Modern Gretsch Guitars

I guess Bo Diddley really WAS a gunslinger

Saw this on Reverb...

Link

Dang it, Stephen Stern! I think I'm in love.

There should be barbed wire, a cobra snake and rattlesnake hide incorporated into that before Bo's estate puts his stamp on it.

Don't forget the headstock ... made on top ... made from a human skull. And instead of B.B.'s "Lucille," this one's named "Arlene."

Very tempting...if not quite pricey.

And I was in Tucson in January....

I like Bo. I like knotty pine Roundups.

But this is silly.

I suspect Bo's original request for a rectangular guitar should be considered in the context of his determination to stand out as unique in every way, and of the buxom curvy, swirly, swoopy, finny design regime of the late 50s against which the simple box made a statement.

For my money, the much space-agier Jupiter T'birds (and especially Lady Bo's, when are they going to gin THAT up?) are much superior aesthetically. (And since the specs here can be had in other body designs, we can only be talking aesthetics, right?) I think they do a better job of riffing on the culture of the era, and stand out more stylishly than the box.

The brutal rectilinearity of that body is not improved by cowboy regalia, nor do the two motifs have anything to do with each other.

An old-west coffin-shaped piney box with western wear would cause less cognitive dissonance than this just-because-we-can exercise. The barbed wire, cobra, rattlesnake binding, and skull would work great with that too.

This? Nah.

Yes, he was a deputy sheriff in New Mexico for a time. Imagine being arrested by Bo Diddley?

I guess that's not as strange as being brought back to life by David Lee Roth when he was a paramedic in NYC.

I like Bo. I like knotty pine Roundups.

But this is silly.

I suspect Bo's original request for a rectangular guitar should be considered in the context of his determination to stand out as unique in every way, and of the buxom curvy, swirly, swoopy, finny design regime of the late 50s against which the simple box made a statement.

For my money, the much space-agier Jupiter T'birds (and especially Lady Bo's, when are they going to gin THAT up?) are much superior aesthetically. (And since the specs here can be had in other body designs, we can only be talking aesthetics, right?) I think they do a better job of riffing on the culture of the era, and stand out more stylishly than the box.

The brutal rectilinearity of that body is not improved by cowboy regalia, nor do the two motifs have anything to do with each other.

An old-west coffin-shaped piney box with western wear would cause less cognitive dissonance than this just-because-we-can exercise. The barbed wire, cobra, rattlesnake binding, and skull would work great with that too.

This? Nah.

– Proteus

It was, and is, modern art. A bizarro cubist creation. It was a way of standing out as a unique artist. I'd want one, but Gretsch seem to only interested in recreating a tribute with a vague resemblance. Rather odd when you consider they have access to dynasonic pickups, black and red paint and white binding

I quite like it. I don't think it's silly. But Gretsch did only make one rectangular guitar for Bo, I believe. Most of the rectangular guitars Bo actually played were made by a luthier in Australia whose name escapes me.

I agree with Vince - it most definitely qualifies as modern art. Fab.

Bless their hearts!

– Proteus

You watch your mouth!

Children could see this!

I gotta agree with Tim on this one.I see a Tampa Nugget cigar box when I look at this.A little much for a guitar IMHO that should’ve been BD simple.Westernizing a Bo is a stretch and I think the only reason I like it at all is because I’m a fan of the Gretsch Giddy-Up guitars.

Now quit yer messin' around....

I'm with Proteus on this. It's a box with Gretsch Logos on it.

I'll never understand their allure.

They should make one of these rectangular-body guitars for the Sponge-Bob signature model!

It was, and is, modern art. A bizarro cubist creation.

I don’t disagree - about the original. I suppose the cowboyed-up version might be seen in the same light, but it seems a rather pallid - and 60-year-belated - exercise, one which bellows “WHY?” at the top of its pop-cubist squarepants lungs.

When the first guy makes a rectangular version of a curvy shiny red guitar, it’s an artful, even transgressive statement. When someone commissions a cowboy version 60 years later, what is it?

I’m entirely in favor of everyone having what they like, and am thrilled for them.

I just wouldn’t want to play either of them. But that’s just me.

Oh there are plenty of worse shapes than the rectangle in guitars! I absolutely don't get the Billy Bo. Ugly ugly ugly! But I prefer to spend my time looking at and talking about the ones I really like.

Even the Duo Jet is a bit funny lookin', especially compared to the perfect proportions of the Les Paul. But then the Les Paul has been done, so what do you do? As a result you get the Duo Jet, and I have learnt to love the shape because it's such a great sounding guitar. I almost prefer the shape of the Duo Jet over the Les Paul; not necessarily purely for aesthetic reasons but because of what the guitars mean to me both personally and as part of the guitar culture.

Word of the Day... rectilinearity.

Say it five times fast!

Deed, If I were to attempt that, (5x fast) it would inevitably come out sounding dirty. I'll pass.

I’m not generally a fan of the rectangular guitars, but I kinda like this one. Why not?

Register Sign in to join the conversation