Modern Gretsch Guitars

History Question on Historic Series

Hello,

I am new here. I was going to add my 3110 Historic to the serial number registry. I notice that guys with 3110's and almost the same serial number are claiming 1990 and 1999 as the production year. It is my understanding that Historic's started in 1999?? Mine has a Gretsch decal inside the body with a hand witten serial number of 9089004 anyone know how to decode this?

They're all made in the 1999-2000 time range. I own several, including a 3110. And yes, some of mine have hand written labels.

Usually they start with two letters, like GP. I'm guessing yours is July of 1999. Maybe the writer had a block.

Bob's got the scoop. They're a bit tricky, since the SNs don't really match up with anything else, but it appears that the second digit 0 might reference 2000. But really, I'm not sure who (in the US at least) really knows. Whoever they are, they haven't spoken up in nearly 20 years now. From my conversations with Fred, I don't think he's 100% sure if the SNs are coded or what. The good news is that since the Historics had such an unfortunately short run, we know they all came from just a few years, whatever the SN may indicate. They did limp along until 2003, as I recall, but the vast majority sold were 99/2000.

They're all made in the 1999-2000 time range. I own several, including a 3110. And yes, some of mine have hand written labels.

Usually they start with two letters, like GP. I'm guessing yours is July of 1999. Maybe the writer had a block.

– NJBob

Thank you, Mine has no letters in front of it. since mine is hand written and starts with a "9" I am assuming it is a 1999. I thought the "..........004" might mean it is very early.

They don’t follow any of the modern any schemes. It’s mostly guesswork. Personally, from what I’ve seen a 9 followed by a 0 would make me lean toward 2000, but who knows.

The label on my Historic Series 3110. I can't make out the penultimate digit in the serial number.

The label on my Historic Series 3110. I can't make out the penultimate digit in the serial number.

– Dave_K

I looked closer. My 3110 is handwritten starting with a 9

The 3140 also hand written but starting with a G...I think.

The 3967...great guitar...is type with a GP.

The 3410 also typed with a GP.

Now, my 640 is not a Historic, but the SN doesn’t start with letters like normal prolines, but is a typed number.

Bob, your 640 follows the pre fender dating scheme

The Historic Series actually crawled its way to 2006...

Register Sign in to join the conversation