Modern Gretsch Guitars

Here’s a CS model that turns my crank!!

Nice looking item there.

I can't believe what the Cult of Stern is shellin out for his stuff.

Offer to write a book on custom shop models. The price?

Well ... that's a bit obvious.

Too bad it doesn't come in blue.

Interesting, though I don't know what the catseye does sonically, and I'm not a fan of the double-thumbnail markers.

Too bad it doesn't come in blue.

Interesting, though I don't know what the catseye does sonically, and I'm not a fan of the double-thumbnail markers.

– Proteus

Since when does a Gretsch guitar feature have to have any sonic importance?!

Well, it doesn't. But when a basic design is as perfectly evolved as a chambered Jet, you have to wonder if the impact of cutting a hole in one of the resonant chambers will be for the better or worserer.

Nother words, what's the effect of letting half the air out of a Jet body?

This sounds like one of those zen questions.

Maybe they should have just made it an electrotone body with painted (aka inlaid) f-hole.

I really like reading through a post that can make people think. Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment! happy wheels

Well, it doesn't. But when a basic design is as perfectly evolved as a chambered Jet, you have to wonder if the impact of cutting a hole in one of the resonant chambers will be for the better or worserer.

– Proteus

Style man... style!!!

I like it, but I'm weird anyway.

I like it too but question why the mud switch is located so close to the neck pickup. Does this get in the way of strumming? The outer switch is okay but the other one would have been better located on the other side imo. Love the color though.

I’m not even a fan of blue but I really like this especially if it had double cat eyes..singles make me feel incomplete.But it’s not a relic and the Bigsby is on dead straight ....I dig it.

here's something you don't hear me say too often: i don't think the cat's eye works. neither do the inlays. i think the body is just too cramped for something like that. not a double thumb nail guy, either. you already have hump blocks (or blocks) on deck, why double down on the least interesting of your inlays (dumb dynas = hump blocks, filters = thumbnails dogma aside)?

those aside, i don't hate the thing. rein it back in a little and you've got a winner.

here's something you don't hear me say too often: i don't think the cat's eye works. neither do the inlays. i think the body is just too cramped for something like that. not a double thumb nail guy, either. you already have hump blocks (or blocks) on deck, why double down on the least interesting of your inlays (dumb dynas = hump blocks, filters = thumbnails dogma aside)?

those aside, i don't hate the thing. rein it back in a little and you've got a winner.

– feet

I hate the cat's eye holes. The f holes are just so classic and beautiful...I just can't. Devil's Tool owns the best jet I've ever played.

David, what exact model is your black jet?

This Jet was made in 2012; didn't Stern make a blonde/tort version for Paul Pigat?

This sounds like one of those zen questions.

– Otter

Answer: ask a Rambler owner.

I like it. Even if blue isn't exactly my thing, the color, the cats-eye,and the double neo-classics make it all the more distinctive. Notice it's an Australian seller. Did a currency conversion in case the price was in $ AUD. If it is, that's about $4050US, which sounds more in the ballpark.

I have a Penguin with the cat's eye, and I like it. Not sure what it does to the amplified tone, but it is louder unplugged than one without the hole

Me too. Is it dark Caddy green, or black?

I like the blue Penguin, but that green one, WOW!

I have a Penguin with the cat's eye, and I like it. Not sure what it does to the amplified tone, but it is louder unplugged than one without the hole

– TommyTourbus

Big tip of the hat to Ed for starting this thread, 'cause I'd never have seen this. Wow. The dark Caddy Green, worn gold/brass and the tort binding are gorgeous. Please feel free to post more pics.

Register Sign in to join the conversation