Modern Gretsch Guitars

I did a thing.. w a Brian Setzer 2014 Flat Black Hotrod G6120SHBTV

I picked up a Setzer flat black hotrod for a steal online and had a bunch of parts laying around that I figured I could "put back" on this G6120SHBTV that was removed from it and replaced. I also thought I could get the overlaying finish that was applied to it off..but after receiving the instrument I found that there was some "Stuff" done to it that was involved.

So I removed EVERYTHING, only to find that someone had used a hand drill to bore out space for the humbucker ears and screws on the trestles (ps this loading of only one photo at a time on this site, SUX)

Plus the scrape marks were deep, looks like a knife was used and the paint was a mix of enamel and metallic. First layered in white, then the red and blue were added. So I decided to try to do some finish wet sanding and artistically make it look like one of those sara painted gretsch custom shop relic jobs..

A looooooot of elbow grease to finally get a good blended and smooths satin-ee finish/faux french polish

then clean up the dust and polish it one last time.. I wasnt going to spend a lot of time trying to rebuild the wood removed fro mthe top of the trestles so I used some cleats I bought from tvjones, mixed some super glue and jb wield to support the pickups.. which is yet another story

I hired Kmac (he left this site because of mean dickheads giving him slack) to take a set of tvjones classic neck and classic+ bridge that I removed the original covers from, and to make paul bigsby style "holders" for.. ala the Paul Bigsby/ Alan Granstrom myrtlewood tele "ray butts" pickup They unfortunately wouldnt retrofit, since they were hanging pickups/surface mount. I thought it would be ideal but it required even more wood from the top to be removed so I disassembled the "holders" refit the machined top cover to the tvjones filters and install them like regular filters, then slide the other assembly over, like a bezel and affix that to the top of the guitar. Added an Embiematic bridge, a proper Gretsch b-6 bigsby and voila! A buck owens - brian setzer hotrod ala relic custom shop sort of thing.

the back of the guitar is still totally stock, w the addition of a 2015 hand signature of Fred Gretsch III on the headstock, and this POW/MIA sticker that I havent removed yet.

thinking of adding this pickguard I made from a clear guard and paul setzer sticker https://scontent-lax3-1.cdn...

Coolest Gretsch Hot Rod I’ve seen, and those pickups look awesome.

Well done!

I realize those pickup covers are strictly superficial, purely aesthetic alternatives -- but they are so dang cool looking! My dad tried to fix his classical guitar's bridge with JB Weld and it didn't work. Glad it worked out for you.

Nice job with the reclamation! I hope you took that sticker off the side, too.

thanks guys! and yes Jeff H, that had to come off first... I dont want to get fired from my job :)

ps. Tim Harman @proteus is a magician of the highest nerdity. I couldnt hang w the syncro/melitta bridge for my playing style. So I popped this brass 9.5 serpentune on the guitar. Serious serious addition to the sound and feel of this lovely G6120SHBTV!! Cant say enough.. although the slots are cut for a 12g string set, and I use 11s. I wish he took in trades, haha.

That's actually pretty cool. It would be one of the few guitars I've seen where I reckon you could go even further with the relicing, although it looks good as it is. I just think that the red white and blue thing lends itself to severe relicing.

How does it play?

You did good things....the previous owner did bad things.

That's actually pretty cool. I'll bet Buck would approve.

Bridge looks great! Thanks as always for the support.

And the pickups and surrounds are killer.

However, If it was mine, and I deemed the musical results worth the effort, I think I'd relic that finish clean off and start with something else from the wood out. The pickups would stand out so much better on a darker color...than white. Maybe natural, tung-oiled and stained. Or hot rod flat black with suitable trimmins.

It is an amazing transformation, You've done a great job!

That's actually pretty cool. It would be one of the few guitars I've seen where I reckon you could go even further with the relicing, although it looks good as it is. I just think that the red white and blue thing lends itself to severe relicing.

How does it play?

– JimmyR

it still feels like a brand new hotrod, thats the crazy thing. The satin black is wonderful.

Register Sign in to join the conversation