Modern Gretsch Guitars

Hot Rod Thumbnail Inlays Issue?

I have 2 Hot Rods. On the newer model, I just noticed some inconsistencies on the inlays. Some appear to be transparent towards the bottom. What are your thoughts? Is this OK?

2 possibilities, it’s just the swirl of color in the inlay, or it’s nearly sanded through. In either case it’s basically a non issue, and might be better left as is.

2 possibilities, it’s just the swirl of color in the inlay, or it’s nearly sanded through. In either case it’s basically a non issue, and might be better left as is.

– JazzBoxJunky

Ya, I was thinking it's probably just fine... thanks for sharing.

It's a non issue for function, but that would drive me nuts on a new guitar.

Just me.

It's a non issue for function, but that would drive me nuts on a new guitar.

Just me.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I'm with you on that.

I dig it. My kind of non-conformism. The Japanese aesthetic called wabi-sabi, a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection...and it drives ocd people nuts...so it’s entertaining, too.

I thought the inlays were supposed to have a mother of pearlescent vibe?
Seems variation is part of the look .... no?

I understand certain little "things" vary on an instrument, making each one unique.

I'm not OCD about it, but thumbnail markers are one thing that should be right on any new Gretsch.

This one slipped through QC plum and simple. Before anyone raggs on me for this, I'm betting Joe C would feel the same way, especially on a HR Sig guitar.

Remember the inlay issues a member had a few months ago? Joe wasn't pleased with QC on that one.

This issue is small, and doesn't hurt any function of this guitar. That said, once noticed, it's hard not to see.

Again, not OCD, but not acceptable on a new Gretsch.

Man, I don't know. A bad neck, bad frets/fretwork, poorly installed bridge or electronics, serious finish defects, those would be "unacceptable." I'm not sure I'd even notice this issue. This is the kind of problem you sort of need to be looking for.

Measured against standards like these, no vintage Gretsch would have left the factory! Ive seen quite a few thumbnails that were not what anyone might call "perfect."

That said, it's your guitar, and you want what you want. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

I thought the inlays were supposed to have a mother of pearlescent vibe?
Seems variation is part of the look .... no?

– Hipbone

Interesting you mention this because there are slight variations made on this model compared to my 2015. Nothing major except the new Gotoh Tuners but my 15' has the pearlescent vibe inlays where the 18' seems to be more of glacier white type of thing.

If the material is MISSING, and part of the thumbnail just isn't there...that's a problem.

If it's just that the material turns a bit transparent in places...gosh. I'm with Bob Howard: natural variation is usually considered part of the beauty of nature, even fundamental to it.

I actually don't know if modern thumbnails are a natural or man-made material. If man-made, I suppose one school of thought could expect and insist that a synthetic "improve" on nature by being perfectly consistent in distribution of pigment. Another might judge the success of the simulation on how well it "models" the random (or rhythmic) variation which would occur in nature.

This is a chance for you to decide which school you attend.

All of the modern Gretsches that I've owned with thumbnails, had MOP inlays. They look like real MOP, but maybe they're not. If man maid material, it looks outstanding.

I've had three modern Gretsches with humpblock markers. One was MOP, one looked like a synthetic MOP, and one in a plain white material.

The OP's issue isn't a major defect that will effect the function of anything on his guitar. It's purely an esthetics thing. Just one of those things that onced noticed, it's easy to see.

We all know about vintage variability and all the charm this brings out in an old guitar. I guess the same can be said for the OP's guitar.

I don't see this as having to belong to one school or another, it's just a matter of how happy the OP is with it, and if he'll take action to fix it, or call it good.

Myself, I could go either route, depending on how bonded I am with it.

Well, and irrespective of bonding, how it looks in context. We're seeing only a closeup of one fret marker - no way to tell what impact, if any, it has on the impression made by the whole guitar as a unitary thing.

All of the modern Gretsches that I've owned with thumbnails, had MOP inlays. They look like real MOP, but maybe they're not. If man maid material, it looks outstanding.

I've had three modern Gretsches with humpblock markers. One was MOP, one looked like a synthetic MOP, and one in a plain white material.

The OP's issue isn't a major defect that will effect the function of anything on his guitar. It's purely an esthetics thing. Just one of those things that onced noticed, it's easy to see.

We all know about vintage variability and all the charm this brings out in an old guitar. I guess the same can be said for the OP's guitar.

I don't see this as having to belong to one school or another, it's just a matter of how happy the OP is with it, and if he'll take action to fix it, or call it good.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

You're right as there's no affect on function. My intent was not to stir up anything, I just didn't know if it was an issue, i.e. the inlay wasn't set correctly, part of it was missing and filled with glue, etc. This is my 3rd Gretsch and I've never seen this. It could be better but I completely understand that nothing is perfect. I'm not attached to this guitar and just received it recently due to some unforeseen circumstances. I'm actually currently trying to sell it and came across this as I was inspecting it. I honestly prefer my 15' model as I consider it perfect in every way despite it's imperfections. Lots of great input. Thank you!

You're right as there's no affect on function. My intent was not to stir up anything, I just didn't know if it was an issue, i.e. the inlay wasn't set correctly, part of it was missing and filled with glue, etc. This is my 3rd Gretsch and I've never seen this. It could be better but I completely understand that nothing is perfect. I'm not attached to this guitar and just received it recently due to some unforeseen circumstances. I'm actually currently trying to sell it and came across this as I was inspecting it. I honestly prefer my 15' model as I consider it perfect in every way despite it's imperfections. Lots of great input. Thank you!

– RG7X

Nah, you didn't stir up anything. We all love to converse about all things Gretsch, and even converse about nothing at times! Lol

The Gretsch website describes these as "pearloid." IIRC vintage was MOP.

Well...not to belabor the obvious, but there weren't any 6120 BS Hot Rods in the vintage era, so the comparison seems moot.

Register Sign in to join the conversation