Modern Gretsch Guitars

Hippie disease attacks in the lower bout. Possibly terminal

MY EYES!!!

MY EYES!!!!

I was in a road band back in the early 80’s with a shredder guy whose main ax was a ‘59 Les Paul that he’d mounted a Floyd Rose on.

Somebody put an effin' Floyd Rose in a Country Club???

Oh, the humanity...

Wait, wait... Tavo... Are you sure that YOU didn't do this yourself?

C'mon, everyone knows that you're a closet Satriani fan anyways..

oh, no, mate...you can't blame Floyds on hippies. that shiz came about well after "hippie" had become nothing but a signifier for anybody who had hair, smoked dope, or didn't want to join the Army.

I seen this the other night(can’t even remember where now ) while kinda high on pain meds from surgery but I was clearly screwed up as I didn’t remember it being such a ratchet...a damn shame it is.

Well, some guys like to mod!

I'll say it again: just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

I was in a road band back in the early 80’s with a shredder guy whose main ax was a ‘59 Les Paul that he’d mounted a Floyd Rose on.

OK, who? Has he survived to realize he routed a fatal hole in his retirement?

And yeah, Tavo. Don't confuse hippies with shredders. The only points of continuity are hair length (not style) and (in some cases) drugs (though not necessarily the same ones). I suppose it's true that shredding grew out of classic rock, which some hippies helped create. But no hippie would do that to a big hollowbody. Does "locking" sound like something any hippie would have anything to do with?

hippies and longhairs are to blame for most guitar atrocities. lack of fine barbering and choices in shoes.

As Billy Zoom says

Besides, it's a well-documented fact that REAL hippies use Bigsbys!

Extra Credit to anyone who can name all the above guitarists and the bands they were in when the pictures were taken!

ok two hrs later using pre historic methods..

– TheNocturneBrain

"The Whammy and The Damage Done"

"The Whammy and The Damage Done"

– lx

I watched the whammy take another man...

• John Cippolina, Quicksilver Messenger Service
  • Jerry Garcia, Grateful Dead
  • obscured face could be Paul Kanter - but wrong hair...
  • David Crosby, Byrds...maybe
  • Neil Young, no idea what band at that time
  • James Gurley, Big Brother...maybe?
  • Stephen Stills, Buffalo Springfield
  • Robby Krieger, Doors

I have to wonder if Jerry Miller or McGuinn makes an appearance here.

• Robby Krieger, Doors

– Proteus

3) Jerry Garcia, Warlocks (trick question)

6) Jorma Kaukonen, Jefferson Airplane

8) James Gurley, Big Brother

Great answers IMO, Tim! I could only identify 2 (JG), 4 (DC) and 5 (NY). Had guessed at 7 (SS) but with zero confidence. In other words I didn't KMAFAHITHG.......

OK, who? Has he survived to realize he routed a fatal hole in his retirement?

And yeah, Tavo. Don't confuse hippies with shredders. The only points of continuity are hair length (not style) and (in some cases) drugs (though not necessarily the same ones). I suppose it's true that shredding grew out of classic rock, which some hippies helped create. But no hippie would do that to a big hollowbody. Does "locking" sound like something any hippie would have anything to do with?

– Proteus

Yep. This was before I started learning about guitars so at the time, I didn’t realize the significance. I ran into him a couple of years ago and asked him about it to make sure I had it straight.

His reply was “I don’t wanna talk about it.”

ok two hrs later using pre historic methods..

– TheNocturneBrain

How about on a Tim Armstrong?

• Robby Krieger, Doors

– Proteus

Close but no cigar (or spliff).

3) is Barry "The Fish" Melton of Country Joe & the Fish, taken at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. Paul Kantner mostly played Rickenbacker 12's without whammy apparatus of any kind.

1) is, of course, John Cipollina, but I think the pic was taken while he was with Copperhead.
2) is Garcia with the Dead, not the Warlocks
4) is indeed David Crosby with the Byrds
5) is Neil in his solo days
6) is not James Gurley, but one Jorma Ludwik Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
8) is also not James Gurley, nor Robbie Kreiger, but Sam Andrew of Big Brother. I couldn't find a picture of Gurley with anything whammified other than a Strat, although I saw him in person at the Fillmore West waybackwhen with a Bigsby SG.

Jerry Miller has, to my knowledge, never played a guitar with a vibrato, and in fact to this day mostly plays the same Gibson L-5 (named "Beulah") that he played with Moby Grape. I've seen videos of him with an Epiphone Emperor Regent and a Washburn jazzbox (while Beulah was being refinished) --- but neither with any sort of wigglestick.

Likewise I've never seen a picture of McGuinn with any electric other than a vibrato-less Ricky 12, although I suspect he and Croz may have traded guitars onstage or in the studio occasionally, as there are some Byrds tracks with 12-string playing that sounds more like Crosby and less like McGuinn.

I was guessing on Gurley, but I was pretty confident about Robbie. Looked like Densmore on drums.

I thought of Sam Andrew, but really only ever saw any of these guys on album covers. And I thought of CJ & the Fish...but never even knew a guitar player for that band.

Ah well.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.