, guitars come and go.

my collection (LOL) would likely be greener if more companies made green guitars than Gretsch. don't get me wrong, l i love Gretsches, but the green ones are out of my price bracket. i saw a green DeArmond 12-string on Reverb with that odd not-quite-a-SG body style...i'd have snapped it up in a NY minute were i funded. and i rather lust after those classic Burns guitars as well, the Bison and that Steer like Billy Bragg used to play. a British Racing Green Strat wouldn't be far off the mark, either.

my collection (LOL) would likely be greener if more companies made green guitars than Gretsch. don't get me wrong, l i love Gretsches, but the green ones are out of my price bracket. i saw a green DeArmond 12-string on Reverb with that odd not-quite-a-SG body style...i'd have snapped it up in a NY minute were i funded. and i rather lust after those classic Burns guitars as well, the Bison and that Steer like Billy Bragg used to play. a British Racing Green Strat wouldn't be far off the mark, either.

– macphisto

It sounds to me like you need to find one of those GLove Corvette models. Green with a racing stripe on it.

I passed on a GLove several years ago and think I made a mistake. Nice and rarely show up.

Racing stripes are automatic disqualifiers on cars. I won't be having one on a guitar anytime soon.

Racing stripes are automatic disqualifiers on cars. I won't be having one on a guitar anytime soon.

– Proteus

Wha...?

But that's how you play faster!

Register Sign in to join the conversation